Author Topic: Michael Duffy/Mary Kelly  (Read 13801 times)

Offline cariotten

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Duffy/Mary Kelly
« on: Sunday 14 December 08 23:47 GMT (UK) »
I am at a dead end!! I NEED help!!!   I am looking for info on a Michael Duffy married to Mary(or Margret) Kelly. They may have married in Monaghan. They lived in Pennsylvania, USA around 1855+. They had one son- James, and possibly another- Andrew. James was born around 1857. James went on to move to Iowa, married Elizabeth Brennan, moved to Minnesota and started a family.
I have a 93 year old grandmother who would love to get more info on this man. He was her GGrandfather. If you have ANY info, suggestions etc plz let me know. P.S  He does not show up on any federal census for any years grouping him with his family. He may have died shortly after moving here.
Thank you
Cari Otten

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Duffy/Mary Kelly
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 December 08 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat but afraid it won't be easy to find any information without the name of a place in County Monaghan (townland or at least parish). Duffy and Kelly are both very common surnames found in many areas. Civil registration of Catholic marriages started in 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages) and for earlier dates you need to search for church records, if they exist, but to do so you need to know where they lived in Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 December 08 22:53 GMT (UK) »
How sure were you that they had a son called Andrew as that is probably your best clue because that Christian name was uncommon in Co Monaghan with only one Andrew Duffy and one Andrew Kelly householder listed in the whole of the County in the Primary Valuation of 1860.

Interestingly, the Andrew Kelly is at Killark in the parish of Magheracloone where there is also a James Duffy. It is a long shot, but if the two children you mention happened to be named after their grandparents, in the absence of any other information, a search of the Magheracloone marriage registers might be worth a try.

Good luck,
J.T.A.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 23:22 GMT (UK) »
What religion?  All important!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Emorye

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 December 11 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cari!

I am a descendant of the Michael Duffy/Mary Kelly line and I have information for you. I tried to email you on the address from genealogy.com, but it said that the account had been disabled. Please reply if you would like me to send you further information.
Best,
Erin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 December 11 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Once you and Carl have 2/3 posts you'll both be able to use (Personal Message) system to exchange email addresses and personal details which you aren't allowed to post online.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cariotten

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 August 14 16:53 BST (UK) »

Hello! I am so hoping to find you ! I have been absent from this website. Please contact me if you receive this post.

Thank you! Cari

Hi Cari!

I am a descendant of the Michael Duffy/Mary Kelly line and I have information for you. I tried to email you on the address from genealogy.com, but it said that the account had been disabled. Please reply if you would like me to send you further information.
Best,
Erin

Offline cario22

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 October 22 23:44 BST (UK) »
I am SO glad I checked back!   I have been away a very long time!!
New email!
 please share whatever you can.  How are you related?
Excited to hear back!!

Best,
Cari