Author Topic: Information on the Pevreal Family/Edgar Pevreal  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Pev

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Information on the Pevreal Family/Edgar Pevreal
« on: Monday 14 July 14 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi guys. I am a member of the Pevreal family and am currently researching (relatively) recent family history. Gathering information from various sources including threads on this site, I have begun composing a family tree that dates back to the parents of William Henry Pevreal, who came to the North Island on the HMS Portland with his wife and six children in 1863. My lineage dates back to William Peverel, a Norman knight who fought at the Battle of Hastings in 1066. Historians believe he was the illegitimate son of William the Conqueror.

I'm certain that William Henry Pevreal (born 1819, died 1872), the one who brought the Pevreal family over to New Zealand, is my ancestor. But the problem is that I have not been able to trace a direct lineage. My great-grandfather is Edgar Alexander Pevreal, a former RAF pilot that fought at the Battle of Singapore, born 1919, died 2005/6. Judging by the birth dates of some other Pevreals, I believe he is a fourth generation Kiwi, so he should be the grandson of one of William Henry Pevreal's four sons: William Jr., Israel, George or Arthur. The problem is, I don't know which one, since neither I nor any of my father's generation know who Edgar's father was. From the tree I've composed so far, which covers parts of four generations of the Pevreal/Pavreal family since migrating to New Zealand, likely candidates for being the father of Edgar may be Evan Israel Pevreal (1879-1944), his brother Richard Andrew Pevreal (1881-1947), one of George Pevreal's three sons who didn't die young (William, George Robert or Herbert Andrew), or even a possible child of Arthur Pevreal, who I know nothing about except that he was born in 1864.

Help would be greatly appreciated, and I'd be willing to share any information on the family for anyone who is curious. If need be, you can send me a message or I can give you my email address.

Thanks,
Pev.

Online spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Information on the Pevreal Family/Edgar Pevreal
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 July 14 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Pev, and welcome. ;D

You posted your enquiry on the Resources & Offers Board and I have moved it to the main New Zealand Board where everyone can see it.

We use a Personal Message (PM) system to exchange email addresses, information about living persons, etc. You need to make another two posts to activate this facility: even a couple of smiley's is fine if not replies to others.

Good hunting. :)

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Pev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 July 14 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Pev, and welcome. ;D

You posted your enquiry on the Resources & Offers Board and I have moved it to the main New Zealand Board where everyone can see it.

We use a Personal Message (PM) system to exchange email addresses, information about living persons, etc. You need to make another two posts to activate this facility: even a couple of smiley's is fine if not replies to others.

Good hunting. :)

Spades
Okay, thanks for the help! :)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 July 14 19:45 BST (UK) »
Greetings, Pev,and a warm welcome to Rootschat.

Assuming that you would prefer not to wait 5 more years to search for Edgar Alexander Pevreal's birth details there does seem to be a way to get hold of them.  The web page www.bdmonline.dia.govt.nz/NonHistoricRecords  gives details on how to search for records less than 100 years old.

I have not used this procedure so I can't be specific about how it works.  Hopefully another Rootschatter may help more.

Good hunting
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 July 14 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Pev,

Where did Edgar Alexander die? I don't see a death in NZ for him

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 July 14 21:25 BST (UK) »
This notice in PapersPast states he was the son of Mrs R A Pevreal

http://www.rootschat.com/links/018ev/

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 July 14 21:31 BST (UK) »
This marriage would fit your dates

1915/1333 Christina Agnes  Thompson to Richard Andrew  Pevreal 

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 July 14 21:54 BST (UK) »
According to Richard Andrew Pevreal's WW1 file,his parents were William Henry and Elizabeth,both born in England

http://ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE10096169

Cheers Janette

Offline Pev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 July 14 21:58 BST (UK) »
This notice in PapersPast states he was the son of Mrs R A Pevreal

http://www.rootschat.com/links/018ev/

Cheers Janette
Thank you so much, that's incredible! I had a hunch Richard was the father, since that's a significant name in my family. And Edgar passed away in Queensland.