Author Topic: MCDOUGALL - blacksmiths  (Read 2895 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
MCDOUGALL - blacksmiths
« on: Monday 08 August 05 23:25 BST (UK) »
My g-g-g-grandfather was Thomas Macdougall born c 1787 in Ruthwell. He was a blacksmith, married to Mary Baxter Underwood.

My line stops with him, as I can't find any info about his family. I have found a couple of other Macdougalls in Dumfriesshire who were blacksmiths, but have no way of knowing whether they were related.

Can anyone help please? I'd be very grateful. Thanks

Offline McDougall

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MCDOUGALL - blacksmiths
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Re your query Thomas McDougall, he was also my GGG-Grandfather born1788. I have information going back a further two generations. Should you not have any more information since August last year, please let me know and I will be pleased to send you a copy of my family tree.

I am decended from his son John and John's daughter Christina.

I was born in Scotland but now living in Nottingham.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thomas McDougall Wood.           

Offline Lisa Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
  • McDougall Family (of Roxborough)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 July 07 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, I just wanted to make contact about your McDougall connections. I just posted information about my family line but wondered if you had any link with the Eckford/Caverton Mill family?
thanks
Lisa M. McDougall Wilson
Wellington
New Zealand
www.rishworth.com
McDougall, Blair, Yair, Walker, Lilliet, Lamb, Archbald, (all from Cavers, Caverton Mill, Cessford, Makerstoun, Eckford and Ednam - Roxborough)Rishworth (England)

Offline angib

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 August 14 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, a long shot I know but are you related to  a Robert Mcdougall who emigrated from Kirkcudbright Scotland around 1911/12? died NZ 1959. Owned a sheep farm.
Thanks Angi

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 17:19 BST (UK) »
thank you all for your replies. It's such a long time since I did any Scottish research it's taken me some time to sort out the massive family tree. (When I started the research many years ago I did concentrate on my mum's Scottish line, and I am afraid I may have made some mistakes - you learn from experience that family trees posted on the internet are often inaccurate. However, I have found Thomas's branch on my tree. I seem to have quite a few names on this branch which makes me think either I've been in contact with you before, or maybe another member of your family?

I'm descended from Thomas's son Thomas who married Susan Dickie (my g-g-grandparents). Susan was the illegitimate daughter of Annie Ross Grierson. My great-grandfather was David Grierson Macdougal (This is how all mum's family spelled the surname) b 1855,, My grandfather, John Macdougal was born Kilmarnock 1883 and died in Liverpool 1957.

I'd love to see your family tree and would be happy to add anything extra that I could - although I was brought up by my grandparents they never spoke about their family history so much of it is a great mystery to me.

Angi and Lisa - I can't at the moment make a connection with your Macdougalls, although here could well be some. I do believe some of granddad's ancestors went to NZ. Maybe Thomas Macdougall Wood would be able to add more - I'll let you know if I find the NZ connection - and good luck!

Lesley