Author Topic: Aberdeenshire Newspaper Clippings  (Read 31546 times)

Offline mathieson-lassie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Do and Hope
    • View Profile
Re: Aberdeenshire Newspaper Clippings
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirsty
               I was wondering if you had any mention of Mathieson or Watt or Duncan in your clippings or reminisences.  My mothers family came from Bridge street New Byth and Chapel street Turriff and also Rothiemay in Banff, maybe a long shot but thought i would give it a try.
                                                                  Karen
Mathieson, Watt, Forrest, Duncan,Simpson, Whyte, Rainy/Rannie, Greig, Thain, Smith, Mackay, Mcintosh, Nicol, Chrichton, Lyon, McWilliam-Rothiemay & Gamrie,Banff,Boyndie,Turriff & New Byth, Aberdeenshire.
Whitehead - Bromley,Chelsfield,Halstead,Kent
Midmer-Ticehurst,Sussex/Goudhurst,Kent
Olliver & Powell- Sussex
Arnold - Surrey

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

I definitely have information on Duncans as that is the line I am researching, the scrapbook was compiled by a Duncan! There are several Duncan families in the book, do you have any names in particular in which you are interested?

There was a Mathieson entry which I have already posted, and I seem to remember one mention of a Watt. I am not at home just now but will check for you when I get back and see if there is anything more.

Kirsty 
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline mathieson-lassie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Do and Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirsty
               I have Duncans on my mothers paternal and maternal side so i will try to give you a potted version......

Paternal side

John Mathieson of mill of Boyndie parish of Boyndie married on 12/5/1816 Ann Duncan daughter of James Duncan in Cairns of Gight Rothiemay I have the OPR record,
 they had four children the youngest being John Mathieson(16/4/1826-11/5/1915) he married Jessie Ann Smith(1823-27/9/1868)on 5/2/1848 in Gamrie Banff her parents were Walter Smith and Janet Duncan (no DOB).

John and Jessie had nine children all born at Ramsburn in Rothiemay, the second youngest being my grandfather William (29/7/1862-30/12/1943).

Maternal side

James Duncan (1819) married Mary Chrichton (1827) on 7/12/1848 in Auchterless
they had four children Jane 1849, James 1856, Elizabeth 1865 and Jessie 1869

James (farmer of 40 acres and blacksmith of blacksmiths house Bog Tamma) married Barbera Connon (1854) they had four children James Connon (1870), James Duncan (1872), Mary (1880) and Elspet (1991).

Jane Duncan (1849-7/3/1933) married James Watt (22/3/1845-23/1/1937) on 25/8/1877 in Auchterless, they had seven children, the second youngest being my grandmother Margaret (23/6/1889-15/11/1959)

William aged 65 a shepherd and Margaret aged 37 a housekeeper married on 14/7/1928 in Bridge street New Byth
My mother Margaret (9/1/1925-8/3/2005) was born at Bridge street.

I hope not too long and convoluted and keeping fingers crossed there may be a connection, the Mathieson entry from your earlier posting i didn't recognize but have kept a note ...just in case!
Thankyou for replying so quickly will wait patiently for maybe a next installment.
Karen
Mathieson, Watt, Forrest, Duncan,Simpson, Whyte, Rainy/Rannie, Greig, Thain, Smith, Mackay, Mcintosh, Nicol, Chrichton, Lyon, McWilliam-Rothiemay & Gamrie,Banff,Boyndie,Turriff & New Byth, Aberdeenshire.
Olliver & Powell- Sussex
Arnold - Surrey

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

There are a few scant references to various people, usually not enough to identify them from that alone eg The late Mr Duncan an official with whom the teacher at King Edward Mr Elphinstone had to deal... he had counted the late Mr Duncan amongst his warmest friends (this was written in 1922 on the teacher's retirement).

There are many paragraphs relating to Mr Patrick Duncan of Balchers. If this is one of yours I can try and transcribe it later, but if I don't need to just now it would make life easier. It is mostly in the form of recollections of occasions rather than facts, names and dates.

John Duncan of Fortrie passed away 1st November 1894, at the age of 78.
Mrs Duncan of Fortrie is still alive but very frail (in the 1920s ?)

William Duncan of Auchinbadie died on the 27th March 1894 aged 54/64 (it's at the bottom of the page and i can't read it all - i think it's 54)

Shoemakers list includes Duncan, Gorrachie ( my line)

In an excerpt from a letter, the author of which asked to be left anonymous he states:
"He was educated at Alvah School, his first teacher being Mr James Duncan."

