Author Topic: Wrights in Kingston, Jamaica  (Read 25264 times)

Offline Willsam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wrights in Kingston, Jamaica
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 February 14 06:36 GMT (UK) »
I think that I can send an international postal money order; our postal service (Canada Post) has an arrangement with Jamaica I think.  I will contact them tomorrow.  Will the digital image be sent by post as well? 

On another note, I recently read a book called "The Juggler's Children" which is a non-fiction account of a journalist's attempt to trace her ancestry.  Although there is a lot of information about DNA testing, there is also an account of her search to find her family roots in Jamaica.  She eventually uses the services of a Jamaican genealogist who has a great deal of experience in tracing family lines.   The genealogist that she used is Diane T. Golding-Frankson. She has recently worked on genealogies of celebrities featured in the BBC series Who Do You Think You Are? Her website is:  http://www.genealogyplusjamaica.com  I am considering using her to do some research.

Offline Vimeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 February 14 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Oh, that would be good! The email address is Archives Unit <jarchives@jard.gov.jm> and it was Kasiya Halstead who replied - she said:

"Thank you for your email. We have found a letter of testamentary for William Wright.

1B/11/18/52 folio 262 (1 page)
On Whom Estate: William Wright
Whom Qualified: Ann Wright
When Proved: 7th July 1864

The cost to obtain a digital image of this document is £25. We accept payment is the form of an international postal money order or bank draft. It must be addressed to the Permanent Secretary of the Office of the Prime Minister however, it must be sent to the Jamaica Archives and Records Department at the Corner of King and Manchester Streets, Spanish Town, St. Catherine."

She didn't say how they send the image though.

Thanks for the info about Diane T. Golding-Frankson. I contacted a Jamaican researcher back in 2011 (not Diane) but she was awfully expensive (I only wanted two records checked), and I didn't go ahead.

Offline Willsam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 March 14 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information on who to contact, Vimeira.  I was unable to access this site on Friday for some reason, so I will get on with the ordering on Monday.

Offline Vimeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 02 March 14 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for update. Hopefully it will at least mention his children - could you let me know please? (I asked them if they took travellers cheques but they've not replied yet - would be useful to know in case I want to order anything else.)

Offline Willsam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 03 March 14 20:23 GMT (UK) »
I have sent off an email to the Jamaican Archives and included you question about traveller's cheques.  I certainly will share the information with you if we are successful.  Will let you know when there is some news.

Offline Vimeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 March 14 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Willsam. Meanwhile I'm trying to find out how the two Jamaican Wright families and the two English Wright families are connected!

Offline Vimeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Willsam, I misunderstood. The UK doesn't do International Postal Orders (which is what they asked for) but British Postal Orders are acceptable in Jamaica. So I could have ordered William Wright's will after all - but he's your ancestor, so better for you to have it!

Offline Vimeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 March 14 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Willsam, I asked Donald Lindo about William and Ann Wright being cousins, and he kindly sent a very informative scan of the 1924 Jamaica Who's Who about William Baggett Gray - though it doesn't say how William and Ann are cousins. Is there some way I can send it to you? The pages are too big to attach readably here.

Offline Willsam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in responding Vimeira.  I sent a bank draft to the Jamaican Archives.  It will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to send the copy.  I hope to send for more information this way, but will use this as a test to see how long they take to respond.

Thank you for the information from Donald Lindo.  Is it possible to send the copies by email or do you need my home address?  I gather I can send a personal private email through this site under "My Messages" at the top of this page.