Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 77191 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #81 on: Friday 22 August 14 21:03 BST (UK) »
Just remember that the father of David Richards of Strygos was named Thomas Richards. Have we looked closely at him as being one of the two Thomases that we have.

D.D. 1460. Indenture, dated i Aug. 1769, being a lease for a year (so that a grant by release might be made) from David Richards of Strygosfawr in the parish of Lledrod, CO. Cardigan, gent, (son and heir of Thomas Richards of the same place, gent.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Friday 22 August 14 23:24 BST (UK) »
Looking again at your last post. Could the 1777 release that refers to 1762 that mentions a Jane and Thomas Richards, Gent, possibly be the Thomas Richards yeoman, and Jane Morgan, Widow, both of Ystradmeurig. (220-1, 1746  my post of today). A marriage between these two would explain their involvement with Bryn Issaf and introduce a possible couple that could be John and James' parents. We discounted the Thomas from Llandewi because he was too old and Thomas his son. too young. (He married to London).
 Sorry for 'bits and pieces' posts but that's how my mind works.
                                                     Regards, Peter.

Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 23 August 14 08:23 BST (UK) »
I think the 1746 Thomas Richard is the father of Edward Richard(Ystrad Meurig).Thomas probably dies in the early 1750s(though I can't find a confident record).

This is a further reference

Release of the equity of redemption of the properties specified in Nos 220-1 of 28-9 Sept. 1746, and deed declaring ..., 1756, Oct. 28. 

Level
File 

Summary
1 Jane Morgan of p. Sputty Ystraed Meyrick, co. Card., widow. 2 Edward Richard of the village of Ystrad Meyrick in the said p. gent., son, heir ands administrator of Thomas Richard, late of the said village, yeoman, dec. Release of the equity of redemption of the properties specified in Nos 220-1 of 28-9 Sept. 1746, and deed declaring the uses of the fine specified therein. Witnesses: David Richard's of foes a blyddied, David Williams of Pen y graig, and Thomas Davies of Wernvelen.

This appears to imply a will,which I can't identify either.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Saturday 23 August 14 10:52 BST (UK) »
Going back to your post on the 1st page of this topic, (Regarding a will of 1722 for David Richard).
 I have found a later will for the same man ... the 1722 seems to dispose of property to his wife, brother and cousin whereas the next will of 1727 gives details of the small bequests. Lo and behold, we find that he had 5 sons and a daughter!
The sons start  with, as usual, a David, followed by William, Lewis, Thomas and Edward. The daughter is Jane. This gives us a bigger pool of possible fathers for John and James. (Remember that the closest note that we have for Bryn Issaf and the birthdates of John and James mention a Thomas and Jane).
                                    regards, Peter.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Saturday 23 August 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
I would doubt that these are the same person.I don't think there is any sign of commonality or revocation.Surely it would be most unusual to have two published wills for the same person.I can't see immediately if there is a death date associated with the earlier one,but I will look again.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Saturday 23 August 14 12:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's suspicious ... just looking at the cash left shows that the 1727 David was not wealthy ... the 1722 David has property. However, if you look at Image 4 for the 1727 will you will see the name 'Magdalen'.
The entry is in Latin and the image is of poor quality but may be some confirmation of the completion of the disbursement of the estate.
 If these two Davids are not the same person then we still have the addition of other Richards into the equation.
Have you noticed that most of the Richard family at this time were illiterate and that Edward Richard, School, is very often shown as a witness.
        Regards, Peter

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Saturday 23 August 14 12:27 BST (UK) »
Image 4 is the probate of the Will and it certainly mentions Magdalena (Sic) Richard.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Saturday 23 August 14 13:38 BST (UK) »
I think she is his wife,as the body of the will appoints his "dearly beloved wife" as sole executrix(without specifically naming her).The Latin includes ...testatrix......and it is reasonable to assume this is her also.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Saturday 23 August 14 14:51 BST (UK) »
We have 2 David Richard's of Ystradmeurig dying within 5 years of each other and  both had wives named Magdalen. It doesn't give a property in the 1727 will either so gives us just about nothing to work on. Notice that the 1722 wife is named Magdalen Jenkins, and the 1727 one is named Magdalen Richards.
                             Regards Peter.