Author Topic: BURKE Winifred... Transported to Australia 1840. Help Please.  (Read 8376 times)

Offline Faysie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BURKE Winifred... Transported to Australia 1840. Help Please.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 23:15 GMT (UK) »
 :) Good Morning to you Gaffy & Tara,

Many Thanks for both your responses... please know that I greatly appreciate hearing from you and I have now a few websites to look at and try and make "headnortail" of my GG Grandmother Winifred...

Firstly I must say that none of the names that you have mentioned of the children are familiar with Winifred's children here in Oz....in all she had about 11 children with 2 Marriages....I did not know that "Ward" was a common Irish name....

Winifred told quite a few " Fibs" during her lifetime and to my way of thinking she was what I call a ' Survivor'...to care for her family after her first husband ( my GG Grandfather died)...She told that her name was Elizabeth Sech ( Irish Brogue Accent) Saich was her married name..... and also mentions Stockport....years ago I tried looking in England for a Birth of Elizabeth Burke in Stockport to no avail, then I tried Prison records there as Winifred committed an earlier offence and was sentenced to 6 months in Prison.... where I do not know.... I also found that after she was sentenced to Transportation she went to Grange Gorman Prison before departure.....

Would it be possible that this Prison had Archive Records ????  ( Just asking).

It has taken me 20 years of research to try and find out about her as earlier there was no Irish records here in Australia to check.... the  National Archives of Ireland made a gift to Australia about the Irish Convicts and that is where I found most of my Information about her arrival...

Thank you both again .....and if I find anything I will post .... although I may ask again if that's OK.

Have a wonderful Day.

Cheers

Faysie :)

Sach/Saich- Essex.
Kent & North Family - Hampshire.
Burke- Co Galway Ireland
Sharp/e- Sth Kyme-Pinchbeck & Blankney, Spalding- Lincolnshire, also Dorrington , Holland fen & Leicestershire.
Peck, Welbourn & Leadenha Lincolnshire
Plowright - Pinchbeck. Lincolnshire
Higman & Seldon Family- Stoke Damerol. Devon.
Freebody -Middlesex-London
Gravel- Prestwich. Manch-Lancashire
Fraser/Frazer- Salford  Manch Lancashire &  Staffordshire
Berry- Bollington. Cheshire
Micklethwaite -Stalybridge & Tintwhistl