Author Topic: Murphy's Dundalk County Louth, can anyone help please ?  (Read 4325 times)

Offline kath1958

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murphy's Dundalk County Louth, can anyone help please ?
« on: Sunday 12 May 13 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

this is my 1st post, so please bare with me.... I know that Murphy is a name that is hard to track down and I have got quite a bit of information myself.

I am looking for the marriage of Catharine Doogan to Partick Murphy, I have no information about these my gg grandparents, I do have their childrens birthdates Bridget 3/5/1868 and Bernard Murphy 22/12/1869 (Bernard is my g grandfather).

Bernard went on to marry Bridget Clifford in 1893 and I think they lived in Lisdoo, they had Patrick James born 1893 and Bernard born 1895, then twin boys, John & Michael 1897, they then went on to live in Cumberland in the UK, their twins died when they were toddlers and their son Patrick James was killed in WW1 in Mesopotamia in April 1916 (Served with the Connaught Rangers).

They had more children in England including my Grandma, hence me wanting to know about her family tree and where they came from ?

I would love to know more about Patrick and Catharine so any help at all would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy's Dundalk County Louth, can anyone help please ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 May 13 09:11 BST (UK) »
for reference here are the details from the extracted civil birth collection on FamilySearch for the two children born in Ireland :

Name:  Bridget Murphy
  Birth Date: 03 May 1868
  Birthplace: 861, Dundalk, Louth, Ireland
  Parents : Patrick Murphy & Catharine Doogan
  References : v7-2 p 861

Name: Bernard Murphy
  Birth Date: 22 Dec 1869
  Birthplace: 762, Dundalk, Louth
  Parents : Patrick Murphy & Catharine Doogan
  References: v 17-2 p 762

Research certs (if you dont already have these ) would provide a few additional details, such as a detailed place of birth, father's occupation etc.  The extracted records often give the name of a district or sub-district, so the birth could have been near to Dundalk rather than in the town itself..

see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
         Details included on a Birth Cert

I dont see a good match for a civil marriage record for Catherine and Patrick at the moment, but it may have been before the start of full civil records in 1864, in which case a search for a church marriage would be required.

see : Introduction to Irish Records
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kath1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 May 13 09:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane,

I searched all over to try and find Patrick and Catharine's marriage, but you have given me some
useful links to help me :)

Also I did have the details for Bridget and Bernard which I found yesterday on family search but I will now get the certificates.

I would love to know more about my family and how they used to live, I have been so suprised at how few people are actually searching Murphy's (plenty in the USA) very few for the UK or even Ireland.   Murphy's are numerpus and some had large family's so I am sure many will actually tie up, I am also sure I remember my Grandma telling me that she had relatives that went to the USA, Australia & Canada but as I have only found 2 children of Patrick & Catharine it would suggest that the said relatives that went to the USA were there brothers and sisters families.

thanks again for your help.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 May 13 21:36 BST (UK) »
A more detailed location from birth certs might help, particularly if they lived outside the town and the name of a townland is shown as place of birth.

Since Murphy is such a common surname (most common surname in Ireland at the time) I don't think there's much to be gained at this stage by guessing a location for them, but haven't come across the surname Doogan that often before. A far less common name - so might be worth checking for other Doogan families in and around Dundalk in civil records, Griffith's etc, also allowing for variations in spelling - maybe Duggan, Deegan, Duignan ?

No Doogans that I see in Dundalk Poor Law Union on Griffith's (1854 for this area), but there are a few Duggans...
(Poor Law Unions usually correspond to the later Civil Registration Districts )

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kath1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 May 13 22:11 BST (UK) »
I will check that out tomorrow,

I found this as well, but I have searched and could not find any evidence to confirm this, it was posted on ancestry.co.uk in 2007 by someone who thought it was her family although she did find out that it was not her's although I do think it is mine...

'Bernard's parents were Patrick Murphy (no dates)who married Catherine Duggan/Dugan of Kilcroney near Dundalk in 1858'

I have searched for this marriage but as you suggest I will try different variations and see if I can find anything.

Thanks again Shane for your time.