Author Topic: looking for birth of Matthew O'Neill  (Read 5502 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
looking for birth of Matthew O'Neill
« on: Saturday 13 April 13 17:39 BST (UK) »
according to the 1901 census of poolbeg st dublin matthew was born in carlow circa 1838/1840 i have no specific area ,he also had a brother samuel o'neill who was killed age 24 by a scaffolding plank on a church in dominick st in 1859 i have no birth for him either,the family seem to have come to dublin around 1846 as i have found his siblings being baptised on irish genealogy from then on till about 1857.his parents were Maurice O'Neill and Elizabeth Burke. Elizabeth died 1865 in her 50s and Maurice died 1881 in his 80s according to death certs which i know are not always accurate. I am estimating their marriage date on samuels age about 1834.The great Fenian John Devoy wrote about Matthews involvement in the Fenian movement upon matthews death in 1904 in the Gaelic American in which he said matthew was born in dublin in 1840 but he said that his father Maurice a Young Irelander was from Carlow. Matthew was my greatgrandfather,any help greatly appreciated.All names mentioned were stonecutters by trade.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: looking for birth of Matthew O'Neill
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 January 14 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Dathai, I found 3 births that I think may be people you are loking for. These are from the parish of Bagenalstown.

1 May 1836
John Neil
parents:Maurice Neil/Elizabeth B ?
sponsors:Michael Hanlon/Margaret ?
Ballaghaderneen

6 Sept 1837
Thomas Neil
Parents:Maurice Neil/Eliza B ?
sponsors:William Nolan/Mary M ?
Ballaghademeen

22 December 1839
Matthew Neil
parents:Maurice Neil/Eliza Barker ??
sponsors:Ned ? Frabnkly?/Betty Daly
Upton
(1 May 1836)

With the mother's surname in each case the person whom transcribed these registers cannot make it out and guesses,which sometimes that's all you can do as the registers are so hard to read. Also, I could not locate a birth for Samuel so he may have been born in another parish. Lastly, the date underneath Matthew's birth was transcribed from notes listed beside some of the births.What it refers to ?,but it is interesting that its the same date given for John Neil. Hope this helps,Kim

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 January 14 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Dathai, I also found this;

Marriage:
groom:Matthew Neil
father:Maurice Neil

bride:Honora Green
father:Philip Green

date of marriage: 24 August 1867
place of marriage:Castletown,county Cork

Hope this helps,Kim

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 January 14 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim
          Many thanks for the effort you have gone to for me i appreciate it,but believe it or not i had found two of those births(Stumbled on them) John 1836 and Matthew 1839 while helping someone else on here looking for births in Carlow.
I did not however find the birth of Thomas so thats an added bonus for me and gives me someone else to chase up.
I have been fairly lucky in that the rest of Maurices children appear on Irish Genealogy in Dublin and so do Matthews both in Cork and Dublin.
Matthew headed to Cork in 1867 most likely on the run after the Fenian rising and did not appear back in Dublin till circa 1875 birth of his son Thomas.
The only thing that has me stumped is that when he married age 27 to Honorah green age 17 born 1850 in Cahergarrif he said he was a widower,have yet to find his first marriage.
I do know that he was in London in 1864 for a while and came back Patricks day 1865 and later that year was involved in the escape of James Stephens from Richmond Jail was arrested in 1866 held for 9 months in Mountjoy (see James Byrne his Alias N Y P L  Mountjoy Photos with John Devoy) sent to America Sept 1866 and returned secretely before the rising of 1867.
I suspect he may have married in London as on his prison file he makes several appeals to be allowed to return to England as he was pretending to be James Byrne an Artist from London but they said America or nothing.
Hope i havent bored you with this bit of history.
Many thanks again.
Regards Dathai.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 February 14 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim
          just realised this Thomas 1837 most likely died as there is another one recorded for the couple in the 1840s, this brother appears as The Rev Brother Thomas in Matthews obituary.
While inquiring into the record of a grand uncle detained in Artane industrial School 1900 i happened to mention Thomas's name and that he was a Christian brother,the Christian brothers sent me back a huge file on him and all his postings in Ireland and an added bonus that his other brother James was also a Christian brother.
Thomas rose to Bro Superior at the O'Brien Institute,Marino 1901/1911 census Dublin and is buried on their grounds.