Author Topic: Brae & Smallrigg  (Read 9601 times)

Offline emarbe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Brae & Smallrigg
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Kojak & Reiver

Thanks very much for the information, it seems they were both farms and the Smallrigg in Lochmaben also looks the right one as Walter Dinwoodie's wife, Margaret Halliday was born in Lochmaben and they were married there.

I am much obliged.

Mike
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 16:32 BST (UK) »
Good work Reiver,

Mike - If Smallrigg, Lochmaben is the right one this website should interest you http://www.smallrigg.co.uk/

Also, I shall endeavour to get some photos of the brae for you some time soon (the above website has pics of Smallrigg)

Jak

:-)
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline emarbe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Kojak

Many thanks for the link, it's nice to see where my ancestors lived all those years ago ( I am sure Smallrigg, Lochmaben is the right place based on where his wife was born and they were married) and I would certainly like one of Brae if possible as that would bring it into the 19th c.

Many thanks

Mike

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Two up to date maps for you of Brae Farm and Smallrigg.

Jak.
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 17:48 BST (UK) »
I meant to say the Brae Farmhouse is a Category B Listed building.

See Historic Scotland wbiste for listing info at
http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/wwd_listedbuildings_results.htm?Keywords=brae&Council=170&Parish=0&CallBack=TRUE&submit.x=45&submit.y=5

Jak.

Offline emarbe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Kojak

Thanks for the maps.
I never considered that one of the farmhouses might be listed, consequently never looked on that site, thanks for the link.

Incidentally are any of your Telfers (Telfords) from Gretna?.

Mike

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

It's always something worthwhile checking out.

I shall get my hands on the listed building info tomorrow hopefully for you.

Photos to follow in coming days.

I dont have any knowledge of any link with any Telfords, but if I do, I'll let you know.

Jak.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

I have 3 things I will scan and send to your email address is you don't have them already.

One is the headstone inscriptions from the cemetery at Johhstone. They are of David and Agnes' family. There are 3 plots.

The '41 census listing all at Brae

A newspaper article - 1872 - of Walter running over a child with his gig.

Found a Marianne Jamieson born 13 October - Lochmaben - William Jamieson and Jane Dinwoodie

No record of Walter, or Margaret Halliday in any of the inscription books. It could just mean that their headstone was unreadable. I did find info on him renting 2 farms in 1813. He had Kerse of Kinnel and Brae which were part of an estate at Annandale.

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 20:26 BST (UK) »
Great research work Jamjar.

Some day Im sure to run into you in the Ewart...

Jak:-)