Author Topic: Edward Kiernan,Street, westmeath  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Jille37

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Kiernan,Street, westmeath
« on: Sunday 12 October 14 09:08 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on Edward Kiernan, potentially from Street, Westmeath. I know he was a miller (on both his son's marriage certificates) and had at least 2 sons, Patrick, born 1/2/1870 in Longford Workhouse who married Harriet Taaffe, and Francis, born c1864 who married Elizabeth Fagan. Patrick and Francis both lived in Mullingar and I can find them in the 1901 and 1911 census for Mullingar. I'm sure they must have had more brothers and sisters as there are at least 2 other Kiernan families in Mullingar at the same time. On Patrick's birth certificate it gives Edward's place of residence as Street at the time of Patrick's birth in the workhouse and his mothers name as Mary, surname unknown. I'm really stumped with Edward and other potential siblings to Francis and patrick. Any help very gratefully received😊.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jille37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Kiernan,Street, westmeath
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 October 14 09:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you, you are correct with the first suggestion from the 1911 census. This is indeed "my" patrick and Francis, living together in the same house, Francis widowed I think, and patrick soon to be. Sadly, Francis's son, Christy goes off to fight in WW1 and is killed within days of the sight of the end of the war. I don't know what happens to Francis, but Patrick dies in 1911 along with Harriet (not sure what from!).
Not sure about the second post but thank you, I'll look into it  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 October 14 09:51 BST (UK) »
Francis in 1901

Francis with brother Patrick in 1911- see previous post

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 October 14 10:48 BST (UK) »
I think the Patrick Kiernan I found in 1901 is the correct one. Does Patrick's marriage certificate to Harriett in 1903 list his as single or widowed?

Can't easily find a likely death for father Edward pre-1901 (since I haven't located him in either 1901 or 1911 census even searching for an 'Edward' in Westmeath, etc.) so wondering if he could have died elsewhere.

Offline Jille37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 October 14 12:58 BST (UK) »
Yes, Patrick is listed as single on his marriage certificate. The certificate names Edward as his father but doesn't indicate whether he is alive or deceased. I think he was probably dead (or emigrated?) by 1911 as there were no grandparents around to look after Patrick and Harriet's child (Joseph)when they died in 1911. Maybe the fact that Patrick was born in Longford workhouse indicates that Edward was from Longford?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 October 14 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hmm... will have a look later for Patrick Kiernan in 1901 (although occupation, age, etc. still make other one a possibility)

There's a 70 year old Edward Kiernan, a farmer, in 1901 but with wife and family but 1911 census makes him less likely to be correct one:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Longford/Ballinamuck_East/Fostragh/1551715
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Longford/Ballinamuck_East/Fostragh/585346

Offline Jille37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 October 14 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help. Much appreciated!