Author Topic: Totally Lost. 1817 birth  (Read 2262 times)

Online carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Totally Lost. 1817 birth
« on: Sunday 06 April 14 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have a John Comber b 1817 Ballindrina, Parish of Tynagh, Loughrea, Co Galway, Ireland. I believe his parent's are Patrick Comber b 1790 and Ann Wheelan 1795. John married Bridget Thornton in 1840 Ireland. She came from Co Galway.
John and Bridget Comber (Cowper) went to Australia on the Orient Dec 1840. John was 23 and a Tailor. Bridget was 20 wife and Dressmaker. Both were RC. Any help in tracing this family in Ireland would be most appreciated. Websites Parish regesters anything. Where is Galway? Do not know Ireland at all.

Carol
             In New Zealand
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Totally Lost. 1817 birth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 April 14 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol
Galway is a county in the west of Ireland. Google will reveal all !!
On the PPV website www.RootsIreland.ie which holds most of the baptism records for Co Galway online - there are records for 2 children born to Patrick Comber and Ann Wheelan in the parish of Tynagh. They are Patrick Comber - 1817 and Edmund Comber - 1820. However no sign of a John born to them. Nor do I find a marriage for Patrick Comber and Anne Wheelan or the 1840 marriage of John and Bridget. The records may be worth purchasing if you are confident that these are John's parents.
Also to be aware the records on RootsIreland are transcriptions of the original parish registers and incomplete and many contain errors, but at the moment it is all we have to go on online.