Author Topic: Beresfords Lanarkshire Scotland  (Read 16203 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Beresfords Lanarkshire Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 April 11 11:09 BST (UK) »
The hints are probably in the birth records showing on IGI in Dromore, Down, Ireland. Have you managed to confirm John and Ellen Jane's parents' names from their death certs? It is probably the next stage for you. There does look to be a possible marriage also in 1850 from the LDS pilot site here http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home

John Berrisfield (father John) and Ellen Jane Gamble (aged 20, father Hugh)  married on 12 april 1850. Regsitration district given as Bambridge Vol.2 pg.462

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 April 11 11:13 BST (UK) »
From the pilot site, there is a birth for a Jean Gamble in 1845 in Dronmore, Down, parents Hugh and Jane, as a possible sibing (and mother's name) to Helen.

Her death cert and confirmation of her parents from that should hopefully let you work back with more confirmed details.

Monica

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 April 11 11:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks again!! That's given me more clues...also trying to find my grandfather's family. They are Burnetts from Middlebie, Annan etc. I could find a bit more about them, but because of the Irish connection it's cold. Also no-one left to ask!!
Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 April 11 11:23 BST (UK) »
See you have now posted on the Dumfries-shire board here on RC regarding your grandfather - good place to start  :)

Monica

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 April 11 17:39 BST (UK) »
I thought so too. I hope to hear from there too. thanks for your help
Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland

Offline garryb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hello soapy,
Im a Beresford from Airdrie who stumbled across this post by accident.

I have been researching my mothers side (non Beresford) of the family and after a few years Ive temp hit a wall with it.... anyway, last night I was given lots of old birth/marriage/death certificates for the Beresford side of the family. And an hour ago I started the base of my Beresford tree.

Only 12 peeps listed so far.... they include:

Hugh Gemmell Beresford (great grandfather)
John Beresford (grandfather)
John Beresford (father)

All the above are from Airdrie, so I may be able to help....... altho like I said, I am literally an hour into the Beresford trace  8)

Oh and also - just at a glance.... Samuel you mention i think is my fathers uncle (*think*) - I know Sammys wife was still alive and living in Coatbridge, she was quite elderly (I also know Sammys daughter lives close by her)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 00:16 BST (UK) »
John Berrisfield, son of John, married 12 Apr.1850 Banbridge registration district (volume 2 page 462) to Ellen Jane Gamble**, age 20, daughter of Hugh.

** note: Ellen was used in Ireland while the other form of the name Helen was more common in Scotland. Gamble and Gemmell are variations of the same surname.

See here for details included on Irish marriage certificates (not as much detail as Scottish certificates) and how to order them (I've included the reference details you'll need)-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,433042.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 22:49 BST (UK) »
Unbelievable!!!

Thanks both of you.

I come from Glenmavis originally, where Hugh etc were all brought up. My gran and mum also stayed there all their days.
My gran was Hugh Beresford's sister Eliz ( k/a Lizzie) who was married to John Burnett. he came from the Borders area originally.

The info from Ireland is fantastic.
I've certainly got a lot more leads to take up

Thanks again

Offline garryb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 April 11 12:42 BST (UK) »
nice one - my wife is from Glenmavis, small world.

I hit a wall with the other side of my family tree - got back to 1811 in Ireland, can't get any further.....  :(