Author Topic: KEEFE/O'KEEFFE  (Read 4270 times)

Offline ShirleyX

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
KEEFE/O'KEEFFE
« on: Friday 30 August 13 05:24 BST (UK) »
Help needed to sort out this family relationships

On the ship Queen Bee which left Plymouth on 28 December 1860 and arrived in Sydney, Australia 31 March 1861 are two lots of Keefe famiy's.

Keefe, Cornelius 40 Garden Labourer from Dunneraile, Cork
Keefe, Margaret, 31 wife from Glanworth, Cork
Keefe, Michael, 11 son Middlesex Ireland
Keefe, Honora, 5 dau Middlesex Ireland
Keefe, Cornelius 2 son Middlesex Ireland
Keefe, Richard, 23 Farm Labourer, Dewar, Kerry Ireland

For Richard another lists states:
No 3913, No. of Sponsor 4802, Sponsor: Luke Halpin, Date of Deposit: July 4 1860, Name Richard Keefe, Age: 22, Occupation: Farm Labourer, Living: Duagh Abbeyfeal, County Limerick, Ireland, Referee Michael Galway J.P. Proportion to apply to passage 4 pound: Remarks: Queen Bee

Is Duag Abbeyfeal County Limerick or Dewar Kerry any where near each other - would this be the same person - suggest it is going by all other details.

Is Richard related to the other Keefe family on the same ship? Possibly an Uncle and Aunt?

Richard later became O'Keeffe - or variants and was a butcher and brewer in the Albury area of New South Wales - though at that time Albury being on the border of Victoria and New South Wales, was not defined as being either Victoria or New South Wales.

Have all the details about Richard in Albury but trying to find his parents and any siblings.

Thanks
Shirley
Dudley, Tipton, Worcestshire - ATTWELL, FISHER, RICHARDS, INCE, SHEERWOOD
Greenock, MANNERS, CAMPBELL, MONTGOMERY, LECKIE

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: KEEFE/O'KEEFFE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 August 13 06:22 BST (UK) »
hi there

Surely Albury has been part of NSW at least since Victoria was hived off in 1851 ... BUT Was that the same Cornelius KEEFE whose land was to become the site for CCanberra ACT

Cheers JM
Help needed to sort out this family relationships

On the ship Queen Bee which left Plymouth on 28 December 1860 and arrived in Sydney, Australia 31 March 1861 are two lots of Keefe famiy's.

Keefe, Cornelius 40 Garden Labourer from Dunneraile, Cork
Keefe, Margaret, 31 wife from Glanworth, Cork
Keefe, Michael, 11 son Middlesex Ireland
Keefe, Honora, 5 dau Middlesex Ireland
Keefe, Cornelius 2 son Middlesex Ireland
Keefe, Richard, 23 Farm Labourer, Dewar, Kerry Ireland

No 3913, No. of Sponsor 4802, Sponsor: Luke Halpin, Date of Deposit: July 4 1860, Name Richard Keefe, Age: 22, Occupation: Farm Labourer, Living: Duagh Abbeyfeal, County Limerick, Ireland, Referee Michael Galway J.P. Proportion to apply to passage 4 pound: Remarks: Queen Bee

Is Duag Abbeyfeal County Limerick or Dewar Kerry any where near each other - would this be the same person - suggest it is going by all other details.

Is Richard related to the other Keefe family on the same ship? Possibly an Uncle and Aunt?

Richard later became O'Keeffe - or variants and was a butcher and brewer in the Albury area of New South Wales - though at that time Albury being on the border of Victoria and New South Wales, was not defined as being either Victoria or New South Wales.

Have all the details about Richard in Albury but trying to find his parents and any siblings.

Thanks
Shirley
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ShirleyX

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 August 13 07:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those thoughts. I always thought Albury was part of NSW but some accounts suggest that not everyone was sure that was the case when Victoria split - depends on who is telling the history I suppose.

As for Cornelius - never thought to look at Canberra - will do now.

Shirley

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 August 13 09:35 BST (UK) »
... Keefe, Richard, 23 Farm Labourer, Dewar, Kerry Ireland

Is Richard related to the other Keefe family on the same ship? Possibly an Uncle and Aunt? ...

I can't find any place called 'Dewar' in County Kerry (perhaps someone else will be able to locate Dewar if it exists) but wonder if 'Dewar' was a phoentic spelling of Duag.
Abbeyfeale is just on the Limerick/Kerry border and Duag is onlyabout 5 miles away.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ShirleyX

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 August 13 09:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks

I suppose the way they pronounce  Daug could have sounded like Dewar - as you say these areas are close to each other.

What about Middlesex Ireland - where is this?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 August 13 09:52 BST (UK) »
What about Middlesex Ireland - where is this?

No such townland in Ireland- perhaps another transcription error? Are you looking at a copy of the manifest or a transcription of it?

http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ShirleyX

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 August 13 11:43 BST (UK) »
It states Middlesex on the manifest. I checked again and it doesn't state Ireland next to it so I am of the opinion that they had moved from Ireland to MIddlesex England. So that solves that.

Now just to find out if Richard is related to Cornelius.