Author Topic: John Stewart & Janet Thomson married 1807 stirling  (Read 6163 times)

Offline AimzJay85

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Stewart & Janet Thomson married 1807 stirling
« on: Sunday 01 March 09 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,
Have hit a brick wall. I have a John Stewart & Janet Thomson married in stirling July 1807. They had 7 children William b 1808 John 1810 Janet 1815 Margaret 1818 John 1819 Andrew 1821 Andrew1824 Obiously 1 john and 1 andrew died as children,  they were all baptised at St Ninians, Stirlingshire, anyone who could do lookups and give any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Amy
Names of interest are Stewart, Thomson, Livingstone, McArthur, Cochran, Keown, Mainly all of scotland

Offline robertalan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Stewart & Janet Thomson married 1807 stirling
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 January 12 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Dear Amy,
I have a lot of the info but am still searching for more. I did a lot of research when I was in Stirling last year. Are you from Newzealand?
Bob

Offline AimzJay85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 January 12 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob, so great to get you're message. Yes, we are in New Zealand, we live in Greymouth down on the west coast where our New Zealand Stewarts came to. Our e-mail is * If you would like to send an e-mail to there it would be awesome. Would love to share info with you, we just love finding and learning new stuff on the stewart line, we haven't been able to find much new stuff for quite some time. We have loads of information on the Stewarts that came to New Zealand, and also the scotland Stewarts, we look forward to hearing from you soon. Regards Paul & Amy Stewart.
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline robertalan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Dear Amy,
I live in Coal Creek just north of Greymouth. I think your Uncle Alan has most of it but I found some info which he never had. I got a print out of the birth notices of John Stewart and Janet Thomson's kids in the Stirling library.
1818 Margaret , daughter of John Stewart & Janet Thomson was born 2nd Feb and baptised 15th Feb 1818
1821 Andrew born 22 October 1821 baptised 18th November
Deaths- Janet Stewart aged 2 daughter of John Stewart died 21st buried 23rd February. It does not mention her mother but am wondering if this is John and Janet's daughter.

Offline robertalan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Dear Amy,
Have you found info about John Stewart and Janet THomson? I think I have finally cracked it. Some lady from one pof the family research societies did some research for me and she looked them up. John Stewart's father she believes was William. She also said that there was a John Stewart who lived in OLd Kilpatrick who appears to be William's father and all of the dates match up. When I did research in Scotland last year I was thinking that John's parents were William and Margaret based on the SCottish naming trations. I will send you the exact info I have tomorrow.
Bob

Offline robertalan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 March 14 07:43 GMT (UK) »
I have found the parents of Mary McArthur, they were John McArthur and Margaret Watts. I gave Alan the exact dates for birth and marriages. Bob

Offline aussie_mel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 September 16 06:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, I see your post was some time ago but I'm curious whether you know if the Margaret Stewart  b 1818 Stirling married Neil Charles McKinnon ?
Below is quoted from Daryl Povey's page on early settlers of Victoria's South West.
"Neil Charles McKINNON c1815-1875 & Margaret STUART c.1818-1878
Scotland, Tasmania, Digby & Dartmoor, Victoria; Penola, South Australia

Neil Charles McKINNON b. c. 1815, Isle of Skye, Inverness-shire, Scotland, son of ____ and ____ was married in 1838, Greenock, Scotland to Margaret STUART b. c.1818, Stirlingshire, Scotland, daughter of ____ and ____.

Neil & Margaret McKINNON were in Tasmania in the 1840s where some children were born prior to moving to "Merino Downs" and Hotspur in south-western Victoria where more children were born. Later they appear to have moved to south-east South Australia.

Neil Mckinnon died at Penola, South Australia in 1875 and his wife Margaret also died at Penola in 1878. "

Any light you could possibly share on Margaret Stewart and the family discussed would help me confirm or rule them out as ancestors in our tree. Thankyou! Kind regards, Mel  :)
Carter, Hallinan, Hawker, Farnham, Flack, Jenkins, Barr
Place, Atwell, Kelly, Sleep, McKinnon

Offline robertalan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 02:08 BST (UK) »
No, I don't think we have a Margaret Stewart born 1818 in the family tree but you can check one of my sites www.livingstoneresearch.wordpress.com where it has a lot of info about the Stewarts around that time.