Author Topic: assumed arms  (Read 18137 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: assumed arms
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 September 12 12:05 BST (UK) »
I think you will find that the Royal College of Arms created the arms for the Middleton family. As the family had no heraldic history, they were constructed from scratch using elements from the family names etc.  However they could only be used by Kate and Pippa as they were specifically designed for an unmarried (using a ribbon as a crest) woman (being vaguely lozenge shaped).

Thus for Kate they became inapplicable once she was married.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 September 12 12:33 BST (UK) »

I do think though that the Tartan manufacturers saw a marketing opportunity when Americans with a Scottish background came over looking for their ancestors and produced many different tartans supposedly associated with many old Scottish names.

Lizzie

One person's marketing opportunity is another person's scam  ;D

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 September 12 12:34 BST (UK) »
.  I got in touch a while ago with the Clan involved for my Mum's tartan & I was encouraged to wear it with pride!

See above! ;)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 September 12 13:15 BST (UK) »
I think you will find that the Royal College of Arms created the arms for the Middleton family. As the family had no heraldic history, they were constructed from scratch using elements from the family names etc.  However they could only be used by Kate and Pippa as they were specifically designed for an unmarried (using a ribbon as a crest) woman (being vaguely lozenge shaped).

Thanks for clarifying that.  :)

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 11:09 BST (UK) »
One is reminded of the American lady in the Edinburgh tartan shop enquiring after a (plaid) tartan tie for her husband and adding that he was a direct descendant of Greyfriars Bobby!

Skoosh.

Ha Ha - they probably sold her one too because I think a Greyfriars Bobby tartan exists - there's certainly one for the pandas at Edinburgh zoo  ::)
Warmly & Sincerely

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 11:18 BST (UK) »
If you were entitled to arms, you would know that already as you would have inherited the right. You can apply for arms from the proper authority in which you live. Making them up is not really a good idea.

I am directly descended from many people who did have arms (I can trace my ancestry to a daughter of Robert Bruce, king of Scots), but I personally have no right whatsoever to any arms.

I'm not sure who would actually tell you that you have no right to bear arms - you might not have the right to bear Robert the Bruce's Arms (or the Earl of Elgin's) by inheritancee but I know you can create arms and you could pobably even take an element from the Bruce's arms (these are after all only symbols (& many of the same symbols are duplicated on thet arms of different individuals, families and clans)- it's the whole achievement that's copyright). A heraldry artist would help you - I know people who have  had symbols suggested to them by the Lord Lyon so they do give help in creation(although South Africa is less expensive).
If you really want to have a coat of arms, you should make a few more enquiries.
Warmly & Sincerely

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 11:36 BST (UK) »

They were registered with the College of Arms but I think she must have given quite a lot of input - three acorns for the three Middelton children, gold for her mother's maiden name (the father doesn't seem to be represented much although I only read it quickly).
But it only proves that arms can be created without being inherited  :)

Can't say I'm very keen on the "girly" bow but I'm not very keen on helmets for women either although they do exist (there's one in the Thistle Chapel in St Giles Cathedral ).In Canada, women couldn't have helmets until now , but the heraldry rule has just been changed .
Warmly & Sincerely

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 11:57 BST (UK) »

Actually I'm not sure Pippa can take her sister's coat of arms - I think unmarried daughters can bear their father's arms with a bow but Kate's arms are probably exclusive to her  :-\
Warmly & Sincerely

Offline Peggysus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Warmly & Sincerely
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 11:59 BST (UK) »
One is reminded of the American lady in the Edinburgh tartan shop enquiring after a (plaid) tartan tie for her husband and adding that he was a direct descendant of Greyfriars Bobby!

Skoosh.

Although I thought a Greyfrairs Bobby tartan had probably existed for ages I see it's only just been created (in August) to help the homeless which is rather nice so I won't be mocking Bobby's tartan  :-[
Warmly & Sincerely