Author Topic: Boylan in Glasgow - any suggestions welcome!  (Read 7159 times)

Offline ojs_uk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boylan in Glasgow - any suggestions welcome!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 October 14 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hmm, it is getting interesting.
I took your advice and got the birth record for Francis from Scotlands People.
It is definitely the same family, that James mentions in his marriage cert.

The father is Lawrence Boylan (a journeyman mason). The mother is Charlotte Boylan (née Brown). It also has the marriage information - 11th November 1858 at "Castleblarney", Ireland. (Edit - actually, it looks more like "Castleblayney", but the join is right on the y)

I'll try to follow-up on this through the Irish records, now I have a concrete place to start. But it still leaves 2 unanswered questions:
- Where was James, before and after the birth of his son? Back to Ireland?
- Who are his biological parents? It is John and Mary Ann, or Lawrence and Charlotte. If the former, why was he living next door in 1871?

I had a look for the birth of John Boylan in 1865, but couldn't find the right one. He could have been born in Ireland, of course.
I'll keep you posted on what else I can find.
Thanks again!  :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 October 14 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi again.
James is recorded as John and Mary Ann's son - not to say that means he definitely was (mistake made or a lie ?? Lots of people were economical with the truth on Censuses  :)  ) or it could be a different James.
John Jnr is recorded with Ireland as his place of birth.

Finding them on 1881 would be something to move on to,

Is James listed at time of marriage as a bachelor? He is no youngster for  first time marriage at 38. And are his parents recorded as deceased on the marriage cert.
Looby :)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 October 14 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi all ,

Just to add this possible reference -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5LT-379

ev

Added - I now see Ciderdrinker had already found that.
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 October 14 17:20 BST (UK) »
Mmmm - there is a death in 1901 that could be of interest.
Charlotte Boylan   other name Brown at Govan Glasgow aged 56 ??
This would mean Charlotte was born circa 1844/1845. The Charlotte we've found in 1871 was born circa 1834 . Could these be one and the same person?

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 October 14 17:33 BST (UK) »
And there's a Laurence Boylan death in 1899 at Govan - age 53.
D.o.b  approx. 1845/6 - again about 10 years out from you chap - but another interesting co-incidence .
Maybe whoever was registering these deaths had no clue how old the people were ! :-\

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 October 14 17:43 BST (UK) »
There is a Laurence Boylan aged 47 born Ireland in Dunbartonshire on the 1891 Census.
Just looking at the index.

ev

Added -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KSFR-KC1
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ojs_uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 October 14 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again.
James is recorded as John and Mary Ann's son - not to say that means he definitely was (mistake made or a lie ?? Lots of people were economical with the truth on Censuses  :)  ) or it could be a different James.
John Jnr is recorded with Ireland as his place of birth.

Finding them on 1881 would be something to move on to,

Is James listed at time of marriage as a bachelor? He is no youngster for  first time marriage at 38. And are his parents recorded as deceased on the marriage cert.

Hi Looby,

Yes, James is recorded as a Bachelor (at 38) and Sarah a spinster (at 36). Agreed that this is unusually late. His parents are not listed as deceased, but his father-in-law is.
I grabbed a copy of the Census for 1871 for both Lawrence / Charlotte and John / May Ann / James. It doesn't add a lot of information, which is not listed above - and no birthplaces except for Ireland.

I've had no luck on finding anything on the Castleblayney marriage yet, so far.

Thanks,
Owen

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 October 14 19:11 BST (UK) »
There is a Tawrence Boylan born 1835 outwith Scotland on the 1881 Census at West and Old Kilpatrick, Dunbartonshire. A mistranscription perhaps?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KMKJ-PS5
Also Charlotte Boylan born 1833  - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KMKJ-PSR
and a Thomas born 1862, a Michael born 1865 and a Francis born 1871 - all born outwith Scotland apart from Francis who has Lanarkshire as his place of birth.
Would assume these people are altogether but original Census would need to be looked at.
Sadly  :'( no James!
Looby

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 October 14 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think Charlotte may be found in the Govan Poorhouse in 1901 as a widow. This perhaps shows that you may have to think, as suggested earlier, about variations in transcribing the surname Boylan. One site has her as Charlotte B Borglin and another as Charlotte B Boylin.

The 1881 census has the family living in Old Kirkpatrick, Dunbartonshire. One site has transcribed the surname as Baylan. Another has Boylan but has transcribed Lawrence as Tawrence! 1891 has  a Laurence Boylan, a mason still in Old Kirkpatrick but seemingly on his own, age 49. The age given for Lawrence in 1881 is 46. The 1891 Laurence is a widower just to complicate matters further.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)