Author Topic: George Robertson Banff  (Read 4668 times)

Offline bob galloway

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Robertson Banff
« on: Thursday 09 April 09 13:46 BST (UK) »
Looking for parents of George Robertson b. Jan.21st 1796 in Banffshire.
George married Margaret Wilson 0ct 17th 1818 in Fordyce.
They had six children:-
George b.1822;James b.1826;William b 1830;Peter b.1835;Francis b.1836 and Madaline b.1843.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BobG.
Galloway family originating Ayrshire then Lochmaben Dumfrieshire but also in Dumfries,Saltcoats,Ayrshire.Other Dumfriesshire surnames of Richardson,Clarke,Carlyle McIlwraith.Laidlaw from Crawford.Robertson and Taylor ,Buchan originating Banff and Peterhead and Fraserburgh.Ayrshire names of Keegans,Goudie and Galt.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: George Robertson Banff
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 April 09 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

If you are certain on the dates for George's birth, there is an actual extract from the Old Parish Registers showing on IGI at www.familysearch.org which has:

GEORGE ROBERTSON  Birth:19 JAN 1796/  Christening: 21 JAN 1796  Banff, Banff
Parents:PETER ROBERTSON and ISOBAL STEWART

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 April 09 16:06 BST (UK) »
Bob

If you go to familysearch on the link above, and click on the International Genealogical Index search screen. You can do what is referred to as a 'parent search'. Simply, put in parents' full names on the r/h side and then Great Britain/Scotland/Banff and you will see a list of children (siblings to George) for Peter and Isabel. There is also a marriage showing for parents in 1790 in Banff.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 April 09 16:18 BST (UK) »
Possible 1841 census entry for parents with a daughter Bathia who shows on IGI as born in 1808:

Peter Robertson 85, Staymaker, b. Scotland
Isabel Robertson 63, b. Scotland
Bathia Robertson 33
Mary Robertson 5

Address: High Street Banff

Monica

Offline bob galloway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 April 09 10:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Monica for useful info and better insight into using the IGI.Regrds Bob G.
Galloway family originating Ayrshire then Lochmaben Dumfrieshire but also in Dumfries,Saltcoats,Ayrshire.Other Dumfriesshire surnames of Richardson,Clarke,Carlyle McIlwraith.Laidlaw from Crawford.Robertson and Taylor ,Buchan originating Banff and Peterhead and Fraserburgh.Ayrshire names of Keegans,Goudie and Galt.

Offline brian_rogers

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 September 13 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hey there Bob,

I was doing some research on my Great Great Grandmother from Banff in Scotland and I see her listed in the 1841 Census as the 5 year old daughter of Peter Robertson (Staymaker) and Isabel Robertson.  I had previously not been aware of who her parents were.  Mary Robertson died in childbirth in Goodna (Brisbane) Australia in the early 1900's.  Mary had married William Donald from Fifeshire in Glasgow approximately 12 or 18 days before they hopped on a boat and emigrated to Queensland Australia.  William Donald was a police officer in Glasgow and then was employed as a warden at a mental health institution in Queensland.  I know some more about the family if you are interested.  I am not sure about the relationship between Peter Robertson (born 1756) and George Robertson and how that works.  I hope that this is of some interest.

Brian