Author Topic: Help Please with Brick wall - Mary Barnes c1863 - 1967  (Read 5062 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please with Brick wall - Mary Barnes c1863 - 1967
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 October 13 01:47 GMT (UK) »
I had wondered about the gap between the 1891 census / Samuel George's 1891 birth and Thomas's death in 1896. No more kids?

So I looked at FreeBMD for Puplett births in Wandsworth reg dist in that period, and lo and behold:

Joseph Puplett, December quarter 1893

I wonder whether he is the Joseph Pupplett in South Metropolitan District Schools, Sutton, Surrey, in 1901. In fact, there is a whole list of Pupletts there:

James, 1888 Battersea
Joseph, 1890, not known
Samuel, 1891 not known [is this your Samuel George?]
Thomas, 1892 not known (age corrected by you? from 1882)
Edward, 1893 Battersea
(James, Thomas and Joseph are on the same page.)

Now what you said was:

four children: Mary Rosina 1885, Thomas Jas 1886, John Edward 1889 & Samuel George 1891.
I have found her sons Thomas, John & Samuel in 1901 (Thomas with his paternal GM, John & Sam in Industrial School, no sign of Mary Rosina)

so I'm not sure whether this is fitting in or not. I don't see another Sam in 1901, for instance, and I don't see a match for John 1889.

A Thomas Samuel W Puplett was born in Greenwich in 1890 who could account for the Thomas in that list. But no, he was with parents Joseph and Jane in 1891 in Greenwich and grandmother Sarah Dixon in Woodville in 1901

Anyhow, just wondering whether you'd considered the possibility of other births after 1891, and whether that might help find Mary if maybe she had a younger child with her. No luck so far ...

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 October 13 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janey,

There was Sarah Kate May 1894 - 1895, Joseph b 1893 is not theirs. The Thomas in Woodville with Sarah Dixon is my Thomas James & Thomas in the School is Thomas Samuel William. Having gone back to my tree, I don't actually have John Edward in 1901? Not sure what I was thinking there? So finding mother Mary, John Edward or Mary Rosina in 1901 should be a great help!

Thank you so much for hanging in there with me, this has driven me crazy for so many years!

Kind regards,

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline Mariam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, just joined this site and would like to try and help, although your post was a year ago so you may have made progress since then!

Mary Barnes was my great grandmother too, my grandfather was Thomas James Puplett. I would love to know more about the Puplett family history, I did start about 4 years ago and found some of the records you mention and am now looking back into this and found your post.

I believe I may have a photo of Mary Barnes, but would need to check with my uncle again first.

Offline Mariam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 October 14 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,

Thanks for your message, It's not letting me reply via messaging...and I'm not sure if I can post my email here, but my business is * , look at contact page, easy!

If you can send me yours that would be great. I live just outside London, hence the time lag!

Best regards, Maria M

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 October 14 09:50 BST (UK) »
You need to make 3 posts before the PM system is available to you!

It helps to stop spammers! ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Mariam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 October 14 10:13 BST (UK) »
Ah....thanks for the info!

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 October 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Mariam, I have sent you my email by pm, Jo  :)
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 October 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
Oh, and welcome to Rootschat! The people, knowledge, advice, talent, imagination and generosity shown on her is amazing, you will find it a true treasure trove.

Jo  :)
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline Rosemary Ruth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 May 16 05:52 BST (UK) »

Mary Rosina is my grandmother.  I believe her mother Mary Barnes died quite young in her 30s?  The father and boys were lightermen on the Thames.  Mary Rosina was a trained nurse who served in WW1, married a young officer called Astbury who was killed in The Somme.  Her daughter was born a few months later.  Her brother Samuel George Gordon "ran away to sea" as a boy, joined up in Australia and was repatriated to Australia at the end of the war.  Thomas served in WW1 receiving a DCM and the younger brother Jack was killed in 1914.  I have some photos I would be happy to share, but very little information beyond my grandmother's generation.  I would really like to see what you have found going back.