"Nellie Duncan" of Crossfields who lived on the road from Cotburn to Turriff and had a horsie and a cow and ran a house shop. "She died about '81" (1881) Her son was "Geordie".

In relation to the Moss o' Byth in the 1840s and 50s: living on the "Back Strath" was a William Duncan, but due to the number of members of the Carsie family living there it was better known as "Carsie Brae".

March 31st 1894 The late Mr William Mathewson (Obituary type article) senior partner of Messrs James Mathewson and Son, Linen Manufacturers, Bothwell Works, Dumfermline.
chief mourners were: various family members ....and K. Mathieson jr.

No sign of any Watts I'm afraid. The reference i remembered was "Wattie".

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline mathieson-lassie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Do and Hope
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirsty,
                 Thankyou for looking, I don't recognise any of the names in your post but it has given me more avenues to research.  If perchance you find any refrences in the future to any of the names in my post please let me know as I have scant information apart from the usual BMD's. Sadly my mother had very little contact with her family from her teenage years and very rarely spoke about them, I think this is why I have got into research in a big way, I don't want to leave my children that legacy.
I think your postings are very eloquent and I for one am glad you decided to publish them on here.
Thankyou again
Karen
Olliver & Powell- Sussex
Arnold - Surrey

Offline jackolyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 10 January 10 03:47 GMT (UK) »
I have the book, Schoolmasters of Banffshire, sitting on my bookshelf. 
Barbara Lawrence
Hello Barbara...above is an excerpt of a reply you did on the above subject back in May of last year. I have an 1806 OPR marriage from Aberdeen. James Donald, Schoolmaster in Abd is marrying Charlotte McKinzie. The entry mentions she is the D (daughter) of the Dec'd (deceased) late John McKinzie, Schoolmaster in Parish of Alva.
If it is not too much trouble, can I please ask you to look up this John McKinzie in your book and tell me what you can about him? Thank you for any help you can provide.
Best wishes, Another Barbara - from Georgia, USA

Offline lawrenceb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 10 January 10 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I  checked the chapter on Alvah in " Schools and Schoolmasters of Banffshire".  Unfortunately for your purposes (prior to 1806), the first headmaster named is a Mr. Charles Begrie, who was headmaster for some years at the start of the 19th century.  The author states that education in Alvah is not mentioned in the Statistical Account.  Also in the section on Alvah is a brief section on Dunlugas and Linhead, both of which have mention of some lady teachers, but not of the name you are looking for.  In the section on Forglen, a schoolmaster named Mr. M'Killigan in 1785 is mentioned. No similar names in Marnoch. Have you come across any other part of Banffshire in any of your documents? 
Names in Alvah include:  Ruddiman, Chapman,  Andrew Todd,  Allan Rennie Andrew, Andrew , Mr. Alex Stuart Wilson, Rev James Duncan, Mr. Robert Hepburn, George Pirie, Mr. John Kidd
I will have a look in the Gamrie chapter and see if I can come up with anything about your ancestor.
Cumming: Woodside Aberdeen
Lawrence: Banffshire, Aberdeenshire, Newcastle upon Tyne

Offline jackolyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 10 January 10 23:07 GMT (UK) »
I  checked the chapter on Alvah in " Schools and Schoolmasters of Banffshire".   Have you come across any other part of Banffshire in any of your documents? 
Barbara, Thank you so much for going to the trouble to check on James McKenzie for me. No, I have not come across any other documents pointing to Banffshire. The couple I mentioned were married in St Nicholas, ABD with mention Charlotte McKenzie was the dau of James McKenzie, the Alva "schoolmaster". Charlotte married James Donald, also a schoolmaster, who eventually went to St Andrews, Elgin (Moray). James and Charlotte were my ggggrandparents and this is as far back as I go on them. I have Charlotte's will but only their children and a relative of James D is mentioned. Charlotte and James' dau Mgt ,my gggrandmother, married in Kintore, ABD.

Offline jackolyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 11 January 10 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you come across any other part of Banffshire in any of your documents? 

My 2nd reply. I should have added the following just in case it helps. I have not connected by proof but the data fits.
A Charlotte MacKenzie was baptized 03 Jul 1785 Muiryhill Alvah Banff to James MacKenzie and Margaret MacIntosh.  No mention of James' occupation. The IGI shows Margaret MacIntosh married to James McKenzie 08 Apr 1784 in Kirktown of Alvah, Banff.  So..there was a James McKenzie in Alvah Banff, just not known if he is "mine" or not. Thanks again.
-Barbara