Author Topic: Johnston  (Read 11061 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Johnston
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 00:46 BST (UK) »
Where's it gone - I've just searched again and got no match.   ???

I get a match if I don't put a county in which is presumably the one you found but I am absolutely certain I chose Berwick when I searched earlier.

I presume his birth cert shows he was b 1926. What was his mothers maiden name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline hoprigg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 07:41 BST (UK) »
Just done another search and not found anything!  How frustrating is this, SP can be really bad for this
East Lothian, Duns, Berwickshire, Batty, Sutton, Mortimer, Clazy, Fargie, Fergie, Trotter, Steel/Steele, Renton, Ford

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 07:56 BST (UK) »
As you have found, the only Geo Johnston* dying in Scotland in 1987, aged 61, died on the Isle of Bute . Could he have died elsewhere or  his death been  elsewhere?   Other ages  within 2 years of that given are 59, Rosskeen and 59, Aberdeen. There is one  aged 41, Park Circus, Glasgow (in case the headstone is wrong).

The nearest deth reg that I can find in England is Jan 1987 in Portsmouth, with a birth date of 17 Nov 1927 (George Douglas Johnstone )

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 08:01 BST (UK) »
Also one in 1986 in Ladykirk, Swinton and Whitsome, aged 71. That's not all that far from Chirnside and he might have died end of Dec 1986 and buried Jan 1987. Age 10 years out though - but I've had wrong ages on some of the headstones that I've looked at :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline hoprigg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 08:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks gadget, def not the 86 one, I have that one.  It's really quite frustrating, I have a cousin going to the Archives in Edinburgh today and she will search the Isle of Bute one for me.  Appreciate your help on here from both of you :-))
East Lothian, Duns, Berwickshire, Batty, Sutton, Mortimer, Clazy, Fargie, Fergie, Trotter, Steel/Steele, Renton, Ford

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

As CaroleW mentions any death in Scotland(after 1973) should have the mother's maiden name on
the Index.
It will have to match exactly with what is on the index spelling wise.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

As CaroleW mentions any death in Scotland(after 1973) should have the mother's maiden name on
the Index.

It will have to match exactly with what is on the index spelling wise.

ev

None of the ones that are listed do unless her surname is entered - see below

Offline hoprigg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 08:30 BST (UK) »
I have done a search with the mothers maiden name and without and tried various other search parameters and still only come up with the two in The Isle of Bute which is in fact the same one going by the REF: No:  Mothers maiden name is Johnston, he was illegitimate...  So Annoying!! Grrr!!!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 08:31 BST (UK) »
Could his name have been Robert George?

There is a death  reg for a Robert Gerge Johnston, Duns, 1987. Aged 61.