Author Topic: Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies (IHGS) Correspondence Course  (Read 23079 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies (IHGS) Correspondence Course
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 July 10 13:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Richard;No doubt Swebby and Jamaine will be adding their observations shortly.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have only just spotted this thread and thought I should add a comment.  I have just started looking at module 2 of this course and am waiting for my marks for module 1.
So far I have been impressed, the actual lecture material downloaded is not that many pages but there is a long suggested reading list, (as with most types of study you not need to read all of the books on the list) and these 2 modules have made me delve back into my research files, improve on my notes and reassess the levels of certainty.
Being asked to draw charts rather than using a chart drawing program may appear to be slightly old fashioned but I found it an interesting challenge.
I don't think you could do this course at the same time as other studying and it probably wouldn't really suit a complete beginner.

Offline TaraK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your comments. I'm still considering doing this, so it's still helpful.

Tara

Offline richardihgs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your helpful comments, miw; comments based on up-to-date experience are always valuable.
Regarding the requirement to draw pedigrees by hand, we regard the ability to set out a pedigree as being an important skill, especially when there is no tree-drawing program that produces professionally acceptable results.
We are quite happy to permit the use of Treedraw (which is gedcom compatible) which does allow the user freedom in setting out the information; some of our students also use spreadsheet programmes.

Richard Baker
Principal, IHGS

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
I just thought I should update my comments, now on lecture 3 and I now understand why trees have to be drawn up without special software.  The tree I am drawing at the moment would not have been possible within my database software.

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 October 11 12:06 BST (UK) »
I just thought that, since this seems to be an ongoing thread, I would throw in my two pennyworth. 

I started the IHGS course a couple of years ago when I was working full time and in good health.  I completed the first few lectures and found them interesting, relevant but demanding - the amount of work required would be, in my opinion, incompatible with a busy social life or undertaking other studies.  At the time, the lecture notes were rather dated but Richard has said that they have been re-written.  Personally, I didn't feel that the limited feedback that I received for my assignments was tremendously helpful but that's just my view. One just has to get on with it on one's own, read a lot reference material and try and find other individuals to chat with at a similar point in their studies. The study weekend in Canterbury was fun.

I actually found that doing things the hard way, like drawing your tree by hand was invaluable - I would equate it to learning to drive a car with manual gears rather than starting with an automatic! However, one of my reservations about the course was that there are modules which hold no interest for me personally, for example I don't have any ancestors or interest in Irish genealogy - I think I would have struggled to maintain my efforts there. The course is really designed as a high level qualification for the aspiring professional genealogist, which I had no pretensions about - being an academic, I wanted to learn the 'science' of genealogy thoroughly but I supposed I also wanted to pick and choose the subject areas, rather than do the whole lot.

Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with cancer a few months into the course and simply had to give it up. I wish that I had been able to continue as I am now (hopefully!) well again and, moreover, have retired. This course requires, determination, dedication, a great deal of time and passion. If you don't have these then it's probably not worth starting something that you might not finish!

Regards, Karen
RIDOUT from Sherborne, Bath and London .... please visit my RIDOUT website and blog :-)

Offline Fue

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Jane
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 October 11 18:55 BST (UK) »
As this thread has been going some time now, I thought I would ask, are there any other courses out there  that  can be recommended?
Williams (S. Wales/Worcester)
Eagles (Gloucester/Liverpool),

S. Wales/Devon/Somerset:
Havard, Hortop, Jenkins, Martin, Marshall, Lethbridge, Hearn/Hern

Northampton/Leicestershire
Ainge, Barker,Stevenson, Allan, Dickens

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 October 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Fue....

Sorry - I can't help because that was the only course I have ever tried. However, putting the boot on the other foot, should you come across one...  :)

Karen
RIDOUT from Sherborne, Bath and London .... please visit my RIDOUT website and blog :-)

Offline Fue

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Jane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 October 11 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

First of all, glad to hear you are well again :)

As for any other courses out there, sorry I do not know of any. I looked into it a few years ago but any interesting short courses seemed to be too far away from Northampton (which seems to be a black hole for so many things :( )  So... I throw the boot out there, does anybody know different??...... ::)
Williams (S. Wales/Worcester)
Eagles (Gloucester/Liverpool),

S. Wales/Devon/Somerset:
Havard, Hortop, Jenkins, Martin, Marshall, Lethbridge, Hearn/Hern

Northampton/Leicestershire
Ainge, Barker,Stevenson, Allan, Dickens

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk