Author Topic: Do you know this stone cross  (Read 15046 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Do you know this stone cross
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 January 12 00:26 GMT (UK) »
That's brilliant Shane  :)

thanks.... there are loads of old ecclesiastical monuments, churches etc  in Co. Meath so wasn't really expecting to find anything to match, but our friend Google Images showed a unlabelled photo which seemed to show a similar cross the same strange metal supports ... after that, 'the game was afoot!'

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 January 12 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

I had looked at those images (obviously not closely enough)- as you say there are lots.
It's amazing though isn't it that you can find it like that and that it is on Google street view.  :)

Happy New Year

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline athcarne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Do you know this stone cross- The Whitecross
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 May 13 19:48 BST (UK) »
This stone cross is right outside my house.
Situated on the Abbey road from Duleek to Balrath.
Erected in 1675 for Sir Luke Bathe by his wife Dame Cecilia Dowdall. They resided in the local Athcarne Castle. For google map enter Reask or Athcarne.
The laneway is in the townlands of Reask / Gaulstown, Duleek
Let me know if you require further info. Tony Redmond

Offline athcarne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
St Cianan's Church Duleek Co.Meath
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 May 13 20:07 BST (UK) »
Found another one, he was baptised in this church, does anyone recognize this font?

This is St.Cianan's Church in Mains Street Duleek. There are records of birth, death, marriages from 1865 approx. available in the parish office to the side of the Parochial house beside the church. These are in alphabetical order. The originals are within the Parochial house and copies are also kept in the library in Trim..............Tony Redmond 

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 May 13 19:21 BST (UK) »
Oh Thank you Tony,
That's pretty much all I wanted now, I have a good idea of where they lived and now I have the chruch as well.
I'm not looking for any old records, my grandparents were from Westmeath but they were living in Meath when they had my uncle and father, but they only lived there for about eight years. I just wanted to get an idea of where and the photos were pretty much all I had to go on.

Offline athcarne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Do you know this stone cross
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 May 13 19:36 BST (UK) »
Let me know who were your relations in this area as we have lived in what was the old Geraghty homestead for the past 40 years.
The WhiteCross was originally built into the corner of a house at this junction. When this house became derelict and crumbling the cross was erected in its present position which is about 6ft from the gable end of the original cottage.

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 May 13 23:12 BST (UK) »
They were only there for 8 years and left in 1930. James Nugent and his wife was Mary. He was a ploughman but lose an eye so lost his job. My father did talk about getting water from a stream I think it was behind the house. The house was gone when he went back in the 90s. But it was on that small road where the cross is.
I would be interested to know who he might have worked for, who would have had a big farm in that area? Just if you know it's not worth going to any trouble for.

Offline athcarne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Do you know this stone cross
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 June 13 06:15 BST (UK) »
Sinann
I have interviewed all of the elderly people in the Whitecross/Athcarne/Duleek area and none remember any Nugent's in this area. (There were Nugents in Duleek). However none of my neighbours were living here before late 1930's. Have you any further information on the location of your Nugent's home in this area. I have unearthed the remains of the house that stood on the exact location of this stone monument. This stone house fell down in the early 1900's and was replaced by a cottage on the opposite side of the road built 1912.....Tony

My father took this photo and on the back wrote Entrance to lane where the house he was born in stood.

I know they lived in or near Duleek but I'd love to find the lane on Google maps can you help please?

Online Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 June 13 22:59 BST (UK) »
Oh you have gone to so much trouble athcarne. Thank you so much.
I don't have any more clues about the house.
I never thought to get this far, getting the name of the church and getting so close to the house is great.
I'll have to wait for the 1926 census for any more clues. The house went with the job so his landlord I would assume was his employer, well hopefully.
Thanks.