Author Topic: Battle of the Boyne, 1690 Account Book  (Read 27501 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Boyne, 1690 Account Book
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 17:09 GMT (UK) »
This is October, 2012 now. I would guess that there hasn't been any word on the release of the information or a book preferably. :(

Oh it will be released "in the very near future......."

Why give it to a place that is pretty much closed, has no archivist??  What idiot in City Hall decided that?? 

I certainly don't expect it will ever see the light of day!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline annlynn9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 17:27 GMT (UK) »
There are several very good reasons for giving the account book to the Orange Order. 

1. William III (William I of England and Ireland) was Prince of Orange of Holland. 
2. The account book relates to those who supported him at the Boyne.
3. His supporters and men who shared their convictions in succeeding generations were (and I believe today are) called Orange Men.
4. It is such men who eventually formed the Orange Order.
5. The Order has been primarily responsible for keeping their history, including William's campaign in Ireland, alive for today's generation.
6. The Order is active, just short-funded.

Donations might help.  In fact, perhaps we could all chip in a bit with designated gifts for the transcription and publication of the account book.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 17:39 GMT (UK) »
I know who William was. I know he was Prince of the House of Orange. I know James was his Uncle. I know William's wife was James' daughter so she'd become Princess of Orange. I know that the Pope and Austrian Archduke funded William's army etc....

But as William was "of Orange"..and James was his uncle, was James "of Orange" too?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annlinn,
               "short of funds"? Have you seen the news this evening?

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 18:46 GMT (UK) »
William of Orange's claim to the English throne was through his mother, Princess Mary; through his father he was William of Orange.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_III_of_England

"short of funds"? Have you seen the news this evening?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20150841
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline annlynn9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 20:28 GMT (UK) »
No, James was not "of Orange". William inherited the Dutch principality of Orange from his Dutch lineage, not through his Scottish forebears, and Prince of Orange was his title before coming to Britain. Continental European borders have changed many times over the centuries, and today Orange lies in France rather than Holland.

And no, I haven't seen the news. I live in Pennsylvania, in the direct path of "Hurricane Sandy". Thankfully, there was no harm to life or limb and our home sustained only minor damage. But a tree fell across the road, taking down all the lines. We only got electricity back last night and cable just an hour ago. So, I've been both preoccupied and out of touch.

Offline annlynn9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 21:13 GMT (UK) »
I just found an "Irish Times" article which states in part: "The institution [Orange Order] has been awarded almost £4 million (€5 million) to build interpretative centres in Belfast and Armagh.  Funding from the European Union’s Peace III programme will be used to revamp the Orange Order headquarters at Schomberg House and Sloan’s House."

Quite a tidy sum! Unfortunately, it is a designated gift from an EU peace program, and I doubt the EU peace program would consider studying and publishing documents from a war as meeting its goals and stated purpose. Everyone desires peace, so I even suspect the Orange Order might put the paymaster's account book from the Battle of the Boyne on hold for the sake of peace. Its discovery came at an unfortunate time in my opinion.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Annlynn, however Aghadowey has put in a link which shows the news I was referring to.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline annlynn9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 31 October 12 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks kingskerswell, and I'm sorry I overlooked the link before. If I'd been more observant, I wouldn't have wasted my time searching (haha). This is my take ... "Quite a tidy sum! Unfortunately, it is a designated gift from an EU peace program, and I doubt the EU peace program would consider studying and publishing documents from a war as meeting its goals and stated purpose. Everyone desires peace, so I even suspect the Orange Order might put the paymaster's account book from the Battle of the Boyne on hold for the sake of peace. Its discovery came at an unfortunate time in my opinion."