Author Topic: Martin Mahon born Co Galway 1837  (Read 7445 times)

Offline Obwan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Martin Mahon born Co Galway 1837
« on: Monday 20 June 11 04:52 BST (UK) »
Looking for any help or ideas how to find a birth for Martin Mahon born county Galway 1837.  On his death certificate his parents are named as Martin Mahon and Bridget (maiden name unknown).  These names could be correct or not. His 1st child was named Bridget, his 2nd Margaret, 3rd Thomas and 4th Martin, so his parent's names do fit.   Martin traveled as an assisted passenger to South Africa in  1860 his age given as 23 and "from" listed as Co. Galway.  I have purchased all the Martin Mahon baptism 1836 - 1838 on Rootsireland.ie for Co. Galway and a couple more as well, yet none fit.  He was Roman Catholic.  I have no way of identifying a specific parish but would be happy to write to everyone if you think that might help.  Fingers cross for a glimmer of hope.  Thank you.     
Gedge, Dawson, Bullimore - Norfolk
Bourn/e, Watkins, Walter/s, Jones - England and Wales
Curran family - Scotland and Ireland.
Frasers - Bellshills Scotland.
Rippey - Scotland and New Zealand
Porter Nova Scotia Canada and New Zealand

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Mahon born Co Galway 1837
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 June 11 09:12 BST (UK) »
You really need to know where your Mahon family lived to do a proper search since quite a number of Galway parishes do not have records back to 1837, so there's no guarantee that a baptism record actually exists for your Martin .

e.g. Spiddal baptism records go back to 1861, Roundstone to 1872, Kilbride to 1853, Ross 1853, Rossmuck 1840.... etc

For details on the RC parishes, and dates they have records, see the maps on the Irish Times website : RC Parishes, East Co. Galway  RC Parishes West Co. Galway

Introduction to Irish Records
  My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Obwan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 June 11 20:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this heads up.  I will keep searching for a Parish but after 3 years of trying I am not optimistic.  At least now I know there are gaps in the records.  Olwyn

Offline Itneill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 August 14 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, found your post as am looking for info re Martin Mahon - he is my Great grandfather - hope we can speak soon regards Ian

Looking for any help or ideas how to find a birth for Martin Mahon born county Galway 1837.  On his death certificate his parents are named as Martin Mahon and Bridget (maiden name unknown).  These names could be correct or not. His 1st child was named Bridget, his 2nd Margaret, 3rd Thomas and 4th Martin, so his parent's names do fit.   Martin traveled as an assisted passenger to South Africa in  1860 his age given as 23 and "from" listed as Co. Galway.  I have purchased all the Martin Mahon baptism 1836 - 1838 on Rootsireland.ie for Co. Galway and a couple more as well, yet none fit.  He was Roman Catholic.  I have no way of identifying a specific parish but would be happy to write to everyone if you think that might help.  Fingers cross for a glimmer of hope.  Thank you.   

Offline Obwan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 October 14 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Ian  Which Mahon child was your great grandparent?   

Offline Itneill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 October 14 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, Margaret Florence Mahon was my grandmother - Martin Mahon & Mary Rae were her parents - Was just in Galway looking for his home town "Lawley" noted on his death certificate but went to another area some contacts thought it actually was...nothing much there though!!

Offline Obwan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 October 14 22:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry Ian, we are not connected.   My Martin Mahon emigrated to NZ.  Was married to Mary Lynch in 1864, after her death he married Ann/e Galvin in 1877.   Their son Martin never married. 

Offline Itneill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 October 14 23:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - was close - my Martin was born 1836 approx in Galway - Mahon seems common there! they pronounce Mahon "May-Hen " over there which is why some of the family certificcate are spelt Mahen & Mehen - irish accent need sub titles!! - good luck - maybe we are related just further back!

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys

I'm not sure if I will be able to help but I shall give some pointers.

As Shane told you our civil registration only began in 1864 so prior to that you need to look for church baptisms.

It is VERY random as to what churches' records have survived and / or are online.

So, when looking for church baptisms you need ~

Father's Name
Mother's Christian AND Maiden Name
Townland and Parish

So, I'm afraid that you guys don't have much to go on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Are these 2 different families too ?

OBWAN ~ you say that YOU Martin Mahon was born abt 1836 in Galway to a Martin & Bridget Mahon and he then emmigrated to to South Africa in 1860.

ITNEILL ~ YOUR Martin Mahon was born abt 1836 in Galway.What were HIS parent's names and where did he emmigrate to ?

Tara