Author Topic: John Welch of Newton Stewart , Ayrshire milita.  (Read 4935 times)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Welch of Newton Stewart , Ayrshire milita.
« on: Monday 21 April 14 10:51 BST (UK) »
Good evening
Can anyone add more information to the little I have of John Welch born c1789-91 Newton Sewart Wigstown.  I am led to believe he was a Blacksmith. At the time of his marriage to Mary Cardwell he was a Private in the 2nd Ayrshire Local Militia. I am looking for information as to his parents and any siblings.  I must be looking in all the wrong places as I can't find anything out about him.
Thanks for reading this and any info will be extremely welcome.
Blacksmithy
Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: John Welch of Newton Stewart
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 April 14 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

http://www.freecen.org.uk/ has a John Welsh aged 60 blacksmith born Newton Stewart , with wife Mary(1851 Census).
Living at Kilbarchan , Renfrew.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ has a death for a John Welch 1867 Kilbarchan Renfrew , born c1790.
Hopefully that will give you his parents names.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 April 14 22:45 BST (UK) »
hi ev
many thanks for your help, I think it is now safe to confirm that I have my man  :)
Are you able to tell me if there is any way of searching for any of his siblings, I haven't had any luck today on Scotlands People and there are no census records of this time.  William and Alexander are very strong family names even today they still keep featuring so I added those to the search as a starting point.

Again thanks for you help as I have gone back one more generation and now think I may well be at the end (or beginning!!).

Cheers
Blacksmithy

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ayrshire milita and John & Mary Welch
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 April 14 23:53 BST (UK) »
Good morning
I am looking for some guidance regarding John Welch (b circa 1791) and Mary Caldwell (b circa 1791-3 to William Caldwell and Janet Speirs). 
John was born in Wigstown and came up to Irvine were he married Mary. 
Their first child Jane born in 1815 probably in Ayrshire, the next child Mary b 1816 was born in Beith, and subsequent children born in Renfrewshire.  I have information about them from this time on through census records etc. 
John's occupation is recorded in later census as a Blacksmith, but he was a private in the 2nd Ayrshire Militia when they married in 1813.  I am very interested to know exactly what this was as have found it difficult to figure out on the websites.
Also any information on William Caldwell (?B 1760 ?farmer) and Janet Speirs (?B 1764) and where to look would be helpful. 

I may be coming to the end of my search backwards as information is getting harder to locate.

Thank you for your time in reading this and any info would be greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards
Blacksmithy

Moderator comment , topics merged to prevent duplication.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you tried the Wigtownshire Pages on Roots Web? (You can find them by googling). They have transcriptions from the OPRs for Penninghame Parish which contained Newton Stewart.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ayrshire milita and John & Mary Welch
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
This post caught my attention just before I called it a day and went to bed. ;)
Have you seen the book Records of the Ayrshire Militia from 1802 to 1883?
Looby :)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Welch of Newton Stewart , Ayrshire milita.
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 May 14 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you all for your replies.  I will head for a look in the directions suggested and see what there is.
My sincere apologies for not replying sooner, I had the opportunity to go and do some research in and headstone hunting on another side of the family in a remote location (very successful), but now back on deck again with renewed interest in the Welsh branch.

Cheers
Blacksmithy