Author Topic: HILDA ELIZABETH CHARLES - QLD - 1907 TO 1993  (Read 2359 times)

Offline PinkFairy7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HILDA ELIZABETH CHARLES - QLD - 1907 TO 1993
« on: Saturday 23 August 14 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Iv just finished looking up UK ancestors and now looking into Australia ancestors so im new to the systems we use to looking up Australia ancestors.

Im trying to figure out who Hilda Elizabeth Charles father is?

Hilda was born on the 27.01.1907 her mother was Elizabeth. I found her birth certificate on QLD BDM (haven't ordered it tad expensive for me) and it says mother Elizabeth Charles but no detail of the father.

I have a family tree that has been done up with in the family that says Elizabeths dad was Andrew Charles and her mother Naomi. unfortunately that all the information I have.

Does anyone know anything of the family or know how else I might be able to find out who her father is?

thanks millions in advance

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HILDA ELIZABETH CHARLES - QLD - 1907 TO 1993
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 August 14 12:53 BST (UK) »
The birth registration in 1907 with no father named indicates that Hilda was the illegitimate daughter of Elizabeth CHARLES.  I think that Elizabeth was possibly the daughter of Andrew CHARLES and Naomi ROWLINGS/RAWLINGS and so they were Hilda's grandparents, not her parents.

Queensland BDMs are free to search online.

https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/queryEntry.m?type=births

Debra  :)

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 August 14 12:59 BST (UK) »
QLD Marriage 1924 C3789 Robert Francis Farrell and Hilda Elizabeth Charles   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 August 14 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there Pink Fairy,

Yes, Qld BDM online index does NOT include a father’s name for Hilda Elizabeth, and provides Hilda’s mother’s name as Elizabeth CHARLES.   This suggests to me that Hilda’s birth certificate does NOT include details of a marriage for her parents.  If that is the case, then it is very unlikely that Hilda’s father will be identified on that birth certificate UNLESS HE attended to the registration himself, and nominated his relationship (as the informant) to the baby whose birth was being registered. 

You can download the image for that birth cert for $20 Australian.   Here is a LIST of what to expect on a Qld bdm historical IMAGE of birth certs from that era:

(First Section)
The GIVEN names of the Child (the middle names can sometimes give hints re the father)
The SEX of the child
The DATE OF BIRTH of the child (sometimes this includes the day of the week, not just the full date !)
The PLACE OF BIRTH of the child (not just the district, but sometimes the name of the property, the street, the lying in hospital etc)

(Second Section)
FATHER
The Given NAME/s and SURNAME of the father
The OCCUPATION of the father
The AGE and BIRTHPLACE of the father (birthplace can include the locality, town, state and country)

(Third Section)
MOTHER
The Given NAME/s and MAIDEN SURNAME of the mother (and any other former surnames)
The AGE and BIRTHPLACE of the mother (birthplace can include the locality, town, state and country)

(Fourth Section)
PREVIOUS CHILDREN OF THE RELATIONSHIP
Names and Ages (listing the then living older siblings in chronological order, and those who had not survived at the end of the list)

(Fifth Section)
INFORMANT
Name, description of relationship and informant’s address

(Sixth Section)
REGISTRARs details (Registrar’s name, date and place of registration)

(Seventh Section)
NOTES if ANY (for example, if birth registered as “un-named” and then a name chosen for the baby.

So, from the Qld BDM online index, Hilda Elizabeth’s birth was registered.  The ref number is C2879 and the year 1907.  The “C” indicates that it was NOT registered in Brisbane.  (‘C’ for Country ie NON-Metropolitan)
https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/family-history-research/

I would expect that that Qld birth cert will show Hilda’s mum as Elizabeth CHARLES.   Perhaps Andrew and Naomi CHARLES were related to Elizabeth CHARLES and therefore were also related to Hilda?   Within my own family in that decade, I have examples where Grandparents raised their eldest children’s first born babies as though they were their OWN children, so perhaps Andrew and Naomi are one generation older than Elizabeth rather than one generation older than Hilda….   Of course, I am offering this in a speculative way, but may I ask if you have Hilda’s MARRIAGE certificate, and if so, who did she nominate as her parents?

RED POST .... Same thinking from me too  :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 August 14 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

There’s a 1932 death for an Andrew CHARLES, son of John (CHARLES) AND Catherine (JOHNSTON) on the Qld bdm index (C3496)

There’s a 1929 death for a Naomi CHARLES, dau of Willigm ROWLINGS and Harriet, and the index indicates that Naomi was born in Queensland and was aged 67 years. (So born about 1862)   (C3800)

May I suggest that a copy of Naomi’s death registration may have Andrew (her husband) as her informant, and it should list the names of their children.   So it should include Elizabeth, but not Hilda. 

Have you looked through the free to search digitised newspapers website….  Searches can be limited to Family notices at TROVE …. Here’s a link

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 August 14 13:20 BST (UK) »

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/21999347
Brisbane Courier, 3 Sept 1932 Obit for Andrew CHARLES

Cheers,  JM

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 August 14 13:29 BST (UK) »
Mrs McLachlan is one of the daughters mentioned in Andrew CHARLES obit
QLD Marriage 1914 C875 John Henry Alexander McLachlan and Elizabeth Charles   

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 August 14 13:32 BST (UK) »
Qld death: 1957 C5816 Elizabeth McLachlan; Father-Andrew Charles; Mother-Naomi Rawlings   

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 August 14 07:02 BST (UK) »
Burial
Warwick Cemetery
FARRELL, Hilda Elizebeth(sic) died 04.06.1993. Aged 86 yrs
Location- Lawn sect. Next to Allan J. FARRELL MI.

Warwick Cemetery
FARRELL, Allan John, died 18.06.1978 Aged 18 yrs 5m
Location- Lawn sect. d. suddenly MI

Warwick Cemetery
McLACHLAN, Elizabeth,died 05.10.1957 Aged 69 yrs
My wife, our mother & grandmother MI

Warwick Cemetery
McLACHLAN, John Alexander died. 06.07.1971 Aged 82 yrs
Our father. & grandfather.With wife Elizabeth 

Warwick Cemetery
CHARLES, Andrew died 30.08.1932 Aged 74 yrs, MI 

Inglewood Cemetery