Author Topic: Short Bros & Harland 1949/1960  (Read 15945 times)

Offline NOSE TURRET

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Short Bros & Harland 1949/1960
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 February 12 05:36 GMT (UK) »
HI FOLKS - CAN'T RECALL THAT NAME JIM McLEAN - I SERVED APPRENTISHIP FROM 1952 TO 59 - ON VARIOUS AIRCRAFT INC. SUNDERLAND FLYING BOATS / BRITTANIAS ETC. - CAN I ASSIST OTHERWISE ? - HAVE PLENTY OF GOOD SHOTS - WAS LOOKING FOR PLAN OF THE PLANT AS I THINK BOMBARDIER HAVE SOLD IT FOR DELMOLITION - WHAT A GREAT SHAME - THANX J.C. IN SYDNEY - AUSTRALIA

Offline Steve146

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 07 February 13 12:42 GMT (UK) »
To Wendl - I have a copy of The Short Story - No 5 which covers the speech given to employees about the move to Belfast. My father Edgar 'Robbie' Robson worked in the Drawing Office and we lived in a Shorts house in Holywood.
I have scanned the booklet so can email.
I am involved with a few aviation groups between Bournemouth and Southampton and am working up a 50min talk entitled 'A Short Story - Long History'

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Shaking the Irish Family Tree from Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 February 13 14:38 GMT (UK) »
To Wendl - I have a copy of The Short Story - No 5 which covers the speech given to employees about the move to Belfast. My father Edgar 'Robbie' Robson worked in the Drawing Office and we lived in a Shorts house in Holywood.
I have scanned the booklet so can email.
I am involved with a few aviation groups between Bournemouth and Southampton and am working up a 50min talk entitled 'A Short Story - Long History'

Hi Steve,

That would be wonderful....unfortunately until you have posted 3 times, you cannot access private messages so I can send you my email address.....I look forward to hearing from you, and appreciate your reply.

All the best
Wendy
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Broun/Brown-Kirriemuir, Forfar, Angus
Carr-Belfast
Close -Belfast, Antrim and Down, Mageraghall; Ontario, Canada 
Crowe- Belfast
Gardiner/Gardner-Belfast, Scotland
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
Lawlor-Belfast, Down: Ontario, Canada
McPherson-Esquising, Ontario
McKernan-Australia
Ramsay-Kirriemuir,Scotland
Thompson-Derry; Ontario-Canada
Walker- Kirriemuir,Forfar,Dundee Scotland
Wilkinson-Belfast

Offline Steve146

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 February 13 14:54 GMT (UK) »
OK - can you access my email or should I post it here?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 07 February 13 14:56 GMT (UK) »
No, members can't see other member's email addresses and you are not allowed to post personal details.

If you make 1 more post you will be able to use PM (Personal Message) system-
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Steve146

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 07 February 13 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Just checking so I can make no 3

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 04 October 13 23:26 BST (UK) »

I have just found this thread and I see it was posted some years ago .Can anyone tell me if these Shorts are my relatives who were the aviation family from Northumberland.   
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline David J Smith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 March 14 17:27 GMT (UK) »
I was a Short Bros. apprentice @ Seaplane works, Rochester from July '45 - Jan '47. They were moving all production to Belfast & works about to close, so we were told to find somewhere else to continue our apprenticeship. I had always been very interested in a/craft ( my uncle had been chauffeur/ mechanic to the Short Bros. @ Leysdown & currently a mechanic @ Rochester airport, so I think that's where the interest started) so I joined the RAF as a Halton app.( went from airframes to aero engines!). Didn't know anyone at Belfast, so can't help you but I do have a couple of Short Story's still. I was going to send them to the RAeS library as they have a few but didn't get around to it! Did take my tools to Rochester museum for WHEN! they get to having a Shorts section- sadly nothing at present. Would like to visit Belfast but is it all shipping there? & is there anyone to contact if I did go please?  Dave55th Smith

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 21 March 14 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello David ,
First of all may I welcome you to Rootschat
there are people who are willing to help you
on any family subject you are looking for

William Short b 1803 was my 3rd Grt Grandfather
His sons were the Short brothers .They had one sister Jane and I come down that line
I'd be most welcome for any information you can give me
At the moment I cannot contact you by PM until you make 2 more postings
If you could do that I will be able to contact you better
Good Luck
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth