Author Topic: Too many Morgans!  (Read 11185 times)

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Too many Morgans!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 14:18 BST (UK) »
Having another go at tracing William Morgan father of David Walter Morgan.He may have married Elizabeth Bullock at St.James Palace chapel in 1717.Have so far failed to find if this Elizabeth was related to the Bullocks of Faulkborne Hall in Essex.Faulkbourne is very close to Little and Great Leighs where the Olmius family owned property and where the Olmius family installed David Walter Morgan as rector.They would have been mixing in the same strata of society so there could be a link.
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 April 14 10:07 BST (UK) »
Having another look for William Morgan father of David Walter Morgan.Trying to get at him through his brother John Morgan.One thing that bothers me is whether John Morgan, barrister at law could have been the same person as the rev. John Morgan rector of Little Leighs,Essex. What is the likelihood of someone at that time having two careers in the Church and the law?I have found out some more about children of John Morgan.Daughter Amelia was the second wife of John Foster( b.1765) of Brickhill,Bedfordshire.Married 1803.Daughter of John Morgan esq. barrister at law,Recorder of Maidstone.Another daughter was Maria (1777--1857) who married John Luttrell Olmius.She became Countess of Carhampton. A son of John Morgan was R.Morgan esq. of Norwich.Another son was Captain Edward Morgan who married Harriot.Their son Edward Olmius Morgan was b.1817 at Walton,Suffolk. He studied at Trinity College,Cambridge.In 1855 he married Eliza Harper Court in 1855 at Cardiff.He died in 1887 at Honiton,Devon.They had lived at Sidmouth.If anyone has anything to add it would be much appreciated especially if there are any links to William Morgan
Morgan in London.Brimmell in Gloucester.Truman in London and Norfolk.Spratt in London,Stroud,and U.S.A.Berriman in London,Cornwall,and Australia.Steer in London.Blackburn in Essex.

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 09:55 BST (UK) »
Have decided that the Rev. John Morgan,vicar of Little Leighs.Essex was a different person to the John Morgan .Recorder of Maidstone although I am sure they must have been related.The Rev Morgan was vicar at Little Leighs from 1750 to his death in 1778 when he was succeeded by my ancestor David Walter Morgan until his death in 1795. The lawman John Morgan was definitely alive after 1778 and may have died in 1803.Apart from his two daughters Amelia and Maria  he had two sons Richard Morgan of Norwich and Edward Morgan who may have been Captain Edward Morgan,customs officer of Felixstowe (his son Edward Olmius Morgan was born 1817 at Walton,Felixstowe). Richard Morgan(b.1786) married a Phillida. The 1841 census gives Richard,b.1875,occ."actuary" (I think) wife Phillida,son Richard age 25,accountant and daughter Margaret age 5.They were living at Chapelfield Grove,Norwich.The 1851 census gives London as the  place of birth of Richard and Phillida.They are living at Chapelfield Place,Norwich.His occ. looks like "Actuary customs office" but I am not sure of that.With them are son Richard E. born 1810 Norwich,accountant and grand daughter Margaret O. born 1836 at Hellesdon(near Norwich).

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 14:04 BST (UK) »
Having another look at Ann Morgan daughter of David Walter Morgan and sister of my ancestor John Drigue Morgan. I am not sure of her DOB but think it was probably a few years after her brother in the 1760s.I believe she married Thomas Morgan in 1803 at St.Mary,Marylebone Road.She died in 1835 at Greenwich, possibly at the home of her sister Elizabeth (by that time she was widowed). Sister Elizabeth was born in 1765 and married Peter Osborn in 1801. He had a Civil Service post and they lived at Shooters Hill.Could she have married a distant relative? I don`t think at that time first cousins were allowed to marry. In the will of brother John of around 1830 he mentions that sister Ann may benefit from the sale of farms near Carmarthen. Perhaps they belonged to her husband`s family or maybe the Morgans were all related. I have a copy of the will of David Walter Morgan. It is very hard to follow and seems only to mention his wife.

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 September 14 18:27 BST (UK) »
At last I have made a bit of progress. I have found a reference to John Morgan,attorney,Recorder of Maidstone concerning a law case heard by the Law Lords brought by Sir Watkin Lewes in 1807, who was an emminent attorney and had served as Lord Mayor of London. Incidently the unfortunate man died as a debtor,not actually in prison but under a sort of house arrest, despite winning the case against Morgan. Morgan had obtained loans for Watkin Lewes which had caused or contributed to his debt. As a result Morgan came into possession of land and estates in Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire and Glamorgan. In the will of my ancestor John Drigue Morgan in 1830 he mentions the sale of farms in Carmarthenshire which his sister Ann might inherit.In the legal case John Morgan`s brothers Chadrin  and James are mentioned. This has enabled me to pin them down:-James Morgan b.St.Andrews, Holborn. Parents James & Catherine
John Morgan b.1744 St.Andrews,Holborn, parents James & Catherine
Chadrin Morgan b.1751. St.Andews,Holborn. Parents James & Catherine.
Also James Morgan m.1741,Westminster,  Catherine Jones
John Morgan m. Amelia Farrer 1775
Chadrin Morgan died 1778.
I still need to establish a connection with my ancestor William Morgan of Southwark.Interestingly sitting with the Law Lords at this time was Baron Garrow (William Garrow of "Garrows Law" fame who had become a Law Lord after his distiguished career). Also interesting was some reference to John Morgan and his wife while they lived at the Inner Temple. Neighbours of theirs for a time were Charles Lamb (the poet and writer) and his sister Mary. Mary had killed her mother with a carving knife during an attack of insanity,and had several further bouts of insanity which required her being taking into care.One of these occured prior to a supper date with the Morgans, the news being passed on by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, the poet who was another neighbour as was the essayist William Hazlitt.

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Still not given up on John Morgan,attorney, Recorder of Maidstone. His parents may have been James and Catherine. If I could trace them maybe I could establish a link with my ancestor William Morgan. If this is the right John Morgan he was b. 1751 St.Andrews, Holborn.

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 January 15 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I think his birth may have been 1744. Have found a possible link with David Walter Morgan. They could have been cousins! John Morgan`s father James may have married  Catherine Jones 1741, Westminster. There is a James Morgan b. 8th May, 1694 at St.Andrews, Holborn, parents William and Dorothy. Also with parents William and Dorothy is William Morgan b. 1st May 1698 at St. Andrews,Holborn. John Morgan married Amelia Farrer 6th May St.Andrews, Holborn. William Morgan married Elizabeth Jones of St. Georges Southwark in 1730. Perhaps she was the sister of Catherine. There is an Elizabeth Jones b. 21st Oct 1705 St. Andrews, Holborn parents Richard and Sandra.The father of Amelia Farrer was William Farrer (1656--1737) of the Inner Temple (where John Morgan resided) His will of 1727 gives his address as St. George the Martyr (Southwark?) John Morgan was involved in a protracted law suit involving Sir Watkin Lewis (1740--1821). He had been Lord Mayor of London but ended his days living under the jurisdiction of the Fleet Prison having got into financial difficulties. Part of these involved money borrowed on the advice of John Morgan,his brother Chadrin ,and other family members. Their part in his downfall seems rather dubious to say the least. The will of John Drigue Morgan of around 1830 mentions "two farms near Carmarthen" which may have been extorted from the unfortunate Sir Watkin! Any comments on my findings would be welcome.

Offline OrganicJohn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 February 15 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Have done some more research on Watkin Lewes, MP,and Lord Mayor of London. Apparently the legal case between him and John Morgan lasted for 40 years-- worthy of a storyline from Dickens!
I think it most likely that the Thomas Morgan who married Ann Morgan the sister of my ancestor John Drigue Morgan, was a nephew of John Morgan. He would have been a second cousin to Ann Morgan in that case.He would have been quite likely to have inherited as several of John Morgan`s brothers were involved with him in the court case.It would explain the "farms near Carmarthen" mentioned in the will of John Drigue Morgan.

Offline gracem

• RootsChat Extra
  • The clock of life is wound but once..
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 February 16 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any link to the Samuel Morgan Carpenter (builder) of Maid Lane Southwark? His son William bn circa 1734? m possibly Jane Duvall then Frances ? Loads of children St Andrews Holborns, St Dunstan in the West, Fleet St and Whitefriars. He was a printer
Fray (all UK linked), Ford;
Hutchins, Lawford;
Barnes, Lowman;
Adlam, Jukes;
Nash,Dowsett;
Bradbury,Bruce;
Shaw,Ramshaw;
Sharvell,Lewis;