Author Topic: A gala, where is it ?  (Read 7065 times)

Offline Gragareth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A gala, where is it ?
« on: Wednesday 27 August 14 19:48 BST (UK) »
Inherited these prints. Anyone know where it is, and when etc..Could be celebrating the Queen's
coronation. Or  the end of WW2 I think less likely.  Replies appreciated.             Gragareth.
Binns, Howgate, Lister, Mountain, Pickles, Procter, Hall, at Leeds.   Bowron at Barnard Castle<br />Co.Durham.  Cordingley, Crosthwaite, Hardwick, Kilburn, Thompson, Turton,  nr Methley,Rothwell and Whitkirk nr Leeds.  Hall at Hull.  Pottage, Key, Risdale, at Lincs.<br />Links to Howgate at Wigan. Cookson at Huddersfield. Mountain at Otley area.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A gala, where is it ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 23:26 BST (UK) »
The second one looks like the children are dressed as nursery rhyme characters....it does have a fifties look about it too.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 23:49 BST (UK) »
Possibly summer of 1953. The children look fairly affluent. I would say the photograph is taken south of the North/South Divide. 1st ptotograph, boy with suit/shorts (centre)  looks like how I was dressed at that age at that time. 

Offline hsfam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 23:55 BST (UK) »
The second one looks like the children are dressed as nursery rhyme characters....it does have a fifties look about it too.
Carol

Oh Yes! The little girl holding the bowl with a spider on her skirt must be Little Miss Muffet!

I swear the little boy in the middle of the three boys in the first picture is wearing the same outfit my father was wearing in a photo when he was about the same age. Even down to the same hair cut and facial expression.  ;) He was born in 1940. (Edited to add that he was born in England who came out to Australia in 1954 as a 10 pounder, if that helps to add to timescales and locations.)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 August 14 00:32 BST (UK) »
Very cute.

It is difficult to date especially as the children are in 'costume', however I am going to guess 1940s due to the hairstyles and dress (at least the small part I can see) of the older ladies in the top photo.  :) Or if they are unfashionable it might be later.  :)

Due to the flag I am wondering if it might be a dating clue and related to WW2?

I would also be interested to know if there are any other similar (era) photos in the collection?

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 August 14 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Trying to work out what it says on the 2 cards held by the girl with the tins.

"King George"? + 2 dates?

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 August 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

Trying to work out what it says on the 2 cards held by the girl with the tins.

"King George"? + 2 dates?

Ray

Well spied. I'm sure it will help if we can work out what that says. Maybe one of the whizzes can enhance it?  :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 August 14 12:18 BST (UK) »
I tried to enhance it but it pixelates badly and the writing blurs...I thought I could see...Be there the???
As it is scanned from a negative at 300ppi...then it needs to be scanned at around 600-800dpi to be in with a chance of reading what is on the card.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 August 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry - deleted irrelevant question!
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)