Author Topic: Aberdeenshire Newspaper Clippings  (Read 31540 times)

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Aberdeenshire Newspaper Clippings
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kirsty,

Thank you very much for looking...I don't recognise the names but some of them might tie in with my family somehow so I'll keep a note of them just in case  :) They may well do once I've done further research.

Thanks
Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline rochbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 March 08 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Any Cowie entries in the area would be appreciated. thanks

Jane

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 March 08 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,

There are a couple of references to the name COWIE in my scrapbook.

August 11th 1898
"At Limehills, Winton, Southland, New Zealand, after a short illness, on the 11th August, ALEXANDER COWIE, aged 52, eldest son of James Cowie, Easterbo , King Edward"

In an article "Honour to Teachers. Mr James Elphinstine, King Edward" there is a reference to  "a distinguished graduate of their own University, Dr Cowie, now practicing in London" (presumably University of Aberdeen) when listing the Inspectors of Schools by which Mr Elphinstone had been visited during his 36 years of teaching. Given the context I believe this would have been at "the school of Fintry", prior to his moving to King Edward in 1900.

Another article "Selections from Correspondence"  tells of family and friends
"I referred to the Ellis family, and have received several inquiries regarding them. Unconsciously, a sister, Jessie, who lives in Turriff, has come to my aid, so will inquirers please note. She writes- "My father is still alive and lives with JOHN COWIE, late of Kinminity, on a dairy farm near Udny station..."
..."Of the COWIES, Sandy is in the farm, John is in Edinburgh, George is a traveller in Aberdeen, Willie is a chemist in London, and Peter, also a chemist, died some years ago."

and another " In the Cotburn District"
"Kinminity, a fine farm, lay a little towards Cotburn from the Turriff Road. Mr Peter COWIE was farmer then, a douce, decent sample of an upland farmer. With some of his family I was at school. There were Alexander, Johnnie, Peter, and, I think, Jamie, with others whose names have slipped me. John I last saw in Aberdeen in 1888, when ????? ???? we 'raked' the emb???? for an hour we ??? the embers of school life ploys. Several times I have been told that a certain famous actress hails from Kinminity. Will any reader give confirmatory information?"

(There are some words only partly visible at the bottom and top of the columns where they were cut out of the paper)

I hope this is of some help.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline rochbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 March 08 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Kirsty,

What a treasure trove of info.

not sure if will help, but very interesting just the same.

thanks again

jane

Offline asgard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 July 08 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Kirsty,

In your note of 10 March, you mention Scorgie - can you tell me what information you might have about them please. Also - anything on Kelman or Sangster - or Lawrence? They would have been from the Gamrie and Turriff areas.

Thanks

David
Raitt, Purvis, Scorgie, Kelman, Sangster, Meikison, Crabb, Dorward, Lindsay

Turriff, Gamrie, Arbroath, Kirriemuir

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 July 08 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi David

I don't have much time today to spend going throught the book so i will try and find time as soon as i can this week. Briefly though, I can tell you that James Lawrence was the author of a good many articles in the "Banffshire Journal" or "Banffy"as it was known during the 1920s. He grew up in the area of the north which was at one time Bannfshire and another Aberdeenshire ( I believe the boundaies were changed in the 1890s). In adulthood he moved south to reside in Newcastle upon Tyne. There may be refences in some articles to more information about his family, i will have a look.

There are refences to 2 brothers - "Captain Lawrence of the Queen's Surreys, who fell in France", and "another brother, one time Instructor at Keith, the first served well over 20 years in the gordons, seeing much service in India, Africa and elsewhere. The other, Peter, retired as sergeant some twenty years ago, and is now in Aberdeen. He was stationed at, I think, Keith, Aberchirder, and Kildrummy, as a volunteer instructor."

Under "Selections from Correspondence" a letter by Jessie ?? is quoted.
"Of the Scorgies she writes - " The mother and daughter Jane died at Cotburn, Isa lives in Turriff and Sally at Mountblairy, while George ( he of the hard hands) carries on the little farm."

"In the Cotburn District" is another mention, but i'm afraid i shall have to leave that for later.

Kirsty

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 July 08 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi again David,

"In the Cotburn District" After reminiscing about the Ellis family he goes on:

"Scorgie's "plaicie" was - and is- nearby. There were Jane, and Sally, and Geordie, near to my own age, with others I did not know. Geordie was a big strong boy, and we smaller fellows envied him his great hard hands when it came to a matter of "pandies" from the schoolmaster. I called and saw him some years ago, and he was just the same hearty chap."

James Lawrence lived at 387 Shields Road, Newcastle-on-Tyne.
There is also a mention of "the Lawrences of Scatterty" in a list of people remembered from School days (1870-80s).

I have not found any refence to Kelman or Sangster, but if i come across anything i will post it here. (Having just looked at the IGI I am guessing that Geordie was the son of a Kelman and a Scorgie - so in effect I have although she was not mentioned by name :))

Kirsty

Offline asgard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 July 08 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Kirsty. According to my records James Scorgie and Isobel Sangster (who died Hill of Cotburn in 1873) had at least one son called Alexander (b Gamrie 1820) who married Isabella Kelman in 1843. They had
quite a few kids - one of whom was called George (b 1863 - also one born 1869) and another called Jane (b 1866). These might be the ones you mention. Isa might be either the Isabella Kelman (or even Isobel Sangster) mentioned above or her daughter Isabella (b 1854). Geordie I suppose is George. I don't have any mention of a Sally.

Another of their sons was Alexander Scorgie (b 1848 in Easter Bonnyton) - he moved down to St Vigeans, married Anne Smith and had my paternal grandmother!

Anyway - thanks for your help - I know what it's like to come across these old clippings and things. Two of my great grandfather's brothers (Raitt) emigrated to the USA in the mid-1850s and I recently came across my American cousins and they sent me some newspaper clippings and a journal one of them wrote about the arrival in the new land!

Regards

David
Raitt, Purvis, Scorgie, Kelman, Sangster, Meikison, Crabb, Dorward, Lindsay

Turriff, Gamrie, Arbroath, Kirriemuir

Offline lawrenceb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 31 May 09 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am fascinated by your posts.  The James Lawrence you mention is my greatuncle, one of my grandfather's older brothers.  I have the book, Schoolmasters of Banffshire, sitting on my bookshelf.  This afternoon I googled "Lawrence family Aberdeenshire" while having a coffee, and stumbled upon your posts.  My granda was born in Upper Cotburn, and his older brother in Scattery.  I would be most interested in chatting with you. 
Barbara Lawrence
Cumming: Woodside Aberdeen
Lawrence: Banffshire, Aberdeenshire, Newcastle upon Tyne