Author Topic: John Templeton  (Read 10615 times)

Offline Torwoodlee

• I have turned off notifications to all my topics
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Templeton
« on: Saturday 12 November 11 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am trying, without success, to find the marriage certificate of my great great Uncle John Templeton.  He was born 17 April 1889 to John Templeton and Jane Ann Davidson.  He was illegitimate, however my great great grandparents put things right a few months later  ;)
I've found the marriage certificates of his siblings but I can't seem to for him.  All that I know is that his wife's name MAY have been Nell.  They were from Galashiels, Selkirkshire.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

BordersLass
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Templeton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 November 11 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked for him on the 1911 census to see if he was married at that time?

If he was - it will give his wife's name and also the number of years married

If he was still single - then you know to only search from 1911 onwards
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 November 11 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Did he die in Scotland?  Am currently out of credits on SP, but there are 2 John Templeton deaths in Scotland for  a person of that name born 1888 to 1890.   If death in Scotland it would allow to find his wifes name assuming the witness knew it.

As with you and CaroleW, I can find no male John Young or Templeton marriages to a female Nel/l.

Regards,   Steve  :)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 November 11 10:29 GMT (UK) »
hi all  :)

just to add -
SP has a death of a john templeton 1971 galashiels selkirk born c1890
you will not be able to view this certificate online , it will need to be ordered or perhaps someone could do a look up  :-\

ev

Added - there is a death on SP for a helen(nell?) templeton 1965 galashiels selkirk born c1891
(other surname TAKET) - again this will not be online

marriage john templeton and helen taket - 1924 midlothian  :-\ - will be online
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 November 11 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help everyone.

I've just found it!  Helen was his wife's actual name.  My family had a habit of giving nicknames to relatives, probably where Nell came from.

Thank you again!

:)
Names:  Laidlaw, Alexander, Park, Templeton, Hood, Sanderson, Fairbairn, Davidson, Delgatty, Greig
Areas:  Galashiels Selkirkshire, Ladhope Roxburghshire, Jedburgh Roxburghshire, Morebattle Roxburghshire, Tillicoultry Clackmannanshire

Offline Alex Dean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 December 12 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello there.  I think we may be related.  My nan is * templeton.  Her dad was Alexander Templeton, mother Christina.  I may even have a really bad photo of John Templeton.  The chap was the son of Ms Grieg.  There was some gossip that he was the illigitimate son of the carpet making templetons and did receive some cash in a will which he apparently blew gambling in Ireland so there may be some credibility.  If you are interested I will attempt to scan in the photo.  Good luck with your search, if you have a specific question I can ask my nan for you, she may help.  :-)

Moderator Comment: Details of living person taken off main board as part of Rootschat's guidelines in order to protect living people's privacy and identity.

Offline Torwoodlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 December 12 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello there!
From what you have said, we are most definitely related.  It sounds like your nan was named after her grandmother who was my great great grandmother.  Alexander was the younger brother of my great grandfather Adam Templeton.  There were seven, John, Maggie, Adam, Alexander (Sandy), William (Wullie), Robert (Robbie) and Gilbert.  Gilbert unfortunately died when he was three.  I have a photo of the five brothers, including Alexander, when they were in their uniforms about to go off to fight in World War One.  Miraculously, all five of them returned!  As for John Templeton, my great great grandfather, he was illegitimate, apparently his father used to buy him new clothes and when he went back to his mother Catherine, she took them and sold them!  I will also send you a private message as I have more to tell you.  Thank you so much for making contact!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 December 12 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Borderslass, Alex has only made one post so the Private Message facility has not yet been activated.

Alex, welcome to Rootschat  :)

Another couple of posts here and you will be able to exchange personal message with BorderLass.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alex Dean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 December 12 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I would love to see anything you have, my nan would really appreciate it too.  I'm new to this chatroom lark but I think I'm supposed to post a few more times before they will let me send a private message.  Would you like an email address or would you prefer snail mail?  We have relatives in Gala, two of my nan's sisters and their families are still there.  I will get you some details and send as soon as I can do so privately or if you can send me your email I can contact you directly.  Happy New Year :-)