Author Topic: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family  (Read 57143 times)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family
« Reply #234 on: Friday 01 August 14 16:55 BST (UK) »
A very good one

Now I know why my Eldest is mad on Horses - Uhm that's a bit of a long shot!

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Sunday 03 August 14 09:01 BST (UK) »
Morning

A bit more , and corrections on Ronald Jillings :

He was picked up by his Cousin Gordon Thomas Gayford, ( who was a Commercial Traveller, - that enlisted on 27th Nov 1914 from the Governor General’s Bodyguard, survived the war , having been promoted Lieutenant on Oct 23 1915 and was the son of Arthur Gayford  ( who had been Lewis John’s Best man ) and his wife ( Mrs. Edith Gayford , who was down as head of household, had been Edith Geraldine Jillings ). Gordon survived the two world wars, married Hazel Arnold on the 27th Oct 1923 and eventually died in 1989 age 95 yrs in Toronto Canada.  Ronald sadly did not.
Ronald after six months in Canada, decided to follow his cousin and join the Governor General’s Bodyguard, then when he was old enough he enlisted with the 52nd Battalion
Canadian Infantry ( Manitoba Reg.), that was on the 8th November 1915, after this is somewhat surmise as no actual records seem to exist though dates seem to tally,
It is possible that he might have been with the first group, who left St John for Plymouth on the 22nd Nov 1915 aboard the S.S.California  ( meaning that he would have missed basic training), however this might have been waivered due to his service with the G.G.B .

More to follow

Best

John

Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Sunday 03 August 14 09:06 BST (UK) »
A bit more

If this was so, then the Battalion arrived in Plymouth on the 3rd Dec and went straight to Witley camp, for six weeks training under British Instructors. (As to whether Ronald had Christmas leave and was able to get home to Lodden, I suppose we will never know, but only hope it was the case).
In January Battalion moves to Bramshott for two more weeks training, and then on the 20th February 1916, sails from Southampton to Le Havre, and spends the night at No.1 Rest camp during a snow storm, following day Battalion. takes train to Belgium.
On the 23rd Feb the 52nd joins the 9th Brigade, other Battalions are the 43rd, 58th, and 60th.;
In the beginning of March, they are in billets at Locre, having been attached to the 7th Brigade in the Ypres sector, in that first week all the Battalion members took turns in the trenches, for trench warfare instruction, experiencing light rifle and machine gun fire.
The first rotation at the front (as a unit) was on the 10th of March when they relieved 24th Batt. at M and N trenches in the Kemmal area.
Battalion completes it’s first rotation on the 16th March, having had their first combat fatality, on the 11th, when Pte Joe Sebastin, was killed while on patrol.
After a short break, when many were sent on further training courses, on the 1st April, they moved back to the front to relieve 60 Batt at ‘Shrapnal Corner’.
On the 5th April, in turn relieved by 60 Batt and returns to billets at Railway Dugouts and Maple Copse.  With thanks to T. Fisher & D. Ratz, for this information on the 52nd Battalion.

And orf to the garden

Best

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Monday 04 August 14 09:45 BST (UK) »
The final information that I have on Ronald Jillings is :

Between the 15th & 16th August 52 Battalion moved once again up to the Front Line to relieve 60 Battalion, in position trench 38 centre to 44, to and inclusive Fosseway, 8 Officers and 450 men – ‘D’ Company, right front line trench 38 – 41, most men in support and deep living trench. ‘B’ Coy Left of front line and supports. ‘C’ Coy Metropolitan, right & left Support. ‘A’ Coy Reserve – 2 Platoons – Larch Wood – 2 Platoons Fosseway.
Battalion was holding 600yds N.E. from Ypres – Comines Canal ( a part known as the ‘Bluff’) on the 19 th of Aug Battalion suffered heavy Artillery and sniper fire, killing 4 and injuring 10 – though the Men are not named,  we believe that Ronald was one of them.

August 19th 1916 Ronald was killed in action he was 19 years old. Ronald reg No. 201828
52 Battalion of the Canadian Infantry, buried Railway Dugouts Burial  Ground  Zilebeke.
Plot VI..J.5 From records we know that he was 5 ft 8ins tall, Hazel eyes and Fair hair.

Best

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Friday 08 August 14 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe

Am back to digging for more info on John.T the Architect and came across this in the Newcastle Courant, for Friday 12 Sept 1862, and wondered if any of yours used that chapel

" The Committee for building the New Wesleyan Association in Westoe Lane, South Shields, have selected the design by Mr John Tillman, architect, Sunderland. The estimated cost of the building is £3,000."

Wonder if it and Westoe  Lane still exist ?

Best

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Sunday 10 August 14 06:44 BST (UK) »
For anyone searching for Mariners circa 1868

Following were on the 'Royal Ark's' maiden voyage in 1868 - UK to Sulina and back :

George Dale Brown Apprentice ( no previous ship noted )

George Buchanan  43yrs- Cook/AB (ex 'Mazeppay')

George Sparks  29yrs - AB  (ex 'Lynda Florida')

William Conley 22yrs - AB   ( ex  "         "       )

Henry Harrison 23yrs -AB (ex "John Hy Yates" of seaham )

John Phas Saivessce 22yrs- AB ( ex ' Jealousy' )

John Rodgers  26 yrs - AB ( ex 'Dinor' )

Hope this may be of help, think they were all North East coast Gents;

Best

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 03:58 BST (UK) »
...Am back to digging for more info on John.T the Architect and came across this in the Newcastle Courant, for Friday 12 Sept 1862, and wondered if any of yours used that chapel

" The Committee for building the New Wesleyan Association in Westoe Lane, South Shields, have selected the design by Mr John Tillman, architect, Sunderland. The estimated cost of the building is £3,000."....

Hello John,

No, not so's I know of - St. Hilda's (CoE), Heugh Street Presbyterian and Mile End Road Presbyterian are the ones I know for certain.

Got another snippett on Gordon Thomas Gayford. Page 225 of this pdf tells you that he got his commission in the British Army 23 October 1915. (That's p225 of the actual book, not Google's pagination.)

[PDF]
The 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles - ElectricCanadian.com
www.electriccanadian.com/forces/mountedrifles00bennuoft.pdf
a unit of the Canadian Expeditionary Force on. November ...... Canadian Expeditionary Force was entitled to vote on the issue of ...... GAYFORD, G.T.. 4th C.M.R..

Are you sure you haven't got any more mariners to research (wistfull sigh)? I rather miss our frequent chattings. I've done little research this summer - too much gardening. (rueful smile) I must be getting old - I don't seem to get as much done as I used to.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Westoe

Sorry for delay, but have been away with the camper for a couple of weeks, thru Belgium, Holland and into Germany to see Kleve ( where Henry VIII's wife came from), taking in Aachen ( Of Charlemagne fame ) on the way. Note - They do have rather a lot of RAIN up there !!!!

Now trying to fill in more info on Thomasin's sons Peter and Thomas ( the ship's Chippies ) and their Father's death ? ( Henry Ellington, ex mate of the Seaflower, born 17th April 1791 - then nothing after son Peter was born in 1833).

Thanks again for info, now you know my age, so if you are younger, I can let you know it gets even worse, but if you are older, I now know what to look forward to !!!!!

Sure there are many more mariners, that I need to know about, with your help, and in fact have just found that wife's family also have one to be discovered - more Later.

Best

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Sunday 07 September 14 09:35 BST (UK) »
Further on Peter (Tillman) Ellington

After a re read of the crew list of the 'Invicta' (assumed lost with all hands, on  Haisborough Sands in Sept 1867)

I note that Peter had taken a sub of £2 5s  and also made an allotment of £2 5s to commence in 2 months time - which leads me to believe that his wife and family were still around ( Peter had married Mary. E on the 29th Oct 1860, and I had picked them up again working for the Navy in Chatham on the 1861 CENSUS - after this on the Invicta  Crew's List he gave his previous ship as
' Pride of the Wear ' ( on which his elder Brother was Captain).

His address given on a newspaper report of the disappearance of the ship was

21 South Johnson Street Sunderland

Am in contact with Happisboro and other town in the region of Haisborough sands, to see if there is any ref of the ship or crew.

Any ideas please on how to find Peter's wife and family Mary was born in Sunderland in 1833

Best

John