Author Topic: Annie Gray dob 01/09/1871  (Read 5974 times)

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Gray dob 01/09/1871
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 November 12 18:13 GMT (UK) »
There is one thing which is a long shot....
I have a tree handwritten by my grandmother at age 80 so the writing is a bit wobbly.
John Reid Nicolson and Annie Nicolson had a son in 1906 but he died 15 days after birth. I assume it was in Chile. The name though is John Harry? (could be Harvey) Skinner Nicolson.
Could Skinner be a clue?
James

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 July 13 10:38 BST (UK) »
It's proving a little difficult as we get further and further back. The skinner name perplexes me... there is a Nicolson marrying the daughter of The Revd. John Skinner who was quite a big man in Scotland and in Longside which is about 40 odd miles away from Stonehaven. However, I cannot link up yet. But this Skinner name crops up much much later, in the name of my grandmother's elder brother who died after 15 days. I wonder why. Coincidence. Skinner is unusual and as a third name suggests there's a family link (maiden name) somewhere.
The Stonehaven Nicolsons are stalling now I am into the 18th century.
Alexander Nicolson abt 1790 - 9 Jan 1870 (Stonehaven) has his father listed as a Miller and underneath where normally the mother's name is I think it actually says Meal & Barley unless anyone can see a name there...

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 July 13 15:30 BST (UK) »

Alexander Nicolson abt 1790 - 9 Jan 1870 (Stonehaven) has his father listed as a Miller and underneath where normally the mother's name is I think it actually says Meal & Barley unless anyone can see a name there...

Hi Jimvin

Agree with you on that. It would seem that mother's name was unknown to the informant and left blank for the registration of Alexander's death.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 July 13 16:05 BST (UK) »

I have recently discovered a passport issued by the Chilean Consulate which lists Annie's dob as 1st September 1871 in Hawick.

Regarding Annie, you can only go with the info you have as fact (ignoring any possible embelishments  ::)) otherwise, you cannot focus on any line of research.

Have you considered the possibility she may have been illegitimate? Have you come across this entry as a possibility for her https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQC5-7Y8

Little possible steps only...If Annie was born illegitimate, maybe the Gray name came in to her life later. There is this marriage in Wilton, Rox. for example in 1875 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYQ1-DL8

Monica

Added: Glad to see this is already covered  ;D www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,643462.0.html

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk