Author Topic: John Hayes  (Read 5679 times)

Offline glensmum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Hayes
« on: Wednesday 24 July 13 05:56 BST (UK) »
Hello listers
I am looking for information regarding the family of John Hayes. There is a memorial stone at the Ballyknockan Church in County Carlow. He died on the 18th April 1858. Is it possible to have someone do a look up to see what family he had? I believe he had two sons Timothy who married Anastasia Butler and Patrick who married Harriet Clarkson. Both sons came to Australia. His wife was Ann O'Connor.
I also think he was in the business of "oil'' at some stage.
He was probably Catholic. Would there be marriage records or census records?
Kind Regards Glensmum

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Hayes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 08:55 BST (UK) »
Presume this is the headstone
"
Erected by P. Hayes, J.P., The Oaks, St. Leonard's, Sydney, in memory
of his Father John Hayes, who died 18 April 1858, 63 years.  R.I.P.
                  [An upright stone."

Assuming they were RC. then Leighlinbridge parish office would be your best bet for marriage and baptismal details.
Contact details should be easy enough to find.
http://www.leighlinparish.ie/
(think I posted them on a thread in Carlow forum last week).

As regards census records ;no nothing for Ireland until 1901. You could try Griffiths Valuation but that will just give the householder/landowner and address but no details re. other people in the house.
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline glensmum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 14:14 BST (UK) »
Yes that is the one. I am not familiar with how to do any research in Ireland so am relying on help on this site. Will try your lead.
Thanks

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 17:42 BST (UK) »
Not an expert by any means so take the following with a word of caution !!.

His death and therefore obviously his marriage and birth of his sons etc was before civil registration in Ireland(1864 I think).Earliest complete census of Ireland available is 1901.
So for any Irish records you will be relying on church records.

Online Carlow records are scarce at best eg RootsIreland (pay site) has nothing for Carlow.
You say they were RC but there are some COI baptism marriage and death records for Carlow free at;
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

Where I found the headstone record;

was;http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlcar2/Site_index.htm

Reckon your best bet is to contact the Leighlin Parish Office and see if they have anything on that particular family.Found them very helpful before.

PS have relatives buried in Ballyknockan .It was (is) now a mixed graveyard ie both catholic and protestant I think.

Good luck and if you need any local knowledge dont hesitate to ask.

McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)