Author Topic: Burns Family - Causeway  (Read 3317 times)

Offline WHL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burns Family - Causeway
« on: Saturday 20 July 13 09:29 BST (UK) »
I have been helping some American cousins to find their Irish roots. I am related through their grandmother but their grandfather, Martin Burns,  never spoke about Ireland except to say that he was from Kerry. I did some research and I am 95% sure that he came from a townland called Ballinobeg in Causeway (although this is listed as being in Dromkeen East in the 1901 census). He was the son of John Burns and Elizabeth Diggin. I knew that he had a sister called Elizabeth (Quigley) as he was living with her at the time of the 1920 US census but it now seems that they had other siblings called Denis, John and Mary.
Does anybody have additional information on this family. Does this sound familiar to anybody

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burns Family - Causeway
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 July 13 10:31 BST (UK) »
For reference, here's the family you found in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kerry/Causeway/Dromkeen_East/1420436

looks like the same family in 1911 (not unusual for ages to vary)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kerry/Causeway/Dromkeen__East/272161

I can't see any townland called Ballinobeg (closest is Ballynahow Beg) in www.thecore.com/seanruad townland database.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 July 13 11:26 BST (UK) »
Just to give folk a bit of background (and correct me if I'm wrong), here's some possible candidates for the children in familysearch:

Denis 1874:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FP11-YHV

James 1875:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5MM-C9Y

John 1877:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGD2-TXS

Mary 1880:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGK8-JM9

As Aghadowey said, there isn't a townland called Ballinobeg (or variations).  The name clearly exists in some records, for a quick google will show up several references to it under different spellings.

My understanding is that Causeway is a village in the townland of Dromkeen West.  Your Burns folk in the census records are listed under the townland of Dromkeen East, which is literally only a few hundred yards to the east (Causeway is the DED in the census records).

My first thought is that Ballinobeg (whatever way it is spelled) is a placename only.  There is a townland west of the village of Causeway village in the townland of Dromkeen West called Ballynoe (again, we're only talking hundreds of yards). So I'm wondering, in line with Irish tradition, if there was a smaller area in one of the townlands near to Ballynoe townland (possibly in Dromkeen East) where a place of that name existed (the point being, some Irish place names follow the convention of the larger ones having "more" in the name and the smaller ones "beg" - from the Gaelic -  in the name).

Sorry, rambling a bit, it's probably semantics as you seem to be in the right ballpark and it all seems to be in the civil parish of Killury.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline WHL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 July 13 10:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both of you. I got the reference to Ballinobeg from those baptism records posted by aghadowey but I'd agree with gaffy that it may have been a small townland. I know what happened to Martin and I also know that Elizabeth also lived in the US. I am wondering if any of the other three ever married and if there might be remaining family in the area. They were all single in 1911 though so possibly the family no longer remain locally

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 July 13 10:25 BST (UK) »
Ballinobeg may have been part of a townland but it wasn't a townland (small or otherwise).

There were more than 3 other children besides Martin & Elizabeth-
Denis born 1874 (at home in 1901 and 1911)
James born 1875
John born 1877
Mary born 1880 (at home in 1901 and 1911)

Offline WHL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 July 13 09:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey. I totally missed the new sibling when I read the original posts. Must dig around and find if I can get any additional information on James