Author Topic: Hertfordshire Key words  (Read 11191 times)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Hertfordshire Key words
« on: Tuesday 13 July 04 11:33 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of my 6x grandfathers will. He lived in Colney Hatch, Middx, but left an enormous amount of property in his will. I  thought I'd list some key words from the will, with the hope that someone might recognise some of them. If anyone recognises any names, I can send you a bit more information. If anyone can give me a bit more info about the place names, I'd be most grateful.
  • Rose Neale, Henry Neale
    Ware & Thundridge, County of Hertford (especially a malting house)
    Thomas Adams
    Thomas Stratton
    Coltsfoot Farm
    Lowes Wood, Bulls Wood
    Thomas Page
    Datchworth (?) & Welwyn, Herts.
    Thomas & Sarah Sheppard
    Mary & Cornelius Buller (later governor of the Bank of England)
    John Waite Esq the Younger
    Rev William Money
    John Scott
    Henry Thornton
    Robert Smith (Attorney at Law), Bowinghale
    Stuart Gordon
    William Cade Key
    Robert Booth
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Hertfordshire Key words
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi D ap D,The following site will give you lot's of info about Herfordshire, and surrounding district. Good Luck, Dolly.www. hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 July 04 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link Dolly. I've had a quick look, but will look at it properly this evening.

D
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline heywyre

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 July 04 05:27 BST (UK) »
I don't know if there is any connection but my paternal grandfather (ADAMS) married a RIDDLE whose father, Joseph RIDDLE was a bargeman/lighterman out of Ware, Hertfordshire.  From what I can figure out so far, he was carrying malt

I know this is a long shot, but perhaps he was carrying it from the malting house you mention

Judy
BC Canada

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 July 04 11:48 BST (UK) »
I should really have mentioned that the will was made in 1808 and proved 8th July 1815. Its going back 6 generations from me, so its probably a bit before your pat. grandfathers time.

However, I'll dig out the Adams extracts and send them on. Adams was the name of my 6x gfs paternal grandfather. If you can work that one out.

D
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

Offline ronniem

• RootsChat Extra
  • BOXALL Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 January 05 04:20 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of my 6x grandfathers will. He lived in Colney Hatch, Middx, but left an enormous amount of property in his will. I  thought I'd list some key words from the will, with the hope that someone might recognise some of them. If anyone recognises any names, I can send you a bit more information. If anyone can give me a bit more info about the place names, I'd be most grateful.
  • <snip>
    Rev William Money
    <snip>

Do you have more information on this William Money?

Kindest regards
Ronnie
BOXALL One Name Study
I'm also researching my own line.
CARPENTER (Petersfield, Hampshire)
PITTS;  RICHARDS;  TARGETT; LANE; FALLA;

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 January 05 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi ronnie,

yes I do, but not a great deal, as he only married into the family. I'll dig out what I can find at the weekend and let you know.

D
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

Offline felizarda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 February 05 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Henry Thornton and John Scott were two of the owners of the bank of Pole, Down, Thornton, Free and Scott (see Royal Bank of Scotland archives), where Pole was my 4th great grandfather Sir Peter Pole. He was married to Cornelius Buller's sister, Anna Guilhermina Buller, and another sister Felizarda Matilda Buller was married to Sir Peter's brother Charles Pole (another Governor of the Bank of England). For more information about Henry Thornton, read "Marianna Thornton" by EM Forster.

Bull's Land farm was owned by another of my ancestors, Richard Taylor (but thats all I know about him).
would be most interested in contacting as I suspect there is much more in common between our ancestors! To contact, suggest you join http://www.genesconnected.co.uk/  and then Felizarda Buller

Offline felizarda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 February 05 17:56 GMT (UK) »
forgot to mention that Rose Neale was married to Richard Down, one of the partners of the forementioned Pole, Down, Thornton, Free and Scott bankers, and her father was Henry Neale. They had at least three children, and Mary Down was married to Cornelius Buller!