Author Topic: James Florence/ Isabella Moir/ Margaret Wright  (Read 16278 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Florence/ Isabella Moir/ Margaret Wright
« on: Friday 06 June 14 21:35 BST (UK) »
I am researching my Florence ancestors in Aberdeenshire. I am now researching James Florence, born 1781, Auchterless to James Florence/ Ann Cruikshank. James apparently married twice, according to a credible Florence researcher: first to Isabella Moir, about 1799. They had the following children in Auchterless: James 1800 (Mary Falconer); John 1801 (Marjory Bannerman). James next married Margaret Wright, 1809, Auchterless. They had the following children in Auchterless:  Mary 1809; Leslie 1810; Isabel 1813-1902 (William Morrison 1840); Alexander 1814-1884 (Isabella Dougall 1852/ Amelia MacArthur 1874); John 1816-1880 (Isobel Cran 1841). John Florence/ Isobel Cran are my ancestors. I’ve looked at Scotlands People records, but  have not been able to confirm his first marriage to Isabella Moir.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone who might be able to clarify this situation for me.
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James Florence/ Isabella Moir/ Margaret Wright
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim
Mary Florence b 1809 was the mother of an ancestor of mine but I know little about her. She married a John Moir, where and when I know not and had 9 children. Her parents were James Florence and Margaret Wright. But that's the sum total of my knowledge. Perhaps you can help me?
Regards
Colin
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 23:41 BST (UK) »
If a marriage record doesn't exist - and many didn't make it into the records that have survived - then one way of getting some clarification is the marriage or death certificates of their children. Would be worth looking at a death certificate for one of his children with Isabella Moir, or a marriage certificate for one of them if any of them married after 1855.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline rosinaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 01:25 BST (UK) »
A question: As u are a descendant of John Florence/Isabel Cran - I was wondering if u have done
any searching on the Florence families.... John florence/Isabel Cran's son James b. 1849 married
Jane Smith, their son James b. 1875 married Catherine Ann Williams.
My interest lies in George Florence b. 1905 son of James/Catherine Ann - he was killed by a train
at Leucher Fife in 1930...
He was presumably the father of my half sister Molly Roberton Wright b. 1924 at Oyne, she died
in 1979 at Brighton England... Her children are interested in hearing anything abt their  paternal
grandfather & his family...Eronically Margaret Wright/Wight was an ancestor of mine too...
One more thing I have Isabel Florence 1813-1851  married to John Morrison  u have her 1813-1902 married to William Morrison  - I'll have to check that out - do u have confirmation?

An answer to Colin Cam - I have a copy of a death certificate fm Scotland People 225/00 0011
for Mary Florence (71) died Feb 27th, 1880 pauper widow of James Garden Crofter daughter of
James Florence/Margaret Wight (in this case) she died in a poorhouse in New Deer..
Was she married twice - Colin has her married to a John Moir with 9 children - I'll have to get back to the drawing board..
wld appreciate hearing fm u both
Rosina Jarvis

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosina
To recap, a direct ancestor of mine married Barbara Moir in Udny in 1864. In their marriage record, her parents are given as John Moir, blacksmith and Mary Florence, both alive.
In the 1841 Census, the Moir family are shown living in Hatton Crook, Udny with Mary Moir nee Florence aged 30 and Barbara aged 6
In the OPRs there is only one Mary Florence who is born around 1811 and she was born to James Florence and Margaret Wright. So with no other information, I assumed that was her.
However from the Mary Florence death certificate that you have, it looks as though I am totally wrong and that the birth of my Mary Florence has not been registered.
Sorry to cause you confusion. Can you send me a copy of the death certificate?
Regards
Colin
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hello jimmain,

Like you I cannot find a record for a James Florence / Isabella Moir marriage and, as you have seen, most births during your time frame were registered under the father's name only.

However, as the attached death record for James Florence (born 1800) shows, this marriage did take place.  Although it does not necessarily connect James Florence/Isabella Moir to James Florence/Margaret Wright, it may help to shed some light.
1856 FLORENCE JAMES/MOIR M 56 PETERHEAD BURGH /ABERDEEN 232/01 0118

brigau

Offline rosinaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 15:18 BST (UK) »
Colin:
I just went into Scotland'sPeople and here is what I found for u..

Mary (Florence) Moir widow of John Moir died 31st August 1896 (88) at parish of Cluny dau of
Peter Florence/Barbara Tough.  Informant: James Gordon (grandson) cause of death: disease of
heart several years... 181/00 0019..

I always go for the death - hoping it is after 1855 which gives more information - hope this is a
help to u.
I wld send u a copy of this if I knew how to do attachments; but, being 81 yrs of age I'm lucky I
know how to do searches, my son keeps showing me but it doesn't sink in..
Rosina

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 16:07 BST (UK) »
Rosina
A huge thank you for finding that record. There is no need for you to send it to me; I can easily get it from Scotland's People myself.
I'm impressed that you are still active genealogically at the age of 81. Keep up the good work!
If I can reciprocate in any way, do not hesitate to ask through this topic.
Regards
Colin

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosina, Yes, I am a decendant of John Florence/ Isobel Cran. Their son James (Jane Smith) had a daughter, Elspet, who married my grandfather, Drummond Main, 1911, Toronto Ontario Canada. I have done a lot of work on the Florences & can send you the information I have if you let me know your email address.
RE: James Florence/ Isabella Moir/ Margaret Wight: As I noted previously, one credible Florence researcher had James first married to Isabella Moir. This couple had two sons, James 1800 (Mary Falconer 1826); John 1801 (Marjory Bannerman). Both sons were blacksmiths who lived in Peterhead, a fishing village on the easternmost part of Scotland in Aberdeenshire. I am convinced that was a different James Florence. James Florence (Margaret Wight) lived in Auchterless. James’ death record states that his spouse was Margaret Wight, so I know that this information is correct. However, I was not able to find any record of that marriage, nor of the one between James Florence/ Isabella Moir.  Regards, Jim Main
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen