Author Topic: St. Margarets Unmarried Mothers Hostel - 262 Victoria Park Road Hackney  (Read 49165 times)

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
Re: St. Margarets Unmarried Mothers Hostel - 262 Victoria Park Road Hackney
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 February 10 21:30 GMT (UK) »
This may help - try Genes Reunited.  I know of at least 2 people who looked on there for adopted family under their birth name and found them.  In both cases the adopted child was also looking for their birth family.  Worth a try and you have nothing to loose.  I also posted something on a forum regarding information about one of my friends great grandfathers as I was helping her start a family tree.  My friend never knew her father, only by name.  Another family member replied to say he was related to the person and now my friend has been united with a family that she never knew.  So, you can always post something relating to one of you ancestors and see if anyone replies.  You never know.
Good luck!
Lisa
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline Atlanta1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 February 10 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Lisa .. how (bit stupid on the computer) do I start a post on Genes Reuntied?  Do I have to pay the registration first?  Money is tight at the moment!
Researching: Crouch (east sussex)
Humphrrey (sussex and sandhurst)
Osborn (Bromley, Kent)
Hawkes (Beckenham, Kent)
Bellingham (East sussex and Gun Plain Mitchigan)

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 February 10 19:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure about that now.  Its changed a lot since I last went on, but I'm sure there are plenty of other people on here who maybe able to help you.  I stopped my subscription when I started using Ancestry, but I think you can still do some stuff for free.  Sorry I can't be of much more help on that.
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline auntynet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 February 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Atlanta,

Hope this may be of help as I was searching an adoption last year.

Go to www.baaf.org.uk (British adoption and fostering) site.  On home page on the right under red banner click on Adoption Search Reunion, this will take you to another link, on left hand side click on search for location of adoption records. On key words for search enter hackney, scroll down results and to the bottom you will see St Margaret's Nursing home, the address as you gave.  There doesn't seem to be much info on records but does give organisation names that may help.  Click on St Margaret's and it will show you who may be involved with adoptions, click on each individual organisation name and that will give you contact details.
I myself had 4 organisations to contact, all of whom were very helpful and I actually found out the adopted persons file is at London Metropolitan Archives archived under Middlesex County Council.  We have registered on the contact register and this year we are going for a search and contact.  We do have o use a intermediary service.
Good luck with your search
London
Mack, Rackley
Scotland Fife
Johnston, Niven, Thomson, Laing, Burt, Mitchell, Ritchie, Hynd

Offline Atlanta1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 February 10 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help - will give it a go
Researching: Crouch (east sussex)
Humphrrey (sussex and sandhurst)
Osborn (Bromley, Kent)
Hawkes (Beckenham, Kent)
Bellingham (East sussex and Gun Plain Mitchigan)

Offline kayhelen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 March 10 16:05 GMT (UK) »
We can give you info on St Margaret's but not help with finding living people.

Please see our guidelines here

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

If you brother was legally adopted, his name was most probably changed. There is an adopted childrens index if you know what his new name is, but it is almost impossible to get a copy of the adoption certificate which shows who his adopted parents were.

Dawn

Offline kayhelen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 March 10 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dawn, just seen your message to Atlanta.  I was born in St Margaret's in 1963 and am trying to find out more about it.  I already have some information from the papers in my adoption file but am interested in knowing more about how the home was run - what the routines were for the young women who came there, any pictures etc.  Your message suggested you might be able to help?

Kay

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 March 10 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

I can't help personally with your quest, but as you will  hopefully find out, the chatters here are an extremely knowledgeable group of people who have a vast amount of information stored collectively. It never ceases to amaze just what they know.

Have a look at reply #12 and also think about contacting the London Metropolitan Archives to see what files they have, if any.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Records_and_archives/Visitor_information/lma_enquiry_team.htm

They have an information leaflet here

http://217.154.230.218/NR/rdonlyres/FA09DD39-F5B1-41D9-8ED2-CFD1CB839254/0/InfoIncareAdoptionEnquirer.pdf

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline kayhelen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 March 10 16:42 GMT (UK) »
thanks Dawn. 

Well if there is anyone out there who knows anything about St Margaret's please get in touch!