Author Topic: BARBARA ROSS born c 1760 AT KILMUIR EASTER (?)  (Read 5171 times)

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BARBARA ROSS born c 1760 AT KILMUIR EASTER (?)
« on: Friday 29 June 07 12:11 BST (UK) »
I am trying to track down a BARBARA ROSS. She married  HECTOR MUNRO and they had a son SAMUEL MUNRO born28/11/1778 at kilmuir Easter Ross & Cromarty.Info from Scotland's people. I can find no record of her birth or place of birth.I am guessing at her DoB from Samuel's age.

I have been unable to trace a marriage certificate for Hector & Barbara. --or of his birth either .

I am also unable to "translate" Hector's occupation on the birth record of his son but it looked like  mason in Tullich. --does anyone know if the latter is a place name? His son & a grandson were masons.
Any suggestions will be very welcome--thank you
Eileen
Munro, Ross, Gardner, Ballantyne, Higgins, Darroch --Scotland.
Moss, Stenson,Varnham, Smith, Turner. Harris. Yeats/Yates, Birkett, Askew, Walmsley. Allman.Laugharne --England
Mitchell. Higgins, Darragh-- Ireland

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BARBARA ROSS born c 1765 AT KILMUIR EASTER (?)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 June 07 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen

Regarding your query about "Tullich"  - in "The placenames of Ross and Cromarty" by WJ Watson, he lists four different Tullichs in Ross and Cromarty. These are in the parishes of Knockbain, Fearn, Lochcarron and also Kilmuir Easter (which would seem to fit best with the info you've already got).

On the modern Ordnance Survey map of the Kilmuir Easter area, there is a place (a tiny village by the looks of it) called Tullich Muir about 3 miles north-east of Invergordon. However, on an older Victorian map of the area, there are two settlements in this same area - one called Muir and the other called Tullich.

Hope this helps
Lynn
Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BARBARA ROSS born c 1760 AT KILMUIR EASTER (?)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 June 07 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn,
Thank you for your message--my eyes must be better than I think!! :)
I appreciate you telling me this--and will see what I can find on  google about it--also if there is an old map there.

I got --last week-- the testament of his son Samuel also a mason and it includes some of the places where he worked and money owing at his death--must see if Tullich is mentioned on there--It's long and a bit faint so I  haven't really looked closely as yet

It certainly does help--thank you.I feel quite excited--another discovery!
Eileen
Moss, Stenson,Varnham, Smith, Turner. Harris. Yeats/Yates, Birkett, Askew, Walmsley. Allman.Laugharne --England

Offline Nibea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 14:00 BST (UK) »
Dear Eileen, 
I have a Barbara Ross b. 1763 Kilmuir Easter, Ross and Cromarty.  She married John Munro b. 1759 Kilmuir Easter.  I descend from their son, Barnet Munro b. 1781 Kilmuir Easter.  John Munro was a mason and slater and Barnet was a slater.  Barnet married Isobel Ross and they had a number of children.  According to old parish records, several of their children were born in Tullich, Kilmuir Easter.

I know this is a different family, but there must have been a relationship.  The occupations are similar and Tullich is also mentioned.  It seems that Barnet worked both in Tullich and in Milntown.

Hope you find this interesting,
Best wishes,
Judith.
Mayell, Munro, Davis, Lees, Brummell, Fox, Armstrong, Lee, Wilson, Pearce, Storey, Ross.

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 17:34 BST (UK) »
Dear Judith--thank you for this---a lovely surprise to get the email telling me to check the board As you say there is very likely to be  a connection somewhere--especially as your men & mine were in similar occupations-in one case exactly the same and in the same area.

Somebody is going to have a look at records for me & at graves in the Dingwall area so if anything crops up that links us at all--I will get in touch.
I plan to look at my direct Munro line siblings soon so who knows?
"Watch this space"!!--regards--Eileen

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 17:35 BST (UK) »
PS--I certainly do find it interesting--very!---E

Offline Nibea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 00:45 BST (UK) »
Dear Eileen,
Thank you for your reply to my email.  I would be very interested to hear about any information you unearth.  Good luck with your hunting!
Best wishes,
Judith.
Mayell, Munro, Davis, Lees, Brummell, Fox, Armstrong, Lee, Wilson, Pearce, Storey, Ross.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 02:09 BST (UK) »
so you are thinking she became with child at 12... ;)

Her birthing years spans over 2 decades, maybe 3 because there is an extracted file on the IGI for a Maryanne, christened May 4 1801 Kilmuir-Easter, R&C.
As you probably know there are several submissions on the IGI as well,
with Barbara Ross as mother..so if this is the same mother, she likely was very young at marriage  ;D
starting with your Samuel in 1778 and ending with a birth in 1807...
Both of those person's dates match for Maryanne's christening and the date for Samuel's christening matched the date you have for his birth...so
this person may have researched the marriage information as well.
I think you have to order the form as I don't think they put submitter's
names & addresses on the site which is a good idea...but doesn't hurt to
find out what their source is, if you can... J.J.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 18:07 BST (UK) »
oops! must have made a mistake on this one then! However--she was definitely my Samuel's mother --think maybe I meant to put 1760

I haven't checked the IGI for a while --when I did there was only one child born to Hector Munro & Barbara Ross-and I could  only find one on Scotland's people--unless they too have recently updated their records

Thank you for this IGI info JJ--will head there this evening.
Eileen