Author Topic: Crowe family  (Read 54926 times)

Offline Potatoes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crowe family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 January 06 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Upon overnight reflection I think that the Crowe men who emigrated to Warrington, Cheshire England and Australia and who possibly served in the RN, may have been uncles of Annie Crowe not her brothers. If memory serves me right the uncle who went to Warrington was another Austin Crowe married to a woman called Clare! It was their son who became the mayor of Warrington.

Are there more than two Joseph Crowe? The way I've told it there is grandfather, son and grandson all called Joseph. I do know for sure that Annie had a brother called Joe Crowe and that both her father (our great grandfather) and her brother(s)(your grandfather/ my great uncle) served in WWI.

With regard to Kate Begley, wife of Joseph Crowe and Catherine Begley, mother  of William Whelan, these must be two separate women. Catherine Begley of Pollerton Beg must have been born c.1830s or 1840s in order to give birth to my grandfather William Whelan in the 1860s.

Also have you any knowledge of some Crowe women who remained unmarried, working as nurses or matrons?

As my father is now dead and I have no contact with his Whelan relatives I am working from memory. All of Annie's sons eventually moved to England via different life journeys.
Begley, Crowe, Whelan - Carlow, Ireland
Hackford - Herefordshire, England
Riches, Chilver(s) Suffolk, England
Passey - Worcestershire, England
Walker - Birmingham/Worcestershire

Offline Madbiker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 January 06 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi There, I really enjoyed reading the content. I am not sure how we are related as I got lost some where with the Joe's - My Father had 3 brothers who were all in the Irish Army one was called Joe(The eldest). They all had a Father who was also called Joe (who worked on the estate) he also fought in WW1 and I managed to get his discharge papers   
I am Austin M Crowe son of Austin (Augustine) Crowe Snr.
I also came across a Book that my Father had called Warrington Ancient and Modern by you guessed it Austin M Crowe - it is also signed by the author. Yes you are correct my father has done a lot of research which is hand written in these thick ledger type books. I know one of my sisters was trying to type them up but has not got very far. I will get them off her and have a read to see what details are in his documents. What is your name? regards
Austin

Offline Potatoes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 January 06 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Austin, Thankyou for replying. My name is Karen Springer(neeWhelan). My father was William Joseph Whelan the second son of William and Annie(Anne) Whelan. They lived at no.5 Brownshill Road Carlow.

Annie was a Crowe and I believe an aunt or great aunt of Austin snr.

My father paid his last visit to Eire in Spring 1995. He was looking up old faces and places. Whilst there he spoke to a parish priest(Tinryland?) about the Whelan's and the Crowe's. The priest informed Dad that he had a cousin living still in Carlow - Mrs Clare Moore - and so an introduction was effected between them. During the visit your father arrived at Clare's house to meet my father. They all considered themselves to be 1st cousins. Austin's father being the brother of William's mother. if we are related then we are Second Cousins - we share a great-grandfather - the one that went to WWI ( Am I right in thinking that Clare and Austin are brother and sister?)

Annie was born c1893 and died c1944/45 does this fit in with dates for your grandfather dates - brothers and sisters often being born close to one another. I seem to remember that Clare's dad died in his fifties and a suggestion that the Crowe's of that generation had weak hearts. I think I may have seen a photo of Clare's father pushing Clare's children in a wheelbarrow. Also Austin gave my Dad a local history magazine called the Carlovian which I have still. The magazine contains pictures and references to Austin and his brothers as prominent military men.

I also have a book on Carlow Gentry which either Austin or Clare sent to him.

My Dad told me that he could not remember Austin or Clare as children that well. He thought that they may have been in a different parish and school as children. As my Dad and his brothers weren't that academic they would have gone to a different secondary school from Austin. Dad told me that Austin's mother was a very strong character who had challenged a parish priest over his refusal to allow Austin (and the other children?) into a particular school. She took the matter up with a government minister who gave her, her way - does that story ring any bells?

Begley, Crowe, Whelan - Carlow, Ireland
Hackford - Herefordshire, England
Riches, Chilver(s) Suffolk, England
Passey - Worcestershire, England
Walker - Birmingham/Worcestershire

Offline Madbiker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 January 06 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen,
There are bells ringing all right - But I think Annie had to be a sister of Joe Crowe Snr. ie My fathers Great Aunt. Yes Claire and Austin Snr were brother and sister. I have asked my sister Barbara for the papers to see what is in them and see where everybody is in the family tree. I will keep you posted on how I get on. Have you been over to see where your dad was brought up. by the way Claire is still alive - mind you she is in a nursing home - the rest of her family are still in Tinryland and around the carlow area. I do not recall meeting my dad's father i am not sure when he passed away. My own father died on the 11th nov 1996 so the dates seem to fit.
Do I take it you are living in Warrington - OH by the way i have photos of my grandfather your fathers mothers brother - It is a photo of him when he was in the South Irish Horse - I can send them to you if you like- let me know your email
Regards
Austin

Offline rezzyrezz

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 January 06 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I just read your post. I'm a liittle confused. My maternal grandfather was Joseph Crowe, who worked for Maj. Clayton-Browne, but I don't remember any metion of Annie being a daughter of Joe. I have pics of all the family i the 20's in Graigecullen.I remember my mother Mary (Lena) mentioning an aunt Annie, so was she maybe Joe's sister?  Regards, Justin
Coughlan (from Limerick), Crowe (from Carlow).

Offline Jhew83

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re:Madbiker: Crowe family
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Madbiker:
I have a republished copy of the book you are referring to on Warrington. The author Austin Matthew Crowe (mayor of Warrington 1933-35) is my great grandfather. It was reproduced with permission of his daughter Margaret who is my grandmother. I live in St Helens, Merseyside.

Offline noxas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 March 09 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i think I am part of the Crowe family. My grandfather`s name is Matthew Mark Crowe.I know he had a brother whose name I believe was Joseph or James .Sadly he died when I was quite young,so I never got around to ask anything about his father or mother,but I believe his father died while he was still very young , around the age of seven.Many of the names and place you all mention are very familiar to me.I hope some one can help fill in some of the gaps.One of the problems I have sadly is that all of the older generation on our side of the family have now passed on,so I have no one left to ask questions.
Crowe,Carlow,Ireland
Scully,Carlow,Ireland
Deegan,Carlow,Ireland
DonohueCarlow,Ireland

Offline rezzyrezz

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 March 09 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello. as you can see from the posts the Crowe family is a bit confusing. if you have any dates of birth or town names, that may be helpful. Did you parents / grandparents emigrate? If when, and to where? Sorry i cant be of much help, I've been quite out of the loop for a while.
Coughlan (from Limerick), Crowe (from Carlow).

Offline noxas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi I do not have an exact date, but Iwas told by my grandfather that he was19 at the turn of the year 1900,making his year of birth 1881.Going back to your point about a confusing family line,even the yearof birth may be a year out as I have his memorium card and it gave his age at his death as 85 ,he diedin 1967 this would make his year of birth 1882.However I hoping that my brother may be able to help me pin it down more accuratley ill keep you posted.
Crowe,Carlow,Ireland
Scully,Carlow,Ireland
Deegan,Carlow,Ireland
DonohueCarlow,Ireland