Author Topic: North surrey industrial school anerley. KNIGHT  (Read 3838 times)

Offline Florenceknight

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
North surrey industrial school anerley. KNIGHT
« on: Wednesday 30 July 14 23:14 BST (UK) »
I am researching my grandmother and her brother, Florence and George KNIGHT. They were orphans and spent some time in swaffield road workhouse before being sent to anerley school in 1907. I have been researching them on Ancestry but cannot find any records of their time there.  Florence went into service and I have found her age 16 (probably her second position) in the 1911 census but I know she left anerley when she was 14 and experienced some problems.  A lady from MABYS helped her, but I do not know how to find any of their records. George went into the army as a bandsman and served in the Royal Sussex Regiment during WW1. Any help with anerley school records or servant registers would be wonderful.   NB I have seen the photographs of children at the school in 1907 on the www.workhouses website.

Offline everlea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: North surrey industrial school anerley. KNIGHT
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 July 14 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi - I see Anerley school records are held at the National Archives - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Everlea.

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 July 14 16:51 BST (UK) »
For a general overview, there is a book: "Short History of the North Surrey District School." Compiled by John Frederick Thrower with the assistance of Hubert Curtis. With illustrations, including portraits. 1 Jan 1909. It does, indeed, have a large number of photographs, but no lists of children. It's long out of print and very rare and expensive — I just missed a copy which went for about £60 on Amazon 5 years ago, and they haven't had one since. You might be able to borrow it on an inter-library loan. If you are nearby, Bromley Local Studies has a photocopy, their original having been stolen.

It won't help the OP, but maybe for anyone else coming across this thread: I have a partial list of staff compiled from directories and electoral rolls, mainly from 1900 until it closed in 1937, and ERs listing inmates from its post-WW2 use as an old people's home, Orchard Lodge.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Florenceknight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 July 14 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your help.  I will look up the details on the archive and perhaps I can travel up in the winter.  We live in Devon and so it is not easy just to pop in to the archive.  I am just hoping more get transcribed on to Ancestry this year. 

Offline tutor7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 September 15 14:38 BST (UK) »
I am brand new to rootschat.

Hi Chris Doran, you say you have records of staff at North Surrey District School.
"I have a partial list of staff compiled from directories and electoral rolls, mainly from 1900 until it closed in 1937"

I have tried to send a personal message to you but it comes up as error.
Please could you explain how to contact you with my ancestor's details.
Thank you very much.