Author Topic: Reaich of Buckie, Banffshire  (Read 6151 times)

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reaich of Buckie, Banffshire
« on: Sunday 06 July 14 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm trying to find out the whereabouts of my relative, Joseph Reaich. He was born on 13th December 1898 at 28 Gordon Street to Joseph Reaich and Margaret Jappy. He had a brother, William Reaich, who died aged 4 months and his father remarried to Catherine Jane Sinclair. He had half-sisters Maggie Bella of Buckie, Catherine of Grimsby, Williamina of Buckie and a half-brother John who died at a few months old. I thought that he may have moved near to Catherine Smith but I couldn't find him.

I was able to find him in the 1901 census; I haven't checked the 1911 census although I did search for deaths in Scotland and I was unable to find anything. I've also checked under the variations (Riach, Reoch, Reach etc.), and I still found nothing, so I'm going to assume that he maybe emigrated.

I haven't found anything on ancestry so I don't think he died down in England. I thought with a name like Reaich it'd be relatively easy to find records seeing as it's not such a common name, yet this person has confused me as I have found nothing on him aside from his birth.

If anyone could offer a hand with this one, it would be greatly appreciated

Greg

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reaich of Buckie, Banffshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 July 14 12:49 BST (UK) »
Where did you find him in 1901?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 July 14 13:14 BST (UK) »
He was living with his mother Margaret and father Joseph in Buckie. I'm assuming he grew up there and then left.

Greg

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 July 14 13:27 BST (UK) »
Maybe you should try the 1911 census records for Joseph before you go any further to see where he is ....have you searched Military records and immigration on Ancestry

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 July 14 13:38 BST (UK) »
What was the census reference and name spelling in 1901? When I search on Joseph Reaich in Buckie all I get is a 30 year old widower.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 July 14 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

That's the father of Joseph Reaich (1898) - his mother died in February 1901. I do remember checking this entry and I'm sure he was living with his son Joseph. I'll be going through to the Register House in the next day or so, I'll make sure I check the 1911 census record and get back to you with it.

I'll also take your advice and double check any military records

Thank you

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 July 14 14:06 BST (UK) »
Greg don't know where you live but if you are nearer Glasgow.... Mitchell Library have a Scotlands People search room same idea of Register House in Edinburgh good luck any how  :)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 July 14 14:36 BST (UK) »
Now I have lost the plot Greg. I thought you said that Joseph 1898 was living with his parents in 1901. If the widower Joseph that I have found is his father then they are not together in 1901. The household consists of:

John Reaich, head, 1866
Mary Reaich, wife, 1869
Mary Reaich, daughter, 1899
Joseph Reaich, brother, widower, 1871
William Jappy, brother-in-law, 1880

Do you have another location for Joseph 1898 in the 1901 census?

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 July 14 14:51 BST (UK) »
If you give us the birth years for the half sisters it may help us to understand where the family were when. Since Joseph senior was a fisherman I suppose that explains why they were in Grimsby at one point.

The date of the second marriage would also help us to understand the family dynamics and make suggestions as to where to look.

Probably also a good idea to check whether Joseph may have gone to live with Jappy grandparents or uncles or aunts after his Dad remarried.