Author Topic: Ellen Brannan 1891-1970 (Glasgow)  (Read 3779 times)

Offline ocian_c

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ellen Brannan 1891-1970 (Glasgow)
« on: Friday 02 May 14 10:45 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me with this lady.  I have found a marriage for her to Patrick Cassidy in 1911 in Glasgow.  However, he died in the first world war unsure of the details.  I have tried to search for a further marriage for Ellen, to no avail.  I am just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this.

Maybe when Patrick died or if there was a second marriage for Ellen.  Her parents were Peter and Bridget McIlwaine.

Any help would be appreciated.
Keenan (Co. Antrim Ireland - Scotland)
McCart (Co. Antrim Ireland - Scotland)
McMullan (Ballymoney Co. Antrim)
Westwood (Kingswinford)
Bray (Colwell, Herefordshire)
Stanley (London)
Moss-Smith (Altrincham and surrounds)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Brannan 1891-1970 (Glasgow)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 May 14 11:12 BST (UK) »
There is this Patrick Cassidy death in WW1, associated with Glasgow:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/696964/CASSIDY,%20PATRICK

but wife is Helen Reid Cassidy.

Given Helen/Ellen were often inter-changeable in Scotland, could 'your' Ellen have had the middle name 'Reid'?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 May 14 11:15 BST (UK) »
Were Ellen's parents Peter Brannan and Bridget (nee McIlwaine) or Peter and Bridget McIlwaine? If the latter, where does Ellen's Brannan surname come from? Was that her name at death? Have you had sight of her death certificate? If she died in Scotland, it should list her husband/s.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline ocian_c

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 May 14 11:19 BST (UK) »
Were Ellen's parents Peter Brannan and Bridget (nee McIlwaine) or Peter and Bridget McIlwaine? If the latter, where does Ellen's Brannan surname come from? Was that her name at death? Have you had sight of her death certificate? If she died in Scotland, it should list her husband/s.

Sorry they are Peter Brannan and Bridget (nee McIlwaine)
Westwood (Kingswinford)
Stanley (London)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 May 14 11:23 BST (UK) »
These posts seem to mention the same Pat(rick) and Ellen(Nellie) Cassidy, if so, then as area is Townhead and Castle Street is mentioned, it seems more likely that the CWGC link I posted earlier is for your chap:

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/lofiversion/index.php/t5129-50.html

Offline ocian_c

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 May 14 11:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help.
Westwood (Kingswinford)
Stanley (London)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 May 14 13:46 BST (UK) »
As said, Ellen's death certificate should list her husband/s, so would confirm if she re-married. It does appear on the scotlandspeople indexes for 1970, but the full record is too 'recent' to be be viewed online (only deaths up to 1964 at present can be).

Would someone in the family possibly have a copy they could share with you? Or, could someone visiting the records office in Glasgow or Edinburgh check it for you?

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 May 14 17:33 BST (UK) »
       I looked up deaths in 1970 on Scotlands People for Ellen Brannan, just to see what exactly it said.    It gives the following...   She died 1970 Ellen Brannan   Other names: Stuart.   Cassidy.   Aged 79 Glasgow.

So I guess she must have married someone named Stuart before she married Brannan.      So I looked for the marriage of Ellen Cassidy to someone named Stuart, and there WAS a marriage in 1920 of a Peter Stuart to an Ellen Cassidy, right enough.     They were married at Garngadhill, Glasgow, and the certificate can be viewed on Scotlands People for 5 credits.

If I am on the right track, then the next step would be to find a marriage for Ellen Stuart to someone named Brannan.     But I have already tried searching for this with no luck.     Maybe I have missed it somehow.      Maybe it is still there somewhere.   

So this seems to be where the problem now lies ... in finding a marriage for Ellen Stuart to a Brannan.       

Brian

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 May 14 17:46 BST (UK) »
Ellen was Brannan to her maiden name, then married Patrick Cassidy, who was killed WW1.

Ellen Cassidy (nee Brannan) then, it seems from your finds, married Peter Stuart.

When Ellen Stuart, previously Cassidy (nee Brannan), then died in 1970, she would have been indexed under all three surnames:

Ellen Brannan other names Stuart. Cassidy.
Ellen Cassidy other surnames Brannan. Stuart.
Ellen Stuart other surnames Brannan. Cassidy.

So, no need to find a marriage of an Ellen Stuart to a Brannan.