Author Topic: hawkins/ hawkinge in kent  (Read 5009 times)

Offline WHITSTABLE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
hawkins/ hawkinge in kent
« on: Wednesday 22 June 11 19:27 BST (UK) »
hi, everyone, im not sure if this is the right place ive posted this , but  need help with this name, hawkins, my grt grandfathers name was hawkins according to my mum the name hawkins and the place hawkinge in kent nr folkstone are linked, my mums grt uncle was  gerald s hawkins the astroliger and before he died had done the family tree on the hawkins family he took my mum to hawkinge in kent and took a photo of  a tomb to which  a ancester who was a knight named sir john hawkins is burried . i am stumped  as i can not find any info for this my mum has mislaid the photo somwhere and we do not even know what has happend to the family tree which gerald hawkins did ,  not even sure if his wife and children are still around its ashame as it woued save me starting from scratch, it must of took  along time to do this tree, i have googled this name but there are so many people with the name hawkins its too much to take in ,  can anyone help :)
reserching ,surnames shingleston, hawkins, jordan, hudson ,pout, blackman wetherly, epps, baker, port, porter, rowden.goodwin, whitehead colley church.dorgan, in kent

cave, hansford in cornwall,lee  in shropshire

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: hawkins/ hawkinge in kent
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 19:51 BST (UK) »
Not sure if it helps, but I found this:

http://www.communigate.co.uk/dorset/philhawkins/

Sounds like the family your gt/grandfather was talking about.

Mike
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline nigelpaige

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: hawkins/ hawkinge in kent
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I seem to recall there is a connection between the Devon Hawkyns/ Hawkins family and kent ...you may find it in this link:
http://www.welbank.net/hawkins/pah/index.html   
My family followed the hawkyns family in 2 of their Devon manor houses but we are not related.