Author Topic: Whitechurch, New Ross / Cleary & Doyle  (Read 25289 times)

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whitechurch, New Ross / Cleary & Doyle
« on: Wednesday 03 April 13 17:26 BST (UK) »
I've been on the search for my Cleary family from Whitechurch, New Ross, Co. Wexford.  I recently got into contact with some distant relatives who we all share the same great great great grandparents, Patrick Cleary (died 1907) in Whitechurch and Elizabeth Mary Cleary (nee Doyle) died (1941).  I have her obituary where it lists that she came from a very popular well known family.  My great grandfather, Pierce Francis Cleary (1892-1963) and his sister Marcella Hanlon (Cleary) seem to be the only siblings that came to the Chicago.  Pierce moved back to Ireland once his wife, Helena passed away (1960).  He also remarried a Margaret before he moved to Ireland.  Everyone else (Simon, Willie, Phillip, Helena (Lena) stayed in Wexford.   I found a 1933 wedding picture of Willie and his wife Bridget online, but nothing else.

I know Helena Cleary married Myles Roban of Enniscorthy.   I would love to find more information on Patrick and Elizabeth Cleary! 

Brittany

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Whitechurch, New Ross / Cleary & Doyle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 April 13 14:48 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any contact information on how I can go about getting records from a church or cemetary?  It is believed that most of my family are buried at Whitechurch Cemetary, and most of the masses were held at Ballykelly Church.

I've come to a huge road block on my Great Grandfather's side.  I know there are still cousins that live in Ireland as most of the family never came over to the U.S.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 April 13 14:56 BST (UK) »
Availability of burial records depends on the denomination and individual church. Few RC parishes kept death/burials in the registers in the 19th century. If headstones still exists for the plots these can sometimes give useful details, but there's no centralized web-site that covers these. I'll have a quick search and see if any photos or memorial inscriptions for Whitechurch are online anywhere..

A number of Co. Wexford parish records are available on microfilm from LDS. You can usually order these through one of their Family History centres. The pay-website at RootsIreland is adding transcripts of Co. Wexford parish record, but only have about 4 parishes so far - none for New Ross area that I know of.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 April 13 15:04 BST (UK) »
Is this your Cleary family on the 1911 census return ?

Cleary household, Whitechurch townland

All born Co. Wexford, Elizabeth is listed as age 46 (c1865) and a widow. If her age is accurate then her birth might just have made the start of civil records, which means there may be a birth cert...

First step though would be the marriage of Elizabeth and Patrick to establish their father's names and where they were living at the time.

Have you located Patrick and Elizabeth on the 1901 census return already ?

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 April 13 15:07 BST (UK) »
seems to be the same family in 1901 - same townland as 1911, Elizabeth listed as married, but no sign of husband Patrick at home... :

Cleary household - 1901

My Surname Interests

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 April 13 17:06 BST (UK) »
Yes that is my family!  I actually have the obituary of Elizabeth Cleary and Mass Cards for William Cleary, Elizabeth Cleary, Patrick Cleary (died in 1907) and James Cleary (died in 1974).  I do believe James is the son of Walter Cleary, but I'm not sure. 

I can't find a marriage record for Patrick and Elizabeth Cleary.  Their first child was Mary in 1880, so I can only assume they got married in 1879-1880. 

They also listed two other boys in 1901 and 1911.  Patrick and James.  I can only assume they died because no obituaries list these brothers.   Pierce and Marcella are the only two siblings that came to the USA.  Everyone else stayed in Whitechurch or Enniscorthy.

Phillip Cleary married Ciss Keane/Kane from Moneytucker (but I have no idea what Ciss stands for) nor can I find any marriage records.  They resided in Whitechurch and their family home burnt down in 1942 (i found it online).  They took in Mary Molloy (nee Cleary) son, Patrick, who died in the fire.

Walter Cleary maried Mary Doyle.  I do believe they had a bunch of children as I found birth records for 11 children with the last name Cleary, and mom's maiden name Doyle in New Ross from 1929-1944.  But I dont know if its their kids.

Simon Cleary, no idea on anything on him (born in 1897).

Lena Cleary married Myles Roban of Enniscorthy. 

Elizabeth Cleary's obituary said they were a very popular and well known family.  They had servants and maids listed on the census records.  but I can't find anything more. 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 April 13 17:31 BST (UK) »
I had a quick look for a possible marriage on the BMD Index, but didn't find anything promising so far... Doyle is a very common surname which can be a problem.

The Church and graveyard in Whitechurch townland are Church of Ireland.

Whitechurch townland was in the the RC parish of Suttons, and the parish church was at Ballykelly as you mentioned. There is currently a graveyard behind the church, but it doesn't appear to be that old - no sign of it on c1900 maps..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 April 13 17:41 BST (UK) »
Here is Elizabeth Cleary's obituary from 1942:

The death occurred at her residence, Whitechurch, New Ross on Sunday, 2nd inst., of Mrs. Elizabeth Cleary, relict (??) of the late Patrick Cleary, an extensive farmer, well known in public and sporting life, and a member of widely connected and very popular family.  The deceased, who posessed many intellectual gifts, was connected with well know families in the counties of Wexford and Kilkenny.  She was sister-in-law of the late Right Rev. Monsingor (sp?) Cleary, P.P. of Petaluma, California who returned to his native place near Raheen, Adamstown some twenty -five years ago where he died.  She was also a cousin of Rev. J. Meaney C.C. Kilkenny.  Many members of the families of both herself and her husband have been well known in the public, professional and commercial life.  She was held in great esteem by all classes and creeds.  She passed away after receiving the last rites of Holy Church with exemplary resignation and religious fervour.  Her family have been the recipients of the deepest sympathy.  The funeral to Whitechurch Cemetary on Tuesday after Office and High Mass in Ballykelly Church was attended by a huge gathering of people from the New Ross, Ennniscorthy, Wexford and Kilkenny districts.
The chief mourners were - Mssrs. Walter, Simon, Willie and Philip Cleary (sons), Mrs. L. Roban, Enniscorthy (daughter), Mrs P. Cleary, Whitechurs; Mrs. W. Cleary, do; Mrs. W Cleary, Killesk (daughters-in-law), Mr. Myles Roban, Enniscorthy (son-in-law), Master Patk. Molloy and Niss Nannie Molloy (grandchildren), Mrs W. J. Rochem, Royal Hotel, New Ross and Mr. Wm. J Roche, do; Mr. Patrick Cleary, Ballyanne (niece and nephews); Rev. J Meaney, CC Kilkenny; Miss B. Meaney, C.C. Kilkenny; Miss B. Meaney, Ballilogue; Messrs Patric James and Con Meaney, do; Robert Barron, postmaster, Campile and ?? Barron, do.

I can only assume that "do" after each person's name, means "ditto"?  I've been able to depict some of the relatives.  I tried searching for Patrick's brother who was the Monsingor, but no luck on the first name. 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 April 13 17:50 BST (UK) »
....The funeral to Whitechurch Cemetary on Tuesday after Office and High Mass in Ballykelly Church
I can only assume that "do" after each person's name, means "ditto"? 

yes to do. = ditto

The sound like the Church of Ireland graveyard was used, even though your Clearys were RC. If was common to share graveyards, especially older ones. Unfortunately this means there may not be nothing included in the church records, as they usually online include those for thier own denomination - i.e. Church of Ireland.

As well as Whitechurch being the name of the townland your Clearys lived it also the name of the civil and Church of Ireland parish for the area. The Church of Ireland parish church was often located in a townland with the same name as the parish - as in this case.

Ballykelly townland is immediately north of Whitechurch townland.

My Surname Interests