Author Topic: Bath Street School  (Read 9424 times)

Offline tuamite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bath Street School
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 December 11 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Has anyone any information on the  Headmistress Miss Maud Drury of Bath St, School  1909-1916, or any pictures of the school.  Is the school still open?
Many thanks
Tuamite

Offline magnacarta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 December 11 11:20 GMT (UK) »
womblet, my Gran lived there for many years, I understand the wash house was the place to go. I remember the loo I am sure it was elevated and had a dark wood seat,I remember the gas mantles, and the tiled stairwells. 

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 December 11 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Moorfields School closed in 2004

http://www.thecnj.com/islington/2008/060608/inews060608_05.html

From the photograph it looks like the old school building was replaced

http://www.thecnj.com/islington/2008/100308/inews100308_11.html

If photographs survive and earlier records they will be held at the London Metropolitan Archives.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JohnRolfe1950

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 November 14 18:48 GMT (UK) »
well bath st was morefields when i got there in1958 we had been living in guinness buildings since
  about 1954 i would have been 18 months old then we had moved  from murton st. me my big sister
 mum and dad. sister being 4 years older guinness buildings were far better than the house we had
 before but now seems quite bad no electrics gas lights no bath a shared loo and only three small
 rooms one large sink in the corner of the larger room a piped radio which then seemed fantastic
 it was a hard life for mum an dad but i didnt need for much bar the tin bath in front of the fire i was 
 always last in ( me being the dirty one ) ........ sorry for going on if i can help with anything please let
 me know what i cant remember big sis can ...and theres a great photo of bath st. school on friends
 reunited that i could down load ( maybe ) if you need it bye for now ...

My husbands family lived in guiness bldgs lever street and went to bath st school .Do you remember The Rolfes there were nine children .My husband was John Rolfe

Offline theenglishman1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 November 18 17:56 GMT (UK) »
I was born in Ironmonger st which leads onto Lever Street, I attended Bath street/Moorfields school twice! I was born 1947 not sure if I was 3 or 4 when I started there. The class was run by a very old silver haired lady who gave out malt tablets to the children, we listen to a children's programme on the radio in the ground floor hall. In the nursery was a wooden rocking horse which seem to have a life of its own.

Then the girls from Old Street school use to attend an out building for cooking and sewing classes and ask the little kids to buy large cigarettes from the shop in Bath Street.

The Caretaker did in fact live in a house in the playground, where the toilets were.

Teachers I remember are Comey, wexler and a welsh lady teacher.

The school had a fire at the top of the building I believe, not sure of the year.

There is another school now built on the site.

Classes were mixed when I was there and we all mixed at beak times.

There was a canteen type of thing where we went for lunch I remember some of the faces more than others.

Sure others can elucidate more if I have jogged any memories.

EJSC

Offline fred46

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 15:04 GMT (UK) »
I started Bath Street in 1951 I do have form pictures in 1955 with pupils as named
Moorfields Primary School, Radnor Street, London EC1, Mrs J Chatwin with her class, 1955. BACK ROW:- Alan Stratford, Michael Walker, John Fullarton, Roland Sais, Colin Covell, Harry Field, Victor Hart, David Carr, Alan Button, John Dowling. MIDDLE ROW:- John Arrowsmith, Raymond Mann, Alan Hughes, Barbara Tew, Joan Cole, Vivian Edwards, Jacqueline Squires, Vicky Cackett, Frederick Brown, Raymond Smythe, Brian Stephens. FRONT ROW:- Linda Taylor, Pauline Cromer, Linda Duff, Pat Prosser, Janice Baker, Mrs Chatwin, Jane Shipman, Ellen Welch, Valerie Hammond, Christine Card, Pat Martin. SEATED:- Leonard Jones, Leslie Newby, Bobby McDonald See less

The picture which is not complete is 1956
And on of an Ariel view of the Bath Street School

I do hope that some names are remembered

FRED

Offline Hyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 January 22 20:04 GMT (UK) »
I started Bath Street in 1951 I do have form pictures in 1955 with pupils as named
Moorfields Primary School, Radnor Street, London EC1, Mrs J Chatwin with her class, 1955. BACK ROW:- Alan Stratford, Michael Walker, John Fullarton, Roland Sais, Colin Covell, Harry Field, Victor Hart, David Carr, Alan Button, John Dowling. MIDDLE ROW:- John Arrowsmith, Raymond Mann, Alan Hughes, Barbara Tew, Joan Cole, Vivian Edwards, Jacqueline Squires, Vicky Cackett, Frederick Brown, Raymond Smythe, Brian Stephens. FRONT ROW:- Linda Taylor, Pauline Cromer, Linda Duff, Pat Prosser, Janice Baker, Mrs Chatwin, Jane Shipman, Ellen Welch, Valerie Hammond, Christine Card, Pat Martin. SEATED:- Leonard Jones, Leslie Newby, Bobby McDonald See less

The picture which is not complete is 1956
And on of an Ariel view of the Bath Street School

I do hope that some names are remembered

FRED

Offline Hyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Fred.
What a wonderful surprise to see these Class photos in Moorfields Primary School ( Bath Street)
 in the 50s.!
I am in the picture..it looks like Next to you. Vicky Cackett ( as was ).
I also know my friend is still in touch with Alan Button.!
I used to walk up from Old St..and City Road. Do you remember their were Horses then,. ?
 I can recall passing two beautiful Drey horses on the way to school called ‘Time and Tide’  that used to stop outside the Pub.
I can’t think why I remember them ,? Perhaps because they were quite unusual to see on the streets of London.
What good days and times we had then.
I hope life has treated you well.

Thank you so much for the memories.!