Author Topic: Poor Brothers on the Foundation of Charter House  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Poor Brothers on the Foundation of Charter House
« on: Monday 03 March 14 17:35 GMT (UK) »
George Aked born in Brigg died on 24 February 1858 and it was noted in the Telegraph that he was one of the Poor Brothers on the Foundation of Charter House.

From research that I have done it would appear that they admitted ex military men.  Can any one possibly tell me where I could find his admission details. 

I have looked on the National Archive site and cannot find a reference to him regarding his military service, although I do know that he was part of the Brigg Independent Volunteer Armed Association or Nelthorpe Militia.

We have just inherited a dress sword which was dated to the 18th century which we suspect could have belonged to him and I would love to get more information on him.

Many thanks
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Brothers on the Foundation of Charter House
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 March 14 18:35 GMT (UK) »
The admission records for the Charterhouse pensioners are at London Metropolitan Archives, callmark ACC/1876/PS. Many different categories of 'gentry' were admitted, not solely military men  :)

www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/lma

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 05:51 GMT (UK) »
thank you very much.  I shall look at the London Metropolitian archives and see if I can find him.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 09:30 GMT (UK) »
The records cannot be seen online. You will need to contact LMA for research, or have a researcher visit on your behalf.

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 15:41 GMT (UK) »
The records cannot be seen online. You will need to contact LMA for research, or have a researcher visit on your behalf.

Thanks.  After spending a couple of hours trying to navigate through the site I finally gave up and have sent a query through to them.  Unfortunately, with the South African exchange rate being as it is, paying a researcher is out of the question :(
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 16:22 GMT (UK) »
After spending a couple of hours trying to navigate through the site I finally gave up and have sent a query through to them.

The LMA online catalogue can be tricky to navigate. To see a list of the items that may be relevant, please go to this page ...

http://search.lma.gov.uk/scripts/mwimain.dll/144/LMA?LOGONFORM

In the Reference Code field, enter the callmark given above - ACC/1876/PS
Click Search.
Click the red heading Pensioners' and Scholars' Records
At the foot of the page, click the red button Level Down

This shows you 5 files that are available for searching in person at the archives (not online).

Unfortunately, with the South African exchange rate being as it is, paying a researcher is out of the question :(
In case it helps, an independent researcher will probably charge about half LMA's research fee.

Or you could try posting on the Lookups board, in case anyone is going and has time to spare ...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=239.0

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for all that.  I did manage to navigate to that area, but cannot work out whether they would have his admission on record in those files as there seemed to be a number of files covering different periods.  The closest I thought I got was one ACC/1876/PS/01/013.

Hopefully they will give me an indication as to which file would contain his records.  Once I have that information I will see if a posting on rootschat would find someone who is going there.  It appears that there are a lot of files and I would like to be a bit more accurate to help the search. 

Really appreciate your help.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 March 14 12:17 BST (UK) »
Just for interest.  I have heard from the Charterhouse Archives and queried the reason for all the men appearing as unmarried on the census.

"The requirement was, and is, that a Brother should be single while in residence, that is, a bachelor or a widower. So a man who entered and then married would be required to leave.

Being described as unmarried in the census should not be interpreted as having been a lifelong bachelor."

Their response was as follows:

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 April 14 16:16 BST (UK) »
Thought you might be interested in this posting on today's Spitalfields Life ...

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2014/04/11/hillary-hayden-brother-at-charterhouse/