Author Topic: BIRMINGHAM family in Tuam-Galway-Ireland  (Read 45119 times)

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BIRMINGHAM family in Tuam-Galway-Ireland
« on: Wednesday 04 February 09 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for any help or info on my Great Grandmother.

Her name was Mary Ann Birmingham c1870??? Her Mum and Dad where called Peter & Bridget Birmingham Her mothers maiden name was Corless.
They moved to England but i am unsure of the year?

My Great Grandmother Married John Hodgkiss c1870 In Lancashire,England and lived at Kent St Farnworth in Lancashire.

Any info then please reply.

Many thanks

Hodgkiss77

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BIRMINGHAM family in Tuam-Galway-Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Could you clarify approx. birthdate for Mary Ann Birmingham? was she born c1870 or married c1870? the dates  will make a big difference to what information might be available (and also the family's religion please)

Three of the children of Peter Birmingham and Bridget Corless are listed in IGI  (see www.familysearch.org for details by doing parent search).

Youn might be able to narrow down the date hey arrived in England by birthplaces of the children and the family's appearance in English census records but records weren't kept of people travelling between Ireland and the rest of the U.K.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi tks for the reply
Mary ann birmingham was born around c1870?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 20:00 GMT (UK) »
from Slater's commercial directory of 1870 - Nobility, Gentry & Clergy section

John Bermingham, Esq. J.P. Millbrook, Tuam

I'm not sure what the J.P. stands for..

there are a few Bermingham references around Co. Galway - Galway city, Loughrea, Dunmore & Gort

they seem to derive from '..the Berminghams, barons of Athenry'
The directory entry for Dunmore mentions 'Bermingham Castle, a beautiful ruin, once the seat of that ancient family'. Dunmore is described as 9 miles NE of Tuam

the only entry I see with the 'i' spelling of the surname in Co. Galway is a Grocer in Main st, Loughrea named Redmond Birmingham. he's also listed under the Ironmongers and Hardwaremen section.

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello there!

Many thanks for your reply.

Here is the Information I have on My Great Grandmother...........

Mary Ann Birmingham Born 27/09/1865.
She had the following Siblings:Michael c1862,John c1868,Catherine c1876 All where Born in Tuam-Galway,Ireland Except for Catherine-she was born In Farnworth In Lancashire-Uk.

Their parents were: Peter Birmingham c1839 & Bridget Corless c1839 Of Tuam-Galway,Ireland.

They all left Tuam for England in i believe to be the 1860'/70's.

Any info on the above people would be most grateful...Ie: Marriage,Birth,Death or ancestors of them?

Regards

Hodgkiss77

My Great Grandmother Mary Ann went on to Marry John Hodgkiss in 1885 in Farnworth-Lancashire,England.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 21:10 GMT (UK) »
You can order birth certificates for any of the children born in Ireland after 1864 but there are no birth certificates before that date so for earlier information you need to search for church records (if they exist).
www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

Also, civil registration of Catholic marriages began in 1864 so for the parents' marriage it's again a matter of hoping to find church records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 22:21 GMT (UK) »
... parents were: Peter Birmingham c1839 & Bridget Corless c1839 Of Tuam-Galway,Ireland.

They all left Tuam for England in i believe to be the 1860'/70's.

Any info on the above people would be most grateful...Ie: Marriage,Birth,Death or ancestors of them?

The Irish Family History Foundation website includes data for Co. Galway - see www.irish-roots.ie  They have parish record transcripts,  which cost 5 euro each to view. The index is free to search once you register.

I dont see any Corless surnames in Tuam around that time but these commercial  directories only include gentry,business and trades-people, also  the 1870 edition does not include many farmers. The families you are interested in may all have left before this edition was compiled.

I have a bit of a gap in the data I have before this timeframe but I'll see if there are other Bermingham/Birmingham or Corless entries in other directories.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Surname BIRMINGHAM/BERMINGHAM and CORLESS in Tuam Co.Galway
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 February 09 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Can anybody help me?

I am trying to trace ancestors,Info,Family connections on the following people....(I have spelt their Surname in Two ways as these are the ways of spelling the name)

Mary Birmingham/Bermingham Born Agloragh,Tuam Co.Galway '24th September 1865' (My Great Grandmother )

Her Father was: Peter Birmingham/Bermingham c1835?Tuam?
Her Mother was: Bridget Birmingham/Bermingham c1837? Tuam?

Peter & Bridget Where Married ''21st Febuary 1859'' Co.Galway ( Church Marriage) Religion-Roman Catholic's

Se had the Following Siblings that i am aware of:Michael c1862 (Born in Tuam ),John c1868 (Born in Tuam ) & Catherine c1876 ( Born in England )

The family Moved to England in the 1860's/70's to Settle In Lancashire.
I would love to try and trace Both of Mary's Parents Births and then i can work my way back with the family?

If anybody can help with anything at all then please do reply as i feel i am banging my head against a brick wall with trying to seek info on the Birmingham/Bermingham's!!

Thank you

Hodgkiss77

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SURNAME BIRMINGHAM/BERMINGHAM AND CORLESS IN TUAM CO.GALWAY
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 February 09 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Bridgets maiden name was Corless