Author Topic: Mary Duffy and Michael McLoughlin  (Read 11129 times)

Offline upmayo1969

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Duffy and Michael McLoughlin
« on: Tuesday 24 October 06 14:03 BST (UK) »
These are my great grand parents.  They were from Tavneena, Charlestown, Co. Mayo.  Mary Duffy died after giving birth to her last child and Michael died some years later.  I have no dates or any information other then my grandmothers date of Birth which was 1/1/1911 she was a twin. Her brother was born 12/31/1910.  If anyone has access to records I would grately appreciate the help.
Henry, Byrnes, McLoughlin, Duffy, Ruane, Nolan,Co. Mayo
Duignan, Teague, Harkins, Deignan; Co. Leitrim

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Duffy and Michael McLoughlin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 22:38 GMT (UK) »
charlestown in Mayo the parish is kilbeagh [Achonry]
                                 Lep

Offline upmayo1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Just wanted to say thanks for the information.  I have found my great grand father Michael McLoughlin.  However, I can not locate my great grand mother Mary Duffy.  I think I might request a copy of my grandmothers birth certificate and get some more information from that.  Hope all is well in Kilkelly and Happy Christmas

Cara McCarthy (nee) Henry

Offline Tavneena26

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 May 08 18:30 BST (UK) »
I just reviewed the 1911 Irish Census and found the following in Tavneena:

Michael McLoughlin, age 35, head of household
Mary McLoughlin, age 30, wife
Patrick McLoughlin, age 1, son
Thomas McLoughlin, age 50, brother (to head of household)
Bridget McLoughlin, age 53, sister
Bridget Frain, age 10, niece
Bridget McLoughlin, age 10, niece
Mary McLoughlin, age 6, niece

My main families in Tavneena are Halligan and Doherty, but I copied this because the McLoughlins are cousins to my Halligan/Dohertys.  My ancestors are Thomas Halligan and Bridget Doherty, born 1851 and 1855, respectively.  They had 6 children, one of which was my great-grandfather.  On a ship manifest, I found my great-aunt traveling with her Doherty and McLoughlin cousins to Philadelphia, PA.  They were all picked up by their "Aunt Kate Maher", who I believe was originally a Doherty. 

I hope this information is helpful to you.  I am looking to learn how my Halligans were cousins to the McLoughlins, so any information you could share would be greatly appreciated.  Best of luck to you!

PS  Check out www.MayoAncestors.com for information such as birth, marriage and death records.  It only covers up to 1900, but it may help with Mary Duffy.  There is a charge to view the record, though.

Offline upmayo1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 May 08 19:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information.  I think the people you sited might be my great great grandparents.  My grandmother was Bridget McLoughlin (b. 1916).  Her Father was Michael McLoughlin and Mother was Mary Duffy, my father remembers his grandfather but only from before the age of 10.  My grandmother had a sister Mary who left Ireland and went to PA.  She died before I was born so I don't know much about her but your connection to PA could explain why she went there when most of my other relatives came to RI and MA.

Thanks again for the information.

Offline PeggyMay77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Your Mary Duffy McLoughlin was almost certainly a cousin of my grandmother.  My maternal grandmother was Bridget Duffy, d of James Duffy (1857-1940) & Sarah Gallagher (1866-1919), and grand-daughter of Carberry Duffy (1815?-1896) & Anne Jordan.   Carberry Duffy had at least 3 children:  Bridget, your great-great-grandmother (b before 1855, d before 1911); Phillip (1856-?), and James (as above).   I suspect there must have been other children of Carberry Duffy too, but I have not yet managed to track them down since I dip into family research only as and when I have time, and the records are not good pre-1855/1860. 

You should visit http://brsgenealogy.com for Irish BMD records if you want to check details.  You have to register and will pay 5 Euro to see a transcript of each record.  Note that not all the births for which there is a Church (baptismal) record will necessarily have a matching "Civil" record.  The Civil records tend to have more detail of course and so are more useful for genealogy research, but the baptismal records are helpful enough in identifying the right person.

I have quite a lot of detail for my immediate Duffy ancestors (transcripts of church records from microfiche/microfilm in Dublin, copies of BMD certifs, etc.), details about who went where when (ships' manifests), but not all may be directly relevant or of interest to you.  However, I do have a copy of your great-great-grandmother's marriage certificate and can forward this if you don't already have it yourself.   

Offline Ilovemayo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 April 10 05:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information.  I am not sure that this is my great grandmothers family because the only information I have is my grandmothers name Bridget Henry (nee McLoughlin) and her parents names Micheal McLoughlin and Mary McLoughlin (nee Duffy).  My grandmother was born in Tavneena, Charlestown. She had a twin brother Matt and several other brothers Packie, John, Ted, Thomas, and a sister Mary who came to the US.  My grandaunt Mary died before I was born and all of the names I mentioned have since passed on. I will check information on the web site you recommended.  How are you that sure that my great grandmother is a cousin to your family??

Sorry to be skeptical but I don't really know all that much about this side of my family.

Cara

Offline PeggyMay77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Cara,

You could well be right, and it's always wise to be a little sceptical without the hard facts! 

Anyway, I looked back into where I got this information from and it was from Mike Alazarki at http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.britisles.ireland.may.general/2788/mb.ashx

However, I didn't then validate all of that information at the time, and now see that neither the 1901 or 1911 census has the younger two he mentions, Mary and Bessie, in the family of "my" Philip Duffy who in 1911 lived at house number 16, Tawnynah Lower.  Also, I see from the church marriage records that (your) Michael McLoughlin married a Mary Duffy from Cloonnamna in Kilmovee R.C. church on 14 April 1909.  Since "my" Duffys had no association with Cloonnamna that I'm aware of, it seems that your Mary Duffy is indeed not a cousin of my grandmother -- I should never have said "almost certainly" in my first posting!!  This could be checked against a copy of their civil marriage certificate, and this I don't have.