Author Topic: Wedding of William Lord and Margaret Meany - Waterford 1858  (Read 13792 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wedding of William Lord and Margaret Meany - Waterford 1858
« on: Thursday 12 April 12 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've been looking into my family history for a few months and just about every branch has come to a halt or has something missing!

One of the missing items is the marriage of my gg grandfather William Lord, born in Moulsham, near Chelmsford, in Essex in 1837. I've found him in the 1841 and 1851 census (in Essex), can't find him in 1861 but in 1871 he's in Bedminster (Bristol), married to Margaret, born in Ireland around 1840. I thought I'd struggle to get further on that but in 1891 Edward Cleary, listed as William's brother-in-law, is living with the family, so great, Cleary must be Margaret's maiden name. In 1911 her birthplace is given as Greenvale (which I can't find), County Kilkenny. And they'd been married for 52 years. Typically this makes their marriage in 1858, just around the time when I can't find them. As their first child, my great g'father, was born in Essex in 1859 I was expecting a wedding in Essex (I'd assumed that Margaret was living there). They were in Bedminster by 1862 when the 2nd child was born. Even with all this info I still couldn't find a wedding or the 1861 census entry. 

So I looked on familysearch and found a wedding which, apart from Margaret's maiden name, could well be theirs.
10 July 1858, Waterford
Groom: William Lord; Birth: 1837; Age:21; Father: John Lord
Bride: Margaret Meany; Birth: 1839; Age 19; Father: Edward Meany
The groom's info is a perfect match (birthplace is blank), and Margaret's age looks good too. But obviously her surname was not what I was expecting. But I then checked the 1891 census and the surname is Meany not Cleary ???. So I've answered my own question while posting this! ::)

Is it possible though? Given their ages and the distances involved, how/where did they met (Essex/Ireland)? How easy was it to travel from Ireland to Essex and back again? Would someone from County Kilkenny get married in Waterford? Presumably they lived in Ireland for a few years which explains the missing census in 1861. Not expecting answers but comments welcome...  ;D And any hints on how I can find out about Margaret's mother?
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding of William Lord and Margaret Meany - Waterford 1858
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 12 08:20 BST (UK) »
That marriage you found is an extract of a civil marriage - you can use the details to locate the BMD index record, which in turn will give you the references required to order a cert. The fact that it's registered before 1864 means that it must be a non Catholic marriage.

Name: William Lord
  Registration district: Waterford
  Event type: Marriage
  Quarter and year: 1858
  Volume: 10 / Page: 5

A matching entry is listed for a Margaret Meany.

A cert will show some further details like current residences for the bride and groom, occupations, names of witnesses etc which should help the search for earlier details..

see :  Introduction to Irish Records
         Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
         Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 12 08:33 BST (UK) »
In 1911 her birthplace is given as Greenvale (which I can't find), County Kilkenny. And they'd been married for 52 years. Typically this makes their marriage in 1858, just around the time when I can't find them.

There's a townland in Co. Kilkenny named Greenville, that might fit ...It's close to Kilmacow town and only about 8km north west of Waterford City. See :

Waterford city - Kilmacow town - Greenville townland  (Google maps)

Greeenville, townland (c1830 OSI Map)

re the marriage - the Waterford registration district extends north into parts of Co. Kilkenny....

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 April 12 17:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane,

I've found Greenville on your map thanks, could well be the place (only Greenvale I could find is in New York).

Maybe they were married in Greenville, or close, rather than Waterford itself. Will add the certificate to my list of ones to buy!

I have to admit I'd assumed it would have been a Catholic wedding; most of the family from then on appear to have been Catholics.

Thanks again for the info, much appreciated,

Deirdre   
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 January 13 20:17 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a copy of the marriage certificate and could do with some help if possible please, as some of the writing is unclear....

- The residence looks like Greenvale, not Greenville - is (was) there anywhere else it might be?;
- I can't read her father's occupation (thought initially it might be headmaster, but not sure now); and
- I can't understand the bit between 'Married in the Registrar's office according to the provisions of the....' and '...by licence'.

And Margaret is a schoolmaster who can't sign her name!

Grateful for any help, thanks.

Deirdre

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 January 13 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Full certs are not allowed, so I've edited the image to show the sections of interest.

Occupation looks like Schoolmaster to me, and residences 'Greenvale, in the Co. of Kilkenny', probably just a variation in spelling or mishearing for the townland we mentioned earlier.

The additional wording about the marriage relates to the act of parliament which covered marriages by license
My Surname Interests

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 January 13 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Full certs are not allowed, so I've edited the image to show the sections of interest.

Occupation looks like Schoolmaster to me, and residences 'Greenvale, in the Co. of Kilkenny', probably just a variation in spelling or mishearing for the townland we mentioned earlier.

The additional wording about the marriage relates to the act of parliament which covered marriages by license

Hi Shane,

I had cropped the cert but posted the full version by mistake, sorry.

It's her father's occupation I can't make out.. have added another jpeg

Deirdre

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 January 13 20:50 GMT (UK) »
added in the image of the fathers occupations...  the scan is quite low resolution and cant quite make out the first part of Edward occupation, but the 2nd part looks like Dead, or Decd. (Deceased)

sorry - we crossed posts there as I was adding the occupations!
My Surname Interests

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 January 13 20:59 GMT (UK) »
added in the image of the fathers occupations...  the scan is quite low resolution and cant quite make out the first part of Edward occupation, but the 2nd part looks like Dead, or Decd. (Deceased)

Have tried another copy of the father's occupations; I agree it looks like 'Dead' underneath; could it be wool.